Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hamburg

Options
  • 28-08-2012 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi

I'm just wondering how people have found being Irish and living I'm hamburg.I a, particularly interested in knowing where you might have studied German while in hamburg and how you found it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's no different than living in any other German city. Nice city, lots to do and the people are friendly. I haven't studied German here so can't give any recommendations but you would pick it up quickly when conversing with the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Moving to hamburg soon. Any tips or anyone already over there?
    jester77 wrote: »
    It's no different than living in any other German city. Nice city, lots to do and the people are friendly. I haven't studied German here so can't give any recommendations but you would pick it up quickly when conversing with the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sezyboo

I live in Hamburg and like it. It is different to Ireland though. I think it is harder to meet people and make friends but once you do make a friend they are very loyal. There is lots to do and nice places to visit. There are some nice irish pubs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Zed1

Hamburg is a nice city to live in, it's like every other German city really but they're all nice, and the people are lovely and friendly. I actually think it's the German city most like Ireland, but I don't know why I think that. Most Hamburgers speak very good English and are willing to help you if you're struggling. I was working so I didn't learn German there through a school but you definitely pick up the language extremely quick just doing day-to-day things and engaging in easy conversation with locals. They say living in a country and using the language every day even if you know nothing is the fastest way to become fluent. I found I started adding little bits of vocabulary I didn't even know I knew into my day-to-day conversations without even realising because I heard it so much around me!
    I would definitely look into studying German via the Goethe Institute, though if you want a formal course. They have multiple courses in Hamburg for all levels, and the institute is the main body for the study of German. I've done courses with them before, just not in Hamburg. :P

Advertisement