Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HID Lights in the NCT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

He had a good poke around at them but they're very discrete. I recon he spotted the fact the ballasts say Volvo on them and left it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Just a follow up,

Passed today in Limerick without mention, 6000k no washers, no self levelling.

Example of the beam cut off from a few days ago.

That beam cut off doesn't look like projector cut off is it halogen reflector housing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

I'm in a similar situation being that, I wanted xenon lights the most legitimate way I could.

They were offered as an option on my car as xenon reflectors.
    I bought two complete xenon units, installed and aligned them.

There's no distinguishable difference from the outside with the lights off that they are totally different from standard halogens.

Now, when they were factory fitted, washers and self levelling were fitted also.
    But being a Volvo, not all cars that have headlamp washers have xenonsrolleyes.png

From my understanding the NCT manual says manual adjusters are adequate as long as they work.

They washers are a different story however.
    I could install a separate washer pump and jets in the bumper if required.

If there are early 00's cars that never had washers or self levelling will that mean that my set-up is equally legitimate and legal?
    visual wrote: »
    That beam cut off doesn't look like projector cut off is it halogen reflector housing ?

no, OEM HID reflector units

Bulb types are listed on the sticker as D2R, H7 and W5W

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cormicar

I failed on this last week. Anyone know if I can just change the bulbs in my xenon headlight and get a pass. I have a feeling the ballast also needs to be removed. Can anyone confirm how to do this and cable up new bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Have you an aftermarket kit? Just plug it all out and remove the ballasts and replace with normal halogens. Have you reflector lights or projectors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

My old 2010 Octavia vRS passed the nct with flying colors two weeks ago and it had the Hid Kit I installed on it.
    No problems.

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    Have you an aftermarket kit? Just plug it all out and remove the ballasts and replace with normal halogens. Have you reflector lights or projectors?

Yep - I'm pretty sure its after market. It was fitted before I bought the car. Here is 2 pics. Will a H7 bulb fit in there properly. Not sure if they are reflectors or projectors.
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f18/downgrade-xenon-headlight-system-stock-t263898/

I had a quick look under the bonnet and noticed only one light is hid (I think). Could that be right? Also it looks as if the original bulb wires were cut off.

This is a right PITA. Kinda hate these white lights on other cars anyway so am not going to give out too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

My father-in-law's B5.5 Passat has had a HID kit in the projector housings for several years at this stage and had no problem with the NCT in the past. However, it was failed last month in Drogheda where it had been tested previously. They just said it was new rules and that if there was no washers and auto-levelling, the car was failed. I just left the ballasts in situ and replaced the HID bulbs with halogens and it passed.

I think failing for HIDs in reflector lenses makes sense. Failing them in well aligned projector housings is overkill.

Tropheus wrote: »
    My father-in-law's B5.5 Passat has had a HID kit in the projector housings for several years at this stage and had no problem with the NCT in the past. However, it was failed last month in Drogheda where it had been tested previously. They just said it was new rules and that if there was no washers and auto-levelling, the car was failed. I just left the ballasts in situ and replaced the HID bulbs with halogens and it passed.

I think failing for HIDs in reflector lenses makes sense. Failing them in well aligned projector housings is overkill.

Cheers Tropheus. I will just put in halogens and run it through so. Was your existing halogen bulb holder there and did it fit in ok into the projector headlamp. I think mine was actually cut off. Anyone know where to buy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I disagree. Auto-leveling is very important. Otherwise any slight bump in the road will blind other drivers. You might be good at maintaining good headlight alignment but there are a lot of people out there who are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Hogzy wrote: »
    I disagree. Auto-leveling is very important. Otherwise any slight bump in the road will blind other drivers. You might be good at maintaining good headlight alignment but there are a lot of people out there who are not.

Auto leveling doesn't react to bumps in the road it's not that quick, auto leveling is to adjust the headlights based on the load in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

tossy wrote: »
    Auto leveling doesn't react to bumps in the road it's not that quick, auto leveling is to adjust the headlights based on the load in the car.

Ahh. I still wouldnt trust others to be that prudent to adjust the leveling in their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Its not that simple that; reflector means halogen and projector means HID, for example my car has reflector housing designed to work only with HIDS which all Chaser Tourer V cars are equipped with from factory, there is not a "normal bulb" option and no connection for a halogen bulb.

Hogzy wrote: »

The projectors also have a very distinct cut off line so the chances of a "Bump" in the road reaults in blinding others would be as good as impossible I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Failed today, 08 accord (old model). Projector lenses, washers, manual adjustment and aftermarket HID's.

Saw them having a discussion about them, lots of pointing etc going on. They didn't test the alignment, just failed it...Have passed the last two times with the same setup...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Gryzor wrote: »
    Failed today, 08 accord (old model). Projector lenses, washers, manual adjustment and aftermarket HID's.

