Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIY Divorces

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kieron Wood

You do not need a barrister or solicitor for a divorce if ALL the issues are agreed with your spouse. You can do the divorce yourself! (If all the issues are NOT agreed, best to consult a barrister or solicitor. It's free through the Free Legal Advice Centres - FLAC.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wennie

All the issues are agreed. The difficulty is to find the templates to get all the paperwork done.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Aoibhin84

Papers issued to solicitors and to the court today after asking him to do a DIY divorce he refused so hoping he agrees to move forward as sep agreement in place and no assets or kids . fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Aoibhin84 wrote: »
    Papers issued to solicitors and to the court today after asking him to do a DIY divorce he refused so hoping he agrees to move forward as sep agreement in place and no assets or kids . fingers crossed
    Hopefully it will run smoothly.

Why would anyone want to prolong the divorce process when there are no kids or assets!! absolute madness, I see the pain people go through here with children and support so i am so glad that never happened for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I am doing my own divorce. The children will be 18 in November, twins. There are no assets and the ex has stated she will not contest. Just got the forms to serve to her which I will do Monday. As she is not contesting I assume she doesn't need to reply to the forms

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

thecivvie wrote: »
    I am doing my own divorce. The children will be 18 in November, twins. There are no assets and the ex has stated she will not contest. Just got the forms to serve to her which I will do Monday. As she is not contesting I assume she doesn't need to reply to the forms

She needs to sign the forms in front of a competent person (Solicitor,Garda,Priest) to show that she is signing of her own free will with no presure from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Barbie! wrote: »
    She needs to sign the forms in front of a competent person (Solicitor,Garda,Priest) to show that she is signing of her own free will with no presure from anyone.

The court said she needs to sign an affidavit of consent. We have searched till blue in the face looking for a template

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Would anyone be so kind to explain the order of proceedings on the day itself, when going the DIY route?

What can one expect exactly in an uncontested case?
    Do both parties speak, or just the Applicant?
    Do any documents need to be presented?
    Does the Judge speak in laymans terms?

We were given a time of 10AM for our case. If I recall correctly, the Registrar usually goes through all the cases of the day at 9:30, should we be there for that?

Thanks

ANYHELP wrote: »
    Would anyone be so kind to explain the order of proceedings on the day itself, when going the DIY route?

What can one expect exactly in an uncontested case?
    Do both parties speak, or just the Applicant?
    Do any documents need to be presented?
    Does the Judge speak in laymans terms?

We were given a time of 10AM for our case. If I recall correctly, the Registrar usually goes through all the cases of the day at 9:30, should we be there for that?

Thanks
    On the day all the cases that are to be heard are brought into the court where the case will beheld this is aptly known as the call over.
    Plan to be there for 9..so your not late!! During call over at 9:30 all the cases that are due to be heard and where the case is regarding if the parties are in agreement etc...the list can be reduced very quickly. I was 22 before call over and down to 6 after it
    Listen for your case number and be ready for what is asked of you " are both parties in agreement " etc.
    Both parties will be asked to speak. The applicant will be sworn into the witness box and asked a few questions. It can be very daunting but the clerk and the judge will communicate in layman's terms.
    Listen out for your case number and initalls. eg case 1234\17 ab VS cd
    If you and your ex are on talking terms why not talk to each other... Its a nervous day for you both.
    Once all your paperwork is in order and both parties turn up your case will be heard. It can be frightening when you are in for call over with legal teams using legal terms don't dwell on this..every case is different.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

ANYHELP wrote: »

Thanks

Make sure you are in the right number court room!! I sat through the call only to find out I wasn't on the list as I was in the wrong room! Luckily I managed to duck into the right room between cases and apologised. She called me in a couple of cases later!

what happens if the other party says they are not in agreement, can you get turned away?

to be clear there are no children or assets ...

what happens if the other party says they are not in agreement, can you get turned away?
    Yes you can.

Seriously and what happens then? there are no children or assets and sep agreement in place, Why would the system give someome the time of day in that case when they see far more difficult cases every day

Seriously and what happens then? there are no children or assets and sep agreement in place, Why would the system give someome the time of day in that case when they see far more difficult cases every day
    Your ex would need prove that there are good grounds. But the court itself that your case is being heard doesn't really hear any problems that are in place that is for another date..it's more for the granting of the divorce.

the death of an elderly parent last year is not good grounds i hope considering we have nothing to argue over! They are the one with property and better pension pot so they should be running away from me not trying to cause trouble

Advertisement