Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It appears that reserve recruitment has ceased

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Copaholic wrote: »
    well in the last few months the whole country has seen how internal matters have been dealt with in AGS.
    With a new commissioner now required its a real opportunity to introduce some radical and much needed reform to include how the reserves are been utilised.
    an outsider is whats required but will they have the b**** to do it.?

the thing that makes me laugh is that after all the corruption we'v seen in the last 2 years or so we actually believe the new commissioner will not only be an outsider but he/she will fight for change and investment..

As if that's ever gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

carzony wrote: »
    the thing that makes me laugh is that after all the corruption we'v seen in the last 2 years or so we actually believe the new commissioner will not only be an outsider but he/she will fight for change and investment..

As if that's ever gonna happen.

One can only hope that things will change after 8yrs, one thing is certain it cant get any worse than it is at the present time, so any bit of change that someone brings to the table is better than nothing.

The previous poster gilly made an excellent post and everything he has said is correct, independent patrol is what is needed, then reserves would not be under a compliment to FT to get out, spending 10hrs stuck in a room after giving up your night to come in is not what i signed up for if i wanted to do that i would sit in front of the tv and do that, i signed up to be an extra pair of eyes and ears and boots on the street to back up my full time collogues, unfortunately both the GRA & AGSI put a stop to that by hammering away each year at their conferences, refuse to work with them if we ignore them enough they will go away, well after 8yrs they have not gone away, maybe they have stopped coming in to the station.

What i would like to know by any of the FT on here, if and i say if reserves where given IP and extra PO powers would you have a problem with it or would you back it, would love to hear your views on this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Copaholic wrote: »
    well in the last few months the whole country has seen how internal matters have been dealt with in AGS.
    With a new commissioner now required its a real opportunity to introduce some radical and much needed reform to include how the reserves are been utilised.
    an outsider is whats required but will they have the b**** to do it.?

The Reserves will be used as they are always used. Cheap cosmetic fraud to give impression of uniforms on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The Reserves will be used as they are always used. Cheap cosmetic fraud to give impression of uniforms on the street.

Same could be said about any volunteer organisation, order of malta, st johns ambulance and many more.

Uniforms on the street well have to say its better to see them then not in my opinion, its a deterrent regardless of the cosmetic of it and it works, same when they made them cardboard cut outs of the Garda cars doing a speed check......... what was the result cars slowed down ................... Job Done !! and that was cheap and cosmetic so it works, just like its meant to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Santa Cruz wrote: »

That ain't our fault Santa Cruz, however as is the norm in this country we look at the UK, rob one of their ideas, and then bring in a watered down, poor man's version of something that works very well in the UK. We see it regularly in pathetic Irish versions of UK television shows, and likewise with the Reserve which is nothing like the UK volunteer force (Special Constables), it beggars belief that the Garda Reserve was allegedly modelled on the UK version, as they are like chalk and cheese. On completion of an excellent two year training programme, Special Constables have the exact same powers as full time officers, can patrol on their own, and god forbid can even drive Police cars.
    Now believe you me Reserves are not looking for anything approaching this, but fit for purpose powers and the ability for Reserves with the relevant experience to patrol in pairs on their own would be a very good start. This would be utilising the Reserve properly, for sadly as it stands we serve little or no purpose, and it's high time that the Reserve was either given the power to function properly or wound down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Hit the nail on the head there gilly2308,.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

JonathanP wrote: »
    I was just on the phone to the reserve office in Dublin and public appointments and both have told me that the focus has turned to the full time trainees and gone from the reserves. No more interviews have been scheduled for the foreseeable future

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me given the numbers just waiting on Garda Medical and checks to come through for them, some who post in here. Once those stages are complete for those waiting, they'd have more than enough numbers ready for more in-takes if ever given the go-ahead again :)

Only time will tell what'll happen with the GR in general though,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Yeah it wouldn't surprise me given the numbers just waiting on Garda Medical and checks to come through for them, some who post in here. Once those stages are complete for those waiting, they'd have more than enough numbers ready for more in-takes if ever given the go-ahead again :)

Only time will tell what'll happen with the GR in general though,
    kerry4sam

The good times are coming , believe me

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JonathanP

tg123 wrote: »

What Do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

tg123 wrote: »

Oh I truly hope so. Looking forward to the day that I hear and read about some positive, optimistic news about our Garda Reserves - so long overdue and sure would be nice to happen :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam
    What Do you mean?

Looking at their posts they are optimistic by nature, but I'm going to presume in this instance they are referring to the New Powers for Garda Reserves :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

What Do you mean?

With the introduction of the new Uniformed Civil Border Unit just about to come on line there is a genuine sea of change about to happen and within that I can see changes for the Reserve happening.

Advertisement