Saw them having a discussion about them, lots of pointing etc going on. They didn't test the alignment, just failed it...Have passed the last two times with the same setup...

Delighted
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

Headlight condition and headlight aim are two separate tests in the NCT:
    http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/NCT%20Manual%20July%202014.pdf

As mentioned in the PDF, the requirements for HID headlamps changed in April 2012. If your car has aftermarket or factory fitted HID lights, the key thing seems to be whether HID headlamps have been installed as a "complete type-approved system".

It sounds as though your lights do not meet that requirement. If your car passed the NCT in 2012 and 2013 with those lights, you might have grounds for appeal.

However, if the lights were fitted by you or a previous owner as aftermarket you might forced to change them.

I've been dazzled by enough of the "dish" type reflector lights with HID's fitted to see where they're coming from with this regulation. I don't believe that mine behave in the same way, so tbh they'll be going back in after I get the cert.
    The main reason I use them is the amount of extra light they put on the road (and I mean on the road) compared to any halogen bulb I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I don't believe that mine behave in the same way, so tbh they'll be going back in after I get the cert.

Whilst I have no reason to doubt you, have you ever driven against or in front of your own car in pitch darkness? I've rarely seen an aftermarket HID set up that was any improvement on a true set up and even more so, I've been dazzled by nearly every single one. Lights, especially HID's are non trivial, and I really wish people would either spend the proper money or not bother. Just because the road looks a little more white/blue doesn't actually mean you are seeing further. Placebo effect and all that.

I've been dazzled by enough of the "dish" type reflector lights with HID's fitted to see where they're coming from with this regulation. I don't believe that mine behave in the same way, so tbh they'll be going back in after I get the cert.
    The main reason I use them is the amount of extra light they put on the road (and I mean on the road) compared to any halogen bulb I've tried.

Agree that HID lights are great, but if your's are not strictly legal/type-approved, you're walking a line and probably being unfair to other road users.

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    Whilst I have no reason to doubt you, have you ever driven against or in front of your own car in pitch darkness? I've rarely seen an aftermarket HID set up that was any improvement on a true set up and even more so, I've been dazzled by nearly every single one. Lights, especially HID's are non trivial, and I really wish people would either spend the proper money or not bother. Just because the road looks a little more white/blue doesn't actually mean you are seeing further. Placebo effect and all that.

Knew that comment would get a reply ;). I did get the misses to drive towards me, and while I thought it was brighter it didn't dazzle at all. Also never been flashed etc..

I disagree on the brightness. For me, they definitely put more light on the road. Can especially notice it on a dark two lane road with oncoming traffic.

Indeed. I've owned 7 cars and 4 of the have have HID headlamps - one with HID halogen, the other three with bi-xenons.

In all four cases the lights were factory fitted. HID headlamps do make a difference especially on narrow roads. Most of the time I find that I don't have to use full beams - anyway, it's tiresome moving over and back from dipped to full beam on a busy road unless you have a headlight assistant.

I have to disagree with you there.

My past 3 cars ( all the same models ) have had Projector lamps and halogen bulbs.

I fitted HID kits to them all.
    First I use 5k bulbs,
    Second car I use 4300 bulbs.
    current car I reverted back to the 5k bulbs again as for me they were certainly better at lighting up the road ahead of me,

This is since 2010 and have yet to have one driver flash at me.

I also took note of the cut off line before and after the HID upgrade and can most definitely say the cut off line is much sharper with the hid that with halogen bulbs.

As for lighting up the road for distance?
    Can't say I did notice any improvement in "How far I could see"
    But for what I could see was an immense improvement which made me feel more comfortable and safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

pa990 wrote: »
    Delighted
    :D

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Aftermarket hids are a pet hate of mine.

Badly setup, blinding everybody.

And dont get me going about hid fog lights

mikeecho wrote: »
    Aftermarket hids are a pet hate of mine.

Badly setup, blinding everybody.

And dont get me going about hid fog lights

I can guarantee you mine would not blind you.

And yes. I 150% agree with you about hid fogs.
    Total disaster.
    I wonder do they pass the nct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

vectra wrote: »
    I wonder do they pass the nct?

They're not checked. There's an Impreza around my area that drives around with HID fogs. A 747 will land on it one of these days.

They're not checked. There's an Impreza around my area that drives around with HID fogs. A 747 will land on it one of these days.

Stupid really isn't it.

vectra wrote: »
    Stupid really isn't it.

There is a section on the test result form for fog lights though??

Mine is blank, cause they just failed me on basic inspection...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭KNS

Failed the other day. 03 Audi TT. HID Lamps, Mandatory Headlamp Cleaning Device not Working.

Didn't realise this was a fail. Would've checked when doing the bulbs etc. Was working last winter. Hopefully something small. Although on my track record it won't be.

Advertisement