Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you circumcised?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No, I've still got that bad-boy!

Anybody had a negative reaction to having one, in eg. the US? My preconception is that most lads (heh) over there are circumcised, so it's unusual to have foreskin. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Male genital mutilation? Thanks but no thanks.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dave! wrote: »
    No, I've still got that bad-boy!

Anybody had a negative reaction to having one, in eg. the US? My preconception is that most lads (heh) over there are circumcised, so it's unusual to have foreskin. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

Circumcision is hugely prevalent in the States for newborn boys, something like half have it done. It used to be more common here too apparently. When I was born my grandmother kept pushing my mother to have me circumcised, but my mother refused as she couldn't bear the thought of her firstborn being mutilated. Thanks Ma. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Hagar wrote: »
    Male genital mutilation? Thanks but no thanks.

In fairness Hagar, there's a world of difference between circumcision and genital mutilation. It's origins are entirely practical and introduced into religious practice by means of ensuring everyone did it for the greater good. Sand can get everywhere...

I'm not circumcised, nor would I see any reason beyond something medical to get it done to either myself or a future son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Kharn wrote: »
    In fairness Hagar, there's a world of difference between circumcision and genital mutilation.
    Wait until it's your willie on the chopping block. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Nope. I'm still intact :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 horsenaughton

Yes I am got it done as a child for medical reasons not sure what they were though. it still works grand and have had no complaints from the ladies yet some even prefer it. you less likely to pick up std if you are circumcised.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Had it done when I was about 4, for medical reasons. The foreskin was simply too tight, so it had to go.

Don't miss it. As stated by others before me though, I wouldn't do it unless it was medically required, same with any offspring that may come along in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Gone but not forgotten! I had to have circumcision for medical reasons a few years ago- it was too tight, tried all the steroid creams stretching etc but eventually had to go for the medical option due to a buildup of scar tissue... :eek:

As Wibbs pointed out earlier though, there are sensitivity issues. I can go for a long long time - too long sometimes - chafing of bits etc is not good :o

Mine was a relatively conservative job, ie, the minimum of skin was removed in case they had to correct post-op scar tissue. So it looks a bit like a little bald man putting on a turtle neck jumper... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

had the old boy taken care off when i was young,
    love it this way, seems by some accounts to be cleaner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

My mam told me one particular awkward night after a few glasses of wine that when she had my older brother that a quick check for foreskin looseness was standard procedure for babies to determine if circumcision was required but when she had me five years later, no nurse or doctor ever checked.

I'm curious. Does anybody know if that particular check is/was standard operating procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Nope I'm still all there down there. I don't think I've ever met anybody over here who's had it done for any reason that's not medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

Kharn wrote: »
    In fairness Sand can get everywhere...

How the feck can sand get under your foreskin??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Never got busy on a beach? :pac:

Passenger wrote: »
    How the feck can sand get under your foreskin??

Have you never found sand in your sandwiches after visiting the beach despite the fact that you never even opened the cooler box they were in because the weather turned bad?

Sand gets everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nope and no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

javaboy wrote: »
    Have you never found sand in your sandwiches after visiting the beach despite the fact that you never even opened the cooler box they were in because the weather turned bad?

Sand gets everywhere.

Unless you're cavorting around the beach with your jock strap around your ankles and somebody is horsing sand at your dingly-dangly then it's difficult to imagine sand of any texture getting in there. Butt-crack maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not currently, but will be sometime in the near future (for medical reasons). Not looking forward to it, to be honest :eek:

Alun wrote: »
    Not currently, but will be sometime in the near future (for medical reasons). Not looking forward to it, to be honest :eek:

Nothing to worry about mate! Of course, count on severe 'shrinkage' It's amazing how the little guy turtles when approached by guy in a gown, with rubber gloves, and a hypodermic needle...

So after he pulls it out of your abdomen, yeah, you really feel the first of three needles going into the base of your cock (I had it done under local anesthetic - hardcore!). But the second and third needle you barely feel...

Then the nurse sparks up this sorta cauterising thingy that looks like a soldering iron, in case any of your blue veins really start to bleed. Meanwhile the doc gets to work with a scalpel and a scissors, and then threads it all back together again. Don't worry, you don't feel a thing - just get the odd tugging sensation. Some of the questions that go through your mind (ok my mind) as you watch are like:

"why did I have to get a Nigerian nurse on my most 'shrinkaged' ever outing...?"

