Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

They system in place is as follows - Roscommon/Galway/Mayo have a home and away agreement for alternate years. Whether the match is a quarter-final, semi-final or final doesn't matter. Whoever played away the last time they met gets home advantage next time.

With Sligo and Leitrim the same home and away agreement is in place for all matches except they don't get home advantage if it's a Connacht final. As far as I know, if it's the other team's turn for home advantage they get it, but when it's Sligo/Leitrim's turn they get to choose the venue (one of the big three stadia), which won't be Markievicz or Pairc Sean as they are deemed too small to host the event.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    If Roscommon last played Mayo/Galway at home then the next match should be away. that's common sense. It's not other counties fault that Roscommon can't provide a suitable ground. if after this year, it looks long term like Roscommon will have no home ground, then maybe rearrange the agreement to neutral every year. No way the winner of Mayo/Galway should agree to that this year however

Next year it's Roscommon's turn to play away to either Galway or Mayo, so it's not going to be an issue in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

megadodge wrote: »
    As far as I know, if it's the other team's turn for home advantage they get it, but when it's Sligo/Leitrim's turn they get to choose the venue (one of the big three stadia), which won't be Markievicz or Pairc Sean as they are deemed too small to host the event.

no sligo/leitrim get choice of neutral venue for the final regardless. in 2010 sligo had mayo at home and the next time they played ie 2012 connacht final was in a neutral venue (the hyde). mayo haven't played sligo since 2012 but if they got them again in the 2015 final it would again be a neutral venue (salthill)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I think the taking turns thing is fair in one sense, but takes part of the luck of the draw away

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

So it's neutral of weve galway and in castlebar if we've the mayos. Id fancy us to beat galway but not the mayos in castlebar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

So it's neutral of weve galway and in castlebar if we've the mayos. Id fancy us to beat galway but not the mayos in castlebar

I would imagine Castlebar would also be the venue if it's Galway.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I would imagine Castlebar would also be the venue if it's Galway.

Roscommon are due to play Galway away next time we meet. Ros played Galway in the Hyde in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

megadodge wrote: »
    Roscommon are due to play Galway away next time we meet. Ros played Galway in the Hyde in 2012.

We are trying to delete that game from our memories although our last game in Salthill was an absolute thumping too :(

To bigger and brighter days in 2015 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

5 in a row roscommon titles for bridgets. getting worrying though that bridgets are so far ahead of everyone else in the county and very few future county players on their panel

St Brigids 3-12 St Faithleachs 0-7

rossie1977 wrote: »
    5 in a row roscommon titles for bridgets. getting worrying though that bridgets are so far ahead of everyone else in the county and very few future county players on their panel

St Brigids 3-12 St Faithleachs 0-7

Some win for them, I seen a bit of the mayo final on tv and I dont think brigids have too much to worry about from ballytubber, is it corofin on the other side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Best performance by Brigids since the AI final last year. Five in a row and 8 in 10 years tells its own story about where Brigids are. They are simply the best club team in the history of Roscommon football and that includes the great Clann team of the late 80s and early 90s.

It's up to everyone else to raise up their efforts than trying to wait for Brigids to fall back. We have a gold standard in the county and if clubs need the blueprint for success they only need to cast their eyes down to Kiltoom/Cam.

Paraig Kelly needs to be on the county panel next year.

Ballintubber are flying too and no one will be looking beyond the date at McHale Park in November.

Syferus wrote: »
    Best performance by Brigids since the AI final last year. Five in a row and 8 in 10 years tells its own story about where Brigids are. They are simply the best club team in the history of Roscommon football and that includes the great Clann team of the late 80s and early 90s.

It's up to everyone else to raise up their efforts than trying to wait for Brigids to fall back. We have a gold standard in the county and if clubs need the blueprint for success they only need to cast their eyes down to Kiltoom/Cam.

Paraig Kelly needs to be on the county panel next year.

Ballintubber are flying too and no one will be looking beyond the date at McHale Park in November.

Your right, must be the best team ever in Ros, Did you take any snaps at the match today, you had some mighty ones the last year

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Your right, must be the best team ever in Ros, Did you take any snaps at the match today, you had some mighty ones the last year
    Clann were a serious outfit and incredibly unlucky not to win an All Ireland.4 AI's in a row and I think 6 connaught titles in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Five in a row and 8 in 10 years tells its own story about where Brigids are. They are simply the best club team in the history of Roscommon football and that includes the great Clann team of the late 80s and early 90s.

Very debatable are you old to see those Clann na nGael sides play?

