Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Arann pilots to strike!

• 21-07-2012 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any idea what this is all about?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0721/1224320530473.html

"Aer Arann The Irish Airline Pilots’ Association (IALPA) has served strike notice on Aer Arann to take effect on Friday July 27th.

Aer Arann confirmed yesterday that it had received notification of industrial action on Thursday evening.

“This has come as a complete surprise, particularly as it is the first communication received concerning such matters,” an Aer Arann spokeswoman said last night. “We have moved immediately to clarify what has led to this development. A speedy resolution to this issue is in everyone’s interest.

“Customers can be assured that all of the airline’s services continue to operate as normal at this time.”

A spokesman for the union declined to comment on the issuance of strike notice last night.

The timing of the proposed strike coincides with the opening day of the Olympics, which are being held in London from July 27th to August 12th, which could cause travel disruptions for those using the airline to travel to the games. Aer Arann operates services to London Southend, London-Luton and London City."

It seems management don't know much about it either? I know some of the stuff on Pprune isn't very pro-management, but what exactly is going on with them?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

If this goes ahead, the biggest loser here will be Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Management may have known little about the strike action but they are very aware of the unhappiness in their pilot ranks for many years.

A recent mass exodus of pilots to Virgin Australia and other Oz airlines was probably the final nail in the coffin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I didn't know they flew to London City Airport.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lapin wrote: »
    I didn't know they flew to London City Airport.

To/from the Isle of Man, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

DOCARCH wrote: »
    To/from the Isle of Man, afaik.
    I think thats gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

roundymac wrote: »
    I think thats gone.

Your right! Just looked at their route map http://www.aerarann.com/travel_information/destinations.htm no mention of LCY.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

As much as I wish people get treated fairly and paided appropriately this puts a rather bad taste in the mouth.

Striking at even the best of time will inconvience people.
    Striking at the beginning of the Olypmics could cause people to miss something they may never get a chance to see again. (Talking about people who cant afford to travel to the games from a further distance than Ireland to London)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

It's been called off after dicussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

castie wrote: »
    As much as I wish people get treated fairly and paided appropriately this puts a rather bad taste in the mouth.

do you think every strike is justified then? rarely have i seen strikes taking place for actual discrimination, its normally over greed and pettyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Lustrum

I know there was a big exodus out to Oz alright, but what's this dispute over? Is it pay, hours, conditions, or just bad management? Anyone working there want to tell us what it's like?

• Advertisement
Advertisement