"Is her smile just plain friendly or downright amused...?"

"Will I ever regain feeling in my penis again...?"

So obviously the next few weeks are going to be painfully tender and night erections are a killer, and you won't be able to shag for about six weeks minimum, but at the end of the day, it was all fairly manageable, and (I'm reliably informed...:rolleyes:) nothing like as painful as childbirth...

Hope I haven't scared you off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

milod wrote: »
    I've read enough circumcision threads over on PI to know it isn't going to be a ride in the park :D I didn't know about the local anaesthetic though .. that sounds a bit weird to be honest, sitting there hearing everything, and presumably being able to take a look :eek: while they get to work. Do they offer a general anaesthetic as an option as well. I've got an appointment with the surgeon in 3 weeks, so I'll ask him then, but I've no idea when I'll actually get the op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

"why did I have to get a Nigerian nurse on my most 'shrinkaged' ever outing...?"

You should've taken advantage of the situation, how many other times will you be able to tell a woman its normally bigger and get her opinion on it, without getting a slap??

Alun wrote: »
    I've read enough circumcision threads over on PI to know it isn't going to be a ride in the park :D I didn't know about the local anaesthetic though .. that sounds a bit weird to be honest, sitting there hearing everything, and presumably being able to take a look :eek: while they get to work. Do they offer a general anaesthetic as an option as well. I've got an appointment with the surgeon in 3 weeks, so I'll ask him then, but I've no idea when I'll actually get the op.

Yep was referred to Mr Lynch from St James Hospital who operates privately from a clinic in Churchtown. He only does local anaesthetic procedures as he thinks it's stoopid to go thru the whole hospital procedure for a bit of skin...

how many other times will you be able to tell a woman its normally bigger and get her opinion on it, without getting a slap??

But I always say that! :D "Don't worry love it's a grower, not a shower..."

that Seinfeld episode came to mind, where George has a swim in cold water...

"They know about shrinkage, right?!"

Seriously though, raw, naked fear has an even worse effect... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Frances Sticky Greenery

Yes, and I gave the doctor a rather large tip too :pac:

So after he pulls it out of your abdomen, yeah, you really feel the first of three needles going into the base of your cock (I had it done under local anesthetic - hardcore!). But the second and third needle you barely feel...

Then the nurse sparks up this sorta cauterising thingy that looks like a soldering iron, in case any of your blue veins really start to bleed. Meanwhile the doc gets to work with a scalpel and a scissors, and then threads it all back together again. Don't worry, you don't feel a thing - just get the odd tugging sensation.

I'm never likely to get circumcised but I still read that post with a grimace on my face and my legs crossed. And I'd say I'm not the only bloke.

/shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Nothing to worry about mate! Of course, count on severe 'shrinkage' It's amazing how the little guy turtles when approached by guy in a gown, with rubber gloves, and a hypodermic needle...

Then the nurse sparks up this sorta cauterising thingy that looks like a soldering iron, in case any of your blue veins really start to bleed. Meanwhile the doc gets to work with a scalpel and a scissors, and then threads it all back together again. Don't worry, you don't feel a thing - just get the odd tugging sensation. Some of the questions that go through your mind (ok my mind) as you watch are like:

"Is her smile just plain friendly or downright amused...?"

"Will I ever regain feeling in my penis again...?"

So obviously the next few weeks are going to be painfully tender and night erections are a killer, and you won't be able to shag for about six weeks minimum, but at the end of the day, it was all fairly manageable, and (I'm reliably informed...:rolleyes:) nothing like as painful as childbirth...

I needed to get it it done a while ago because of a tight foreskin. General anesthetic all the way - there's no need to be a hero!

I had the erection 'stinger' problem too, unfortunately you've no control when you're asleep.

There are benefits to having it done if you have a tight foreskin. In my case my penis is now bigger flaccid and erect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 slx

Yup - had it done a few years ago for medical reasons.
    No where near as bad as I thought it'd be & it works fine afterwards! no complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭gazzer

I got it done for medical reasons when I was 13. I still remember the pain of bathing Gazzer Junior in a basin of Savalon and warm water for a few weeks after the op :eek: Funnilly enough my brother had to have it done for the same reasons as me 22 years later.

Advertisement