For the record they won eight in a row county titles and 16 in two decades. 6 in a row Connacht titles and reached four All Ireland finals in a row.

Very debatable are you old to see those Clann na nGael sides play?

For the record they won eight in a row county titles and 16 in two decades. 6 in a row Connacht titles and reached four All Ireland finals in a row.

The game has changed immeasurably since even the late 90s. The best club teams now are far more professional than they were coming up on now 30 years ago. The same applies at county level.

Clann were the great losers, Brigids are the great winners. Winning one will always count more than any number of losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The game has changed immeasurably since even the late 90s. The best club teams now are far more professional than they were coming up on now 30 years ago. The same applies at county level.

Clann were the great losers, Brigids are the great winners. Winning one will always count more than any number of losses.

Ya i have read that opinion a few times on modern football and it comes mostly from those that just started watching football the last 10 or 15 years.

If thats your true view especially the bit in bold then its probably best you keep it to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Brigids altered their style of football and approach to games after the first All Ireland loss. It is what got them over the line the second time
    It also helps that they are probably the best run club in the county in terms of finance, facilities, organisation etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Brigids altered their style of football and approach to games after the first All Ireland loss. It is what got them over the line the second time
    It also helps that they are probably the best run club in the county in terms of finance, facilities, organisation etc

Altered their style after that defeat to near neighbours Garrycastle I'd say. McHale,McHugh arrived then but like Mayo have found out you need extra bit of luck to get over the line something that Clann probably didn't have. A ridiculous comment above to call Clann great losers when they still hold the record for the amount of Roscommon,Connacht titles won.

Ya i have read that opinion a few times on modern football and it comes mostly from those that just started watching football the last 10 or 15 years.

If thats your true view especially the bit in bold then its probably best you keep it to yourself.

And I have read the opposite from those who have forgotten what football was like before 10 or 15 years ago. Next thing TG4 All-Ireland Gold comes on and there's not a peep from them.

Sentiment has a very strange effect on the memory.

For what it's worth, one win is worth more than any amount of losses. Ask any Mayo person.

Brigids were able to cross the line and Clann weren't. Of course, that doesn't make Clann "losers", which is a very harsh assessment, but it's all about winning and on the big day Clann consistently came up short.

It really was an awful shame that they didn't nail at least one, as some of their semi-final wins were outstanding against-the-odds displays, but when they couldn't beat a side as relatively inexperienced as Baltinglass (Tony Mac was marked by a 19 year old that day) and Brigids have Nemo and Crossmaglen on their list of vanquished opponents, I know who I think is the better team. With no disrespect intended.

• Advertisement

Anyone read Shane Curran's book?

Good read, the first chapter on the nervous tension in the dressing room before a game is extremely well written.
    I would have loved much more in depth stuff on the football side of things though esp individual games, team tactics and preparation eg. the 01 provincial win was pretty much covered in a couple of paragraphs.

Some funny stuff in it like the chat with O'Hara before his free in 04 replay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I think Brigids losing today will actually be good for the county team
    huge campaign to stay in Division 2 coming up and all the Brigids players can now prepare for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I think Brigids losing today will actually be good for the county team
    huge campaign to stay in Division 2 coming up and all the Brigids players can now prepare for that
    I'd say the u21s involvement in championship football will cause more hassle than brigids ever would. Most of Brigids best players are too old for county football.

Could be the end of the era for brigids, mighty team but a few nights be the wrong side of the 30 now

New Jersey not to bad, I like the lines going down it. never heard of the sponsor , i had heard Ros Mart would be the sponsor but dont know what happened there,

New Jersey not to bad, I like the lines going down it. never heard of the sponsor , i had heard Ros Mart would be the sponsor but dont know what happened there,

Yeah very nice retro effect in the style of 4 in a row team. Think its a tribute to the late Dermot Early. The new sponsor is based in San Francisco I think and played for Ros with Dermot, can't think of his name. Think he travelled to the States on a football trip and stayed illegally and made it big in the building trade.
    He doesn't want to really publicise his sponsorship hence Club Rossie on the jersey. Is his name Tom Hogan or something like that?

The sponsor kind of ruins the look of it, heard he's a builder in america, suppose theres not much point in putting the name of his company on the Jersey if hes no work here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

New sponsor is Tom Hunt,played for Ros in the 70's .He has a huge civil engineering company in San Fran.Fair play to him for sponsoring the 3 teams and not exactly getting much from it like most sponsors through advertising .

More money then sense as they say ,

• Advertisement

Cop yourself on.

Advertisement