Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefit of been a Garda Reserve

• 28-01-2014 3:25pm
    Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

Straight from the MOJ's mouth, The PAS will be considering active service of a Garda Reserve

Section from KildareStreet Website

Photo of Andrew DoyleAndrew Doyle (Wicklow, Fine Gael)
    Link to this: Individually | In context
    525. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if the process for the current Garda recruitment will give priority to current members of the Garda Reserve in view of the tick-box option on the application form; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [2875/14]

Photo of Alan ShatterAlan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)
    The Garda Síochána (Admissions and Appointments) Regulations 2013 continued in place the provision that, in a competition for full-time membership of An Garda Síochána, the Public Appointments Service shall take into account "any satisfactory service by the person as a reserve member of the Garda Síochána". This provision was introduced in order to acknowledge the beneficial experience and skills gained by a Reserve member.

Photo of Andrew DoyleAndrew Doyle (Wicklow, Fine Gael)
    526. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if he will provide a detailed breakdown of figures of persons who have applied for the recent round of Garda recruitment; the number of these applicants who are currently members of the Garda Reserve; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [2876/14]

Photo of Alan ShatterAlan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)
    The current Garda recruitment campaign is being run by the Public Appointments Service on behalf of the Commissioner of An Garda Síochána. At the time of closing of the competition on 9 January 2014, approximately 25,000 persons had applied through the Public Appointments Service website. A detailed breakdown of the nature and origin of applicants, including for example those who are currently members of the Garda Reserve, is currently not readily available.
    Does this answer the above question?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

That say's nothing about any advantage to a reserve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

So it's of no advantage really. Just what we all thought in the first place.

In fairness, the Reserve was nearly brought in for this experience or as a step into the force just for extra knowledge from members of the community.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

msg11 wrote: »

In fairness, the Reserve was nearly brought in for this experience or as a step into the force just for extra knowledge from members of the community.

So I take it you are not a reserve

A reserve is never posted to his or hers community so where exactly is this extra knowledge coming from

thestar wrote: »
    That say's nothing about any advantage to a reserve?

Read it again.

The Garda Síochána (Admissions and Appointments) Regulations 2013 continued in place the provision that, in a competition for full-time membership of An Garda Síochána, the Public Appointments Service shall take into account "any satisfactory service by the person as a reserve member of the Garda Síochána". This provision was introduced in order to acknowledge the beneficial experience and skills gained by a Reserve member.
    When you interview for any job it is the applicant who has relevant experience who is successful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Raider190 wrote: »
    When you interview for any job it is the applicant who has relevant experience who is successful

I think what people have been trying to say to you is a person can have all the experience in the world but he ain't gonna get in if he is a total toolbag.

This will probably be the biggest disadvantage of some Reserves.

So I take it you are not a reserve

I am !

TheNog wrote: »
    I think what people have been trying to say to you is a person can have all the experience in the world but he ain't gonna get in if he is a total toolbag.

This will probably be the biggest disadvantage of some Reserves.

From my experience , any GR whom I have meet could not be called that. Focused dedicated and eager to get into the full time so making a mistake at the interview stage would be down to a minimum

I am !

If so please then you are not posted in your home neighbourhood .....Correct... so where does this expert knowledge come from ?????????

Never said I was in my own area. Said members with knowledge of the community.

• Advertisement

Never said I was in my own area. Said members with knowledge of the community.

Point taken but what knowledge would a GR have of the community that a regular member would not have ???. I always was mystified by the statement in the past. Granted there are skills which a lot of GR's bring to their duties , first aid , communication skills , self defence , IT , etc

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Lads the whole garda reserve service been taken into account is the same as being a member of the army reserve. It takes into account that you have served in a state body as a volinteer and as such you have first had experience of things like command structure and procedures as well as some valuable skills common to policing. Giving a member of the garda reserve a slot in templemore over anyone else solely due to their reserve status is utter rubbish. The recruitment is a compitetion so the best people for the job get selected simple as that. The statement by shatter does not say anything about favouratism.

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    Lads the whole garda reserve service been taken into account is the same as being a member of the army reserve. It takes into account that you have served in a state body as a volinteer and as such you have first had experience of things like command structure and procedures as well as some valuable skills common to policing. Giving a member of the garda reserve a slot in templemore over anyone else solely due to their reserve status is utter rubbish. The recruitment is a compitetion so the best people for the job get selected simple as that. The statement by shatter does not say anything about favouratism.

Dont agree at all but we will wait for the interviews and see which candidate is the more successful. The one who attends with a glowing reference from his Superintendent or the applicant with no policing experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

With all respect Raider,

You are creating the Reserves v 'Public' debate again,

You are basically saying non reserves havent a hope of getting to TempleM,

If that was the cause no campaign would be launched!#

think of it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

ya, tone it down a bit Raider !

Canyon86 wrote: »
    With all respect Raider,

You are creating the Reserves v 'Public' debate again,

You are basically saying non reserves havent a hope of getting to TempleM,

If that was the cause no campaign would be launched!#

think of it that way

Not at all, I am clearly stating that in all walks of life no matter what job you apply for , when it comes to an interview it is the applicant with relevant experience who has a clear advantage against one who doesn't. The GR who has put a lot of time into the Reserve will be viewed differently than an applicant who has no police experience, now that depends on the preformance at the actual interview be it positive or negative . Much the same as if you go for any other interview the more relevant experience you have the better the chances.

