Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computing Students

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Distributed DB( what is? homogenous,heterogenous, location, user transparency
    That may as well be Chinese to me, I have absolutley no idea what any of that is about. Gonna have to get cracking tomorrow, im hoping the theory mightn't be too bad for some parts, like in SAD parts of the theory in is ok, stuff like project management etc is fairly clear and makes sense, other aspects is just too tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

siblers wrote: »
    That may as well be Chinese to me, I have absolutley no idea what any of that is about. Gonna have to get cracking tomorrow, im hoping the theory mightn't be too bad for some parts, like in SAD parts of the theory in is ok, stuff like project management etc is fairly clear and makes sense, other aspects is just too tricky.

Transaction management and locking are easier am hoping to do that and the lab question and fingers crossed for question 1

Well happy with my SAD result, definitly gonna take the pressure off the exam.

SAD = no longer SAD woo hoo
    thank god for that :)

Any recommendations on a decent database systems book to use?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Sorry man, I don't. There is so much notes to look over in DB and SAD I wouldn't dream of looking at a book at this stage. Everything really is in the notes, if you don't understand a certain topic Wikipedia or Google may be good.

I've pages and pages written out and just starting to go over the whole lot again. I still can't answer many of the questions on the exam paper. The questions are also hard to understand as they are asked very generally i.e Explain concurrent transactions. You could write 5 pages on that if you knew it :)

Yeah, going through transaction management now, the notes are awfully thin but then the book im using has a load of info that isnt in the notes, finding it hard to find the balance between the two of them.

Database Systems - rob,coronell and crockett

The notes are based on a lot of it, no fun reading about db though :(

JFlah wrote: »
    Database Systems - rob,coronell and crockett

The notes are based on a lot of it, no fun reading about db though :(

Will give it a look, spent about 4 hours today doing transaction management, the theory isnt the worst just the sheer volume of it is a bit much at times.

How are ye set for tomorrow? Thank god that the module is heavily weighted towards CAs, just need to try scrape together 12.5 out of 50 and i'll be dancing out that exam hall tomorrow.

• Advertisement

How are ye set for tomorrow? Thank god that the module is heavily weighted towards CAs, just need to try scrape together 12.5 out of 50 and i'll be dancing out that exam hall tomorrow.

relatively confident i can make a good stab at it , only need the bare pass if it all goes wrong which is a nice cushion :)

how did ye find DB today I thought it was ok but long 2 hours was very very tight!

Exam was grand but I still fecked it up, had nowhere near enough time and was rushing, which resulted in me panicing. Think I did enough but for the time I put into studying im fairly annoyed with myself. Have zero energy to study java tonight:(

Thought it was ok. A lot of writing, actually got a blister on my middle finger from the biro :). What I've noticed and annoys me a little from the last two exams is either the clock is fast or the external examiners are slow enough to put out the papers. It was 10 past 9 before we got the papers. Maybe they give time at the end or the clock is fast maybe. Either way, time was tight!

Was happy enough with the normalisation question (same as an example in notes) and the lost update, distributed databases and the log file gave plenty to write about. Wasn't in the mode for the ERD so skipped that.

Like you siblers, bit shattered tonight for OOP. Busy day tomorrow again .

Thought the feckers were very slow off the ball getting us started today, be anxious enough as it is without being kept waiting. Dont understand why the exam isn't 2 and a half hours instead of 2. I definitly left marks behind due to the time.

Thought the feckers were very slow off the ball getting us started today, be anxious enough as it is without being kept waiting. Dont understand why the exam isn't 2 and a half hours instead of 2. I definitly left marks behind due to the time.

those invigilators are not the cheeriest bunch. 2.5 hours and i'd have nailed it as it is I think I did 'ok'. was surprised how many i think missed the exam!

