Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

• 02-02-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭irishchris

hi everyone

just thought i would mention this new linux open source reciever. i have one ordered so should have it by friday. its sold out accross europe but i ot hold of the one retailer with stock so happy days.

its equivalent to a dm 8000 with the exception it has only 2 tuners, it runs all enigma 2 images including dreambox 8000 images. also runs 90 % of dreambox plugins! for half the price of a dm8000. 419 euro

The box it's name is VU+ Duo and the company that is making it calls Maxdigital.

Specs:
    · Open-Source Linux OS (Enigma2)
    · Broadcom Mips Prosessor
    · Twin DVB-S2 Tuner (Silicon tuner)
    · MPEG2/ H.264 Hardware decoding (DVB compatible)
    · Alphanumeric VFD Display
    · 2 x Common Interface Slots
    · 2 x Smartcard-Reader (Conax Embedded)
    · 10/100 Mbit Ethernet Interface
    · 3 x USB2.0 (1x Front /2x Back)
    · 1 x intern SATA (3,5inch bracket)
    · 1 x E-SATA
    · 1 x V.24/RS232
    · HDMI connection V1.3
    · 2 x Scart
    · YPrPb
    · 1 x S/PDIF for digital Audio(optisch)
    · Extended EPG
    . MHW EPG
    . Fastscan plugin
    · Plugin Support (JPEG,MP3,XVID...)
    . Smartreader+ compatible
    · Compatible with enigma2 plugins en settings
    . Handy help button on the remote
    · Different skins to choose from
    · Videotext
    · DiSEqC 1.0,1.1 en 1.2

Video:
    Video resolution CCIR 601 (720 x 576 lines), 576p, 720p, 1080i
    Video decoding MPEG-2, MPEG-4 compatible
    Input data rate 2-45 MSymb/s
    S/N >53 dB

Audio:
    Decoding AC 3, MPEG-4 (AAC-HE), MPEG-1, Layer 1, 2 and 3
    Sampling rate 32/44.1/48 kHz
    S/N > 65 dB

Power usage:
    < 25W (in use, horizontal / 400mA LNB power)
    < 20W (in use, withoutLNB)
    < 1W (Deep-Standby-Mode)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I was looking at it a while back and following its progress. There seems to be some stability issues with at the moment. One good thing though is the PLI Team are making images for it which should bring more stability rather than using images designed for the 800 or 8000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭irishchris

hi yes its only been 5 weeks out so they are making massive steps forward anw like you said with the daily pli updates and the soon to be released vti panel it def will be a big hitter.only main issue is with two transponder hanging one of the plugins but they seem to be fairly rapid at fixing any bugs with these regular updates. glad to see back of my azbox now!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I was reading about that issue with the transponder but I am sure they will fix it soon. It is looking like doing everything the azbox was meant to do with half of the frustration attached! Let us know how you get on with it when you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dxhound2003

Can it decode MPEG 4:2:2 ?

will do ronan mate once i get it. imagine transponder thing should be sorted soon as they are quick off the mark to fix most bugs by looks of it - not like the half ass attempt of opensat with azbox.
    this reciever like dm 800 does not do 4:2:2 although makers have pointed out it is capable but would be way down on their list of priorities. and mine really. i had azbox for a year - never once used it for a 4:2:2 feed:D

• Advertisement

hi guys

this box is amazing - you can either update via usb to either original/vti image or pli image. takes bout 5 mins and then connected. setup is a breeze. built in sat positioner usals set up straiight away. identical to dm8000 in use. freeze free excellent quality picture
    all plugins setup no probs.

i am running latest vti image 12 sats set up. 7 day full epg for sky uk/sky germany/sky italia and canal nordic.

have this box 3 days and am still in awe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Where did you purchase?? Looks impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Chris

Please keep me updated re any developments on 4:2:2. I know it's of zero interest to you but I'm surprised they won't offer it if the box is capable. It could be a deal clincher for some people.

it was hard to get as is sold out accross europe due to its popularity and widespread news on it on forums europewide but eventually i got it off hm-sat .de
    they have promised 4:2:2 capablities but i suppose they must be concentrating on getting everything else first. considering they are only out 2 months its mad to think how much they have done already.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ted f

I have just ordered mine from a Belgian Company for 419e all in. However that is delivered to Belfast. If you want it here its roughly an extra 13e.
    They only accept bank transfer and you do this by going into, in my case, the AIB, using their eurobill system. There should be no bank charge.
    Send an e mail here, guido@flandersdigital.be, and by reply they will send you an invoice with all the ibans and bics that you need.
    Website (in belgian) http://www.flandersdigital.be/
    Phone number (in english) 0032-3 298 08 16

Looks a great option over the DM 8000 and costs the same as a genuine DM800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Hey all,

Am thinking of taking the plunge and buying one of these boxes, any further reviews from anyone that has one?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

If you have any exposure to tinkering with linux receivers or want to get into it you wont be disappointed.

