Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sugar tax in next month's Budget

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Lol, this year it'll be queues of people in tesco buying coke instead of queues of people buying petrol...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

They don't tax things exclusively unless they make money from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

For the children no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Sugar tax? Bloody fantastic - not! It's hard enough to find drinks without plastic additives in place of sugar as it is.

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

What about diet and zero drinks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

MagicSean wrote: »

now its a fizzy tax thanks to you! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Nanny state strikes again.

****ing joke country

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Heard it on the radio this morning, obesity in children n'all that... So the bright minds in office decide making it more expensive is the solution, like how they tackle most problems. To me it sounds beyond desperate from those fools and really theirs many more ways to try and counter act obesity in kids, but guess what? They wouldn't make any money so they couldn't really give a ****. Cowards. Atleast come out and say you want to bring in more money to pay the rich like you are trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Thankfully there's no sugar in beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Only way this is to fight obesity in children or adults is if every cent is invested in the likes of school sports programs and walking/cycleing paths .....Guess what you can be sure wont be happening with the money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

"First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women"

Typical Irish politicians doing it arseways

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_e_QRSvPmeZA/TOTd6bhHy8I/AAAAAAAAAXE/V6l3PMlT22M/s1600/sugar+pile.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

MagicSean wrote: »
    There just as bad, your body treats The sugar replacmwnts as if they were sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Willy Wonka won't like this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I predicted this :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I'll take a sugar tax over a fat tax any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

fcuk sake, whats next, chip tax? pizza tax? to help curve obesity my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

ted1 wrote: »
    There just as bad, your body treats The sugar replacmwnts as if they were sugar.

In what way exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Stores them as fat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Didn't Denmark just revoke their fat tax and cancelled plans for sugar tax?

If I put sugar in my tea do I have to pay tax?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Interesting that they're getting concerned about our well-being all of a sudden.

Call it what is it is, a bailout tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

they sure did...
    But Denmark is to scrap the fat tax it introduced a little over a year ago – a world first.

The Danish government said it was costly and failed to change people's eating habits.

The Danish Tax Ministry said in a statement: "The fat tax and the extension of the chocolate tax – the so-called sugar tax – has been criticised for increasing prices for the public, increasing companies' administrative costs and putting Danish jobs at risk.

"At the same time it is believed that the fat tax has, to a lesser extent, contributed to Danes travelling across the border to make purchases.

"Against this background, the government and the (far-left) Red Green Party have agreed to abolish the fat tax and cancel the planned sugar tax."

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yes because the locals were going to Germany to buy their junk

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.....Danish......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm glad to see a sugar tax, and so is my tooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yes, instead of raising awareness and mentality towards our diet let's just tax everything.

Marvellous, stupendous, inspirational idea.

It's as much about the kids as Jimmy Saville's goodwill was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yes because the locals were going to Germany to buy their junk

TO NORTHERN IRELAND!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

This is an anti-"designated driver" tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 5dolla12

Dont really see the issue with this tax. Govt needs to raise revenue somehow. At least by putting it on something like fizzy drinks it allows people the option of avoiding the tax by simply not buying fizzy drinks. I would only have a coke or something every now and again, and while it will be a bt annoying to see the price increase, i'd rather have the choice of avoiding it than see this passed on through some new compulsory tax.

Obviously the budget will probably see some increases in compulsory taxes anyway, but at least this will be a very small portion that wont be passed on compulsorily and I can choose to avoid.

Advertisement