3fullback wrote: »

Why , have I offended you by stating the facts. This an open forum , tone is not an issue for most of people. It is open and logical discussion

3fullback wrote: »

3fullback people in glass house's shouldn't throw stone as you can see from your post below

Originally Posted by 3fullback View Post
    Go back to sleep ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

3fullback people in glass house's shouldn't throw stone as you can see from your post below

Originally Posted by 3fullback View Post
    Go back to sleep ...
    You obviously haven't learn your lesson

Not at all, I am clearly stating that in all walks of life no matter what job you apply for , when it comes to an interview it is the applicant with relevant experience who has a clear advantage against one who doesn't. The GR who has put a lot of time into the Reserve will be viewed differently than an applicant who has no police experience, now that depends on the preformance at the actual interview be it positive or negative . Much the same as if you go for any other interview the more relevant experience you have the better the chances.

Listen raider your on a huge hig horse as regards your garda reserve status. If you were to walk in to a garda interview with your atitude youd get the biggest reality check of your life. Learn a bit of humility will you. Garda reserve have a bit of an advantage but no favouritism wil be shown. The training allows for work experience on phase two and everyone is trained to the same standard regardless of prior experience. In my phase there was people with no experience what so ever and some with experience like the US army. You make out the garda reserve to be anyones only hope of ever becoming a garda in this country. As someone else already said tone it down. Hope your super sees all the crap you put up here well see the glowing recommendation he gives you then.

• Advertisement

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    You obviously haven't learn your lesson

And what lesson would that be ????????????????????????????????????????

Listen raider your on a huge hig horse as regards your garda reserve status. If you were to walk in to a garda interview with your atitude youd get the biggest reality check of your life. Learn a bit of humility will you. Garda reserve have a bit of an advantage but no favouritism wil be shown. The training allows for work experience on phase two and everyone is trained to the same standard regardless of prior experience. In my phase there was people with no experience what so ever and some with experience like the US army. You make out the garda reserve to be anyones only hope of ever becoming a garda in this country. As someone else already said tone it down. Hope your super sees all the crap you put up here well see the glowing recommendation he gives you then.

Ahhh have I upset you , that wasnt my intention , I have only stated the facts every opinion is of value even yours. My attitude is my own business and you got one point right the GR is an advantage , I never stated it was a sure fire access card to the regular and as for my Super already have the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

And what lesson would that be ????????????????????????????????????????

All I know is there is a difference between the words "been" and "being" . That would be a useful lesson to learn!

Ahhh have I upset you , that wasnt my intention , I have only stated the facts every opinion is of value even yours. My attitude is my own business and you got one point right the GR is an advantage , I never stated it was a sure fire access card to the regular and as for my Super already have the recommendation.

Your atitude may be your own business now but to join the garda force you will realise your atitude will become your units and friends business too. The lesson i was taking about raider is humility. Learn to accept others prespectives and you will then appreciate what others have to say.
    Your posta are becoming childish and vindictive. I have said this to you twice now but please for the love of god tone uour atitude down because frankly it stinks.

desbrook wrote: »
    All I know is there is a difference between the words "been" and "being" . That would be a useful lesson to learn!

What does that mean . Slip of the tongue may be .If I have made an error thanks you for pointing it out

Your atitude may be your own business now but to join the garda force you will realise your atitude will become your units and friends business too. The lesson i was taking about raider is humility. Learn to accept others prespectives and you will then appreciate what others have to say.
    Your posta are becoming childish and vindictive. I have said this to you twice now but please for the love of god tone uour atitude down because frankly it stinks.

Again Snakedoc I think I will take the counsel of family members rather than your own. My primary comment was I took offence to your comment calling Reserves busybodies. This was in fact childish and vindictive and offensive. An apology will suffice. And again I state respectfully my tone and attitude is my own business .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

There can be a big difference between the reference the Super gives on paper and what he will give when he gets the phone call to ask "What kind of lamp is this fella" so don't be too cocky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

I can't wait until the campaign finishes, just to see some reserves step down off their high horses. S*** talk from some people on boards won't be long coming to a standstill then.

thekopend wrote: »
    I can't wait until the campaign finishes, just to see some reserves step down off their high horses. S*** talk from some people on boards won't be long coming to a standstill then.

Well dont hold your breath the numbers will be high only stands to reason a Gr who have passed the tests completed a good interview and has the recommendation of his superintendent will get a letter of offer

• Advertisement

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    There can be a big difference between the reference the Super gives on paper and what he will give when he gets the phone call to ask "What kind of lamp is this fella" so don't be too cocky

And that's what you think of superintendents that they would lie on paper and tell the truth on the phone. How many superintendents do you know ? Let's be real here what is written on paper will be the truth good or bad. So been cocky is nothing to do with it, if you are lucky enough to have received a recommendation you are a step closer to getting an offer

Advertisement