I have had several receivers and this one beats all.

Even though its new the software is very stable. Either Original, PLi or VTi.

Look on Pli web forum or on VU+ on World of digital.com

The thing is settle on a version that works for you and dont bother with daily updates, update every so often or when you like a new feature.

Rytec EPG is excellent and they will add channels to the EPG on request.

HD quality is excellent (better than Sky or Freesat HD) SD is good sometimes a little blurred (hardly noticeable).

I have recorded 4 hd programs (can record upto 6) watched another or watch an old hd recording.

Has lots of features and can utilise most dreambox HD plugins.

Only things not working or in development is permanent timeshift, DTS audio.

Think of it as a dreambox 8000 deluxe for 40% of the price... Good Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ted f

Had mine 3 weeks now and totally agree about performance and support. Also confirm the price and great service of my suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

The box would be perfect for the Irish market if only it had a DVB-T tuner. With the DB8000 you can setup all your TV requirements integrated in the one STB.
    I don't have a Sky sub or a new mpeg4 tv so need to get the Irish channels from somewhere.
    Having had a Clarketech 5000 for a few years, combi receivers are the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 almac

Hi All,
    just got the Vu+ a few days ago, unfortunately it has lost its decryption settings (with my help after downloading updates) and only shows FTA tv now, can anyone help me to get back up and working - i need go get the correct cccam version and also the server/port/username/pwd settings.

think this breaks forum rules from what i have read elsewhere. couldnt really help anyway mate sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

Is there an official distributor of this box in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Anyone comment on the implications of lack of DTS support?

Will mkv files with DTS audio play back at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

JHMEG wrote: »
    Anyone comment on the implications of lack of DTS support?

Will mkv files with DTS audio play back at all?

http://www.avidemux.org/

Just converts the DTS to AC3.

Free.....

By the way the new Duolabs QBox HD Mini will be retailing in the coming months for 199 - DVB-T DVB-S2 Linux Enigma2 Optional Wifi Built in Diablo.....

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

How you getting on with this box, irishchris?

I was reading various fora regarding this box, and it seems many of the bugs have been fixed, and there seems to be good image support (based on Linux n00bness).

I'm contemplating getting one, as they seem quite versatile. Only drawback for me is the 2 sat tuners, as I'd prefer 1 sat, 1 dvbt.

• Advertisement

still loving this box. its fab! does everything it promised and more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

yes, great box, if they could only get dvb-t working, this box would be unbeatable.

uld be a bonus for when rte eventually get their act together but is not a priority for me. i bouhg tit for its twin tuner sat ability!:D

byte

stanley1 wrote: »
    yes, great box, if they could only get dvb-t working, this box would be unbeatable.
    I read somewhere, that there might be a VU+ box coming out later this year with DVBT and Sat combined. It was a thread comment somewhere, so dunno if it's true or not.

Would it be theoretically possible for a USB DVBT stick to work with the current Duo? Obviously fw would need to allow for it, but I imagine it's technically possible since it's a Linux box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

It seems to be possible, there was a shortage of boxes for manufacturers to work on but that seems to be sorted, we can only wait and see if they can sort out drivers for vu+.

byte

Hm, interesting. Might be hope for the Duo yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

i to am interested in buying a vu+duo receiver,anyone know the best price for one at the moment?

byte

Been looking, all sites seem to be the same - £399 or €479.

Considering buying off Lee at Goldwafers.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭j4vier

http://www.cesarex.com/product_info.php?products_id=635

449 here, i am not sure what's the story with the shipping tbh

i wanted to get a dm500hd from that crowd, and although it said (and still says) free shipping above 249 euro , they told me that they didn't offer the free shipping anymore ..

it's a reliable business btw, just poor customer service

• Advertisement
    byte

Hm, not bad. Postage is €20.40, though sadly with GLS/FedEx.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement