Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford Focus 04 1388 drive belt whine?

• 24-10-2014 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

When the engine is well warmed up and after a few miles driving my wifes Ford Focus develops what I can best describe as a "rubbery whine" sound from the drive belt when its idling.

Belt seems OK and I'd happily replace it but I was wondering if this noise is possibly related to a problem with the alternator or water pump?

Any suggestions as to ruling out issues with items other than the belt itself although I might have answered my own question because replacing a relatively cheap belt would rule them out if it fixed the noise :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭blackbox

Power steering pump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

blackbox wrote: »
    Power steering pump?

Yep thats there as well but I've never heard of an issue with them. Its really that my wife keeps asking me what I think the problem is. I don't think there is a problem but will replace the belt in the next couple of weeks just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The belt wouldn't be making a whine if it was bad. It would screech on startup and then moving off in gear usually. I would be looking at what parts are run off the belt, pulleys etc. I would suggest bringing to a garage as they will be able to tell by sound which part needs replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

my3cents wrote: »
    Yep thats there as well but I've never heard of an issue with them. Its really that my wife keeps asking me what I think the problem is. I don't think there is a problem but will replace the belt in the next couple of weeks just in case.
    Those power steering pumps can leak. Check the ps fluid level and have a good look underneath the engine on the timing belt side for any wet oily patches. If all is good just replace the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you take off the belt and spin each of the pulleys by hand - power steering, alternator, water pump, idler/tensioner, etc. you might be able to hear or feel which of them is making the noise.

• Advertisement

Job is on the long figure now :o My wife drove 200 miles in the car today with no sign of the noise she has been complaining of. I'll still get the drive belt ready just in case as it shouldn't be more than €25.

I've done my back in so I'm in no hurry to go bending over an engine then crawling underneath the car if I don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Its most likely a stretchy type belt too...be warned dont attempt to fit it without the correct tool, your back wont thank you for it and the air will be blue

Waterson wrote: »
    Its most likely a stretchy type belt too...be warned dont attempt to fit it without the correct tool, your back wont thank you for it and the air will be blue

I noticed when I looked the part up there was also a tool part number mentioned any idea what tool it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

As there is no tensioner on those drivetrains, the belt has to be fed onto the pulleys via a tool located onto the waterpump and crankshaft pulley (there are alternative universal types I believe) that effectively stretches the belt into place. There are a few different methods of fitting them without the tool, but really I wouldnt advise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

if you get a genuine belt it comes with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement