Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Hey guys got the clon half comming on the 10th December and i was trying to maximise the time i have left. Lost a good week to food poisoning so this sat and sunday i will be easing back into it. Last friday was my last run. What would ye make of this as a plan?

Week starting|Monday|Tuesday |Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturaday|Sunday
    ||||||6mile.|8mile 2@half pace|
    28th|4 easy|Speed with club|4-6m|4-6m|4-6m|Rest|13mile 4 @half pace|
    5th|4 easy|8m 2@half|4m|Rest|2mile|RACE|||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Younganne wrote: »
    Hi Nules,
    I did my 3m run and then did the strides after,,,well turned out mine were way too fast, (6.38pace which is a sprint instead of a fast run), and i did them too long (90 - 100 m instead of 60 - 80) and i did 5 of them (cause i couldn't remember if it was 4 -6 or what):eek: so 3 rookie mistakes i'll try not make again. I really enjoyed them and didn't find them tough...maybe your body was tired after your full week last week and the extra week end run.

Other that that I'm up to date with this weeks plan and did Kettlebells last night so appreciating the rest day today and looking forward to the 60 min easy run tomorrow as its Saturday I usually feel the effects from the kettle bells.

Before I never used the HR monitor but now i use it most of the time and try and keep my hr within the range its suppose to be ie * 70%-80% of max hr (Endurance zone) for easy runs....

Hi Anne
    I did everything wrong too. to be honest was just anxious to get home out of the wind and rain so ran the 3 miles as fast as i could and then died for the strides. I must get my HRM out and start using it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Nules10 wrote: »
    Hi Anne
    I did everything wrong too. to be honest was just anxious to get home out of the wind and rain so ran the 3 miles as fast as i could and then died for the strides. I must get my HRM out and start using it too.
    ah sure we live & learn!!!;)
    ye the wind and rain was terrible, i usually run at lunchtime but didn't get out wednesday so had to do it in Navan that evening, in the wind, rain and the dark...i nearly ran into a signpost as oncoming traffic was blinding me and i just saw it at the last second, so lucky escape. it would have been very embarrassing:eek:
    i found the wind very difficult to run in at lunch time yesterday...but don't think i'd let the weather stop me unless its frost & snow...don't think i could venture out in frost...

Bob i can't comment on your schedule as i wouldn't know enough about it...I'm sure the lads will give advice when they are on next...jus take it easy, hope your recovered fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Well this week didn't happen go according to plan but better than last week:)

I got on Monday morning at 6 AM:eek: talk about a shock to the system! Did 4 miles at 9:12 pace so was happy enough with that. Then did the same Wednesday at 9:27 pace again happy enough.

Real life got in the way then - 5 parent teacher meetings then eye & ear hospital trip, dr appointment & blood tests all for different kids, talk about stressful week!!! Couldn't get up Friday for my run but went today instead. Planned to do a 6 mile easy pace run but when I went out my legs just took off. I couldn't believe it, no pains in my leg at all. Just did a 3 mile fast run instead, well fast for me. Up til today a fast run was 9 minute pace but did 8 min pace today. Felt brilliant, last 5 k race I did was in may and it was first race ever with virtually no training so did it in 30mins. Looks like I can knock a good chunk off that for my next one.:D

I know this log is for Raheny in January but lots of us are doing the Jingle Bells so have 5 k in my sights for now. Promise I'll follow the program more closely after that Ecoli....

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

First run back after 2 weeks of being sick in bed. Felt fantastic to be out again, was beginning to get seriously worried about fitness! Did 5.5m tonight and felt I could have done more, but feel great now knowing I'm back on track!

• Advertisement

good to hear run44. amazing how many of us are having issues these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Whats the plan for this week folks. Think we all have had a much better week this week:)

Name|Sessions|Distance|Total|Comments|
    BobMac104|||37m||
    Younganne|4|19|39m|I had a good week & followed the plan...the wind and the rain was tough on a couple of the days, but hey i'm a real runner now so cant let the weather stop me:D
    red face dave|||26m|
    Nules10 |||40|
    Conseng|||12m|
    run44||||
    shazkea|||26m|
    KittyMittens|||13.5m||
    Cutex|||15.5m|
    sunflowerro|||40.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

BobMac104|||37m||
    Younganne|4|19|39m|I had a good week & followed the plan...the wind and the rain was tough on a couple of the days, but hey i'm a real runner now so cant let the weather stop me:D
    red face dave|||26m|
    Nules10 |||40|
    Conseng|||12m|
    run44|1|5.5m|15.5m|Finally back running again :D
    shazkea|||26m|
    KittyMittens|||13.5m||
    Cutex|||15.5m|
    sunflowerro|||40.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey Guys

Sorry this is a little late. Here is the plan for this week for those racing Jingle Bells:

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|2m|3m + 4x60-80m strides|2M|rest|Race|Cross

For anyone aiming for waterford the following week:

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|4m|5m|4M|rest|45mins|30mins

In terms of the strides I should have stated before these can be done after your run and not as part of the run

• Advertisement

BobMac104|2|14|51m|tough getting over the food poisoning but two good runs at the weekend have cheered me up|
    red face dave|||26m|
    Nules10 |||40|
    Conseng|||12m|
    shazkea|||26m|
    KittyMittens|||13.5m||
    Cutex|||15.5m|
    sunflowerro|||40.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

BobMac104|2|14|51m|tough getting over the food poisoning but two good runs at the weekend have cheered me up|
    red face dave|||26m|
    Nules10 |||40|
    Conseng|3|15|27m|had 3 good runs mid week but dodgy knee meant no runs for the weekend.
    shazkea|||26m|
    KittyMittens|||13.5m||
    Cutex|||15.5m|
    sunflowerro|||40.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

red face dave|||26m|
    Nules10 |4|24|64|definitely felt it this week that wind made it so hard
    Conseng|3|15|27m|had 3 good runs mid week but dodgy knee meant no runs for the weekend.
    shazkea|||26m|
    KittyMittens|||13.5m||
    Cutex|||15.5m|
    sunflowerro|||40.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

red face dave|||26m|
    shazkea|||26m|
    KittyMittens|||13.5m||
    Cutex|3|11|26.5m|feeling better with each run-roll on Jingle Bells :D
    sunflowerro|||40.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

Great to see you back run44!

Thanks for the program Ecoli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

red face dave|||26m|
    shazkea|2|8|34m|A combination of a step back week and a missed run has me on low mileage this week
    KittyMittens|||13.5m||
    sunflowerro|||40.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

Not looking forward to Jingle Bells at all on Sat - oh dear god why did I sign up for it :eek:. Looking at it from another angle, all runs/intervals that are due to be done at a current 5km pace will be very slow after saturday :rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

red face dave|4|18.5|44.5m|Good week
    shazkea|2|8|34m|A combination of a step back week and a missed run has me on low mileage this week
    KittyMittens|||13.5m||
    sunflowerro|||40.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

Jesus that was some wind on Saturday and to make it worse I was home in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

KittyMittens|||13.5m||
    sunflowerro|4|21|61.0| Enjoying the shorter miles at the faster pace
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

Have decided to pull out of Jingle Bells for a wkd away instead :). I might do the Aware next Sat instead if still open for entries. Its nice to have a bit of a life back after being a slave to the training for so long (thats my excuse anyway :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

KittyMittens|3|11|24.5m|Another week with not enough miles!|
    sunflowerro|4|21|61.0| Enjoying the shorter miles at the faster pace
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

things seem to be improving slowly for everyone but thats the nature of the beast

How is everyone feeling?
    who is doing the Jingle bells run on Sat..i think its given a cold and windy day so might have to work really hard at it....

I found my run on Sat very tought as there was heavy winds and then had hailstones so my HR was all over the place and the poor dog wasn't happy when the rain came, she hates the rain so ended up with her pulling behind me....:eek:

and then typical after lunch the sun came out:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Younganne wrote: »
    who is doing the Jingle bells run on Sat..i think its given a cold and windy day so might have to work really hard at it....

The weather forecast is making staying in bed sound like a really good idea...

• Advertisement

First run on a cold night, been so mild up until now. Felt warm throughout the run but yet when I went to speed up my legs felt like they couldn't go any faster and were actually really cold. Was only trying to speed up as it was the last half mile and wanted to get home so maybe that was the problem! Finding it hard to get out running often enough, yet every time I go its almost enjoyable :)

First run on a cold night, been so mild up until now. Felt warm throughout the run but yet when I went to speed up my legs felt like they couldn't go any faster and were actually really cold. Was only trying to speed up as it was the last half mile and wanted to get home so maybe that was the problem! Finding it hard to get out running often enough, yet every time I go its almost enjoyable :)

I actually find cold, clear/dry weather lovely for running - much harder to overheat, and it's nice once you warm up. Plenty of that this winter would be great. :)

Hi Kittymittems, I think its suppose to be enjoyable :D and when it stops being enjoyable, then its time to slow down and re-evaluate....

I find some days its the thoughts of going out that i find the hardest, but within 1 min I'm enjoying it and thinking what was all the fuss about!!! If i don;'t really feel like going i trick myself and say i'll just go and do 1 m out and 1 m back and it will be enought but i never shorten the run, unless im on the threadmill and its too easy to stop so i only use it when i have no other choice:rolleyes:

That kind of weather is lovely, now if someone could switch off the wind that would be good too!

now if someone could switch off the wind that would be good too!
    Definitely, especially when I'm on the bike! :eek:

The wind is brilliant if you're running with it - I had it for all of 5 mins last night and felt like I was flying :D.
    The rest of the 8 miles were a reality check :rolleyes: - beside the sea with some gusts that literally took my breath away. I wore capris and my legs were red raw afterwards. But I really enjoyed it despite it being hard work

Now as you say turn off that wind machine for Sat morning please or even better make sure the wind is behind me the whole way!

How's everyone feeling for Jingle Bells - I hate 5kms so not looking forward to it but it has to be done!

shazkea wrote: »

How's everyone feeling for Jingle Bells - I hate 5kms so not looking forward to it but it has to be done!

I am very confident ;) That you all will do well. I will be there cheering you all on. Friend bailed out and i am not bothered with doing this race. :)

shazkea wrote: »
    Had been feeling pretty good about it, honestly do not care now though.

I'm looking forward to it as its my first 5k race!!
    I'm like a child waiting for Santa:D

Where are we going to meet or how will we know each other.....

• Advertisement

Nules10 wrote: »
    I am very confident ;) That you all will do well. I will be there cheering you all on. Friend bailed out and i am not bothered with doing this race. :)

You do have other friends running it so no excuse to bail...just saying like :D:D

Advertisement