One more exam left! Thank God. I'm worn out from them especially OOP this morning. Wasn't too bad at all, plenty of choice. Was surprised to see an array in q1. Arrays scare me for some reason :) User class was nice and easy though. The save file was a very easy 11 marks also. I actually thought I had code missing it was so little code :)

How are ye set for SAD? At least there are some more practical type questions we can do compared to DBC. An attempt on the DFDs, Feasibily and Network models should give a good mark without doing any theory (that's if they all come up hopefully)

I went through some of the theory in SAD today and its reasonbly straight forward, not too worried about SAD, just need to revise the DFDs tomorrow and that yok with the circles and the lines that goes from left to right and should be ok. Wrecked from all the study at this stage, up at 4am this morning going through java :D

I went through some of the theory in SAD today and its reasonbly straight forward, not too worried about SAD, just need to revise the DFDs tomorrow and that yok with the circles and the lines that goes from left to right and should be ok. Wrecked from all the study at this stage, up at 4am this morning going through java :D

Didn't do anything at all today. Just shattered, its non stop now for well over a month. Went from projects straight into study. Really need a break now, can't wait for the 2 weeks. It actually isn't long enough! :)

It's been a long haul can't wait for the break now, hopefully next semester will be slightly less intense!!!

• Advertisement

Timetable looks hectic enough for next semester, although it appears we have like a 6/7 hour break on a tuesday. Yeah can't wait for the 2 weeks off, so nice not having any projects or exams.

Timetable looks hectic enough for next semester, although it appears we have like a 6/7 hour break on a tuesday. Yeah can't wait for the 2 weeks off, so nice not having any projects or exams.

Id say timetable is a bit off some classes clashing both on at same time! 2 weeks of doing NOTHING wooooooooooo

Well well, 2 weeks of unadulterated freedom.
    That vigilator we had today was a right barrell of laughs. She showed great empathy towards what we've been going under for the last few weeks.

Well well, 2 weeks of unadulterated freedom.
    That vigilator we had today was a right barrell of laughs. She showed great empathy towards what we've been going under for the last few weeks.

SILENCE!! :D

Are they retired school teachers or what? They'd be great as prison guards, they'd might be even too serious.

Also the security guards don't realise that the constant shushing they do is actually more annoying than the talking. In fact when you are inside in the exam, all you hear is them! Not the students talking :rolleyes:

I must be tired with all the complaining, yes two weeks of freedom. It feels strange this evening doing nothing. Awh, relax with a couple beers finally :pac:

Ah its nice to be able to vent in here, helps when you know other folk are going through what you're going through yourself. Not sure what ill do for the 2 weeks, but beer is on the agenda :cool:

Ah its nice to be able to vent in here, helps when you know other folk are going through what you're going through yourself. Not sure what ill do for the 2 weeks, but beer is on the agenda :cool:

it really has been a long long tough haul ... exams were no craic either , all were at least an hour too short !!! SAD was ridiculous time was so tight ...but ........ f**k it tis over now for a little while WoooooooHooooo

Not sure what ill do for the 2 weeks

Sleep in, watch movies, catch up on all my tv shows - dexter, homeland, etc, etc.:D The Mrs also has a list of DIY jobs the length of my arm to get through. It will be actually good again to have a life and be socially. I didn't even visit friends over the Christmas so will catch up in that sort of thing also.

JFlah - SAD was tight, but at least it was predictable. Was easy to get the 25 marks minimum anyway, that added to good CA would bring you into 70's

AntiRip wrote: »
    Sleep in, watch movies, catch up on all my tv shows - dexter, homeland, etc, etc.:D The Mrs also has a list of DIY jobs the length of my arm to get through. It will be actually good again to have a life and be socially. I didn't even visit friends over the Christmas so will catch up in that sort of thing also.

JFlah - SAD was tight, but at least it was predictable. Was easy to get the 25 marks minimum anyway, that added to good CA would bring you into 70's
    ah yeah the 25 was well do-able i still find it confusing though that you get examined on a subject and then don't get enough time to actually display what you may know(in every subject) .roll on relaxation though and like you lots of DIY

Yeah SAD was way too short as well, took me over an hour to do the DFDs and the cost benefit thing took me 2 attempts which left me totally fekced for time. Frustrating leaving marks behind due to lack of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Finally finished. 3 months work placement and my final year project left, then freedom.

Advertisement