Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

October 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

cruais wrote: »
    Ladies, just a quick question about maternity leave. I would love to obviously get the max out of it, and so asked my consultant this morning what was the max i could work up to.

She told me that it was generally 38 weeks, but that i wont be feeling as good in 10 or so weeks time as i do now so to think about it.

My friend told me to tell work im due a week later than i really am as its generally accepted that you go over on your first, so i am confused.

Any advice?

You have to supply work with a cert to verify your due date so I'm not sure how you could get away with it.

Under the Maternity Protection Act at least 2 weeks have to be taken before the end of the week of your baby's expected birth and at least 4 weeks after.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

nono2012 wrote: »
    Hi ladies, quick question for any of you that have your appointments in the Ennis clinic on a Wednesday. Does it go on your appointment time or is a case of first come first seen?? :)

Nono I had only 1 appointment in ennis before I was deemed high risk and moved back to limerick but I was a bit early that day and got seen to quicker than other ladies who were at the same time. So I'm guessing first come, first seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nono2012

thanks for the reply orlyice, yes it seemed thats the way things work there :) how is everyone feeling, I am 6 mths today and wow that has flown :)

Hi ladies. Just filling ye in on where I am. I'm in labour now, at 26 weeks, 4cm dilated. Waters haven't gone yet. Got steroids earlier to try strengthen baby's lungs, hoping to hold off until midnight so can get the second important steroid jab.

Woke up this morning to pains and a bleed, had a very light bleed yesterday but everything looked ok so sent home. So came in this morning, was having contractions every 5 minutes but they have eased off a lot, gone very mild and far apart. So praying he will stay in as long as possible. Haven't told family yet, have enough going on and they will be only worrying. But needed to share with someone. But this isn't affecting baby, he isn't bothered at all, heartbeat is very strong all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

orlyice wrote: »
    Hi ladies. Just filling ye in on where I am. I'm in labour now, at 26 weeks, 4cm dilated. Waters haven't gone yet. Got steroids earlier to try strengthen baby's lungs, hoping to hold off until midnight so can get the second important steroid jab.

Woke up this morning to pains and a bleed, had a very light bleed yesterday but everything looked ok so sent home. So came in this morning, was having contractions every 5 minutes but they have eased off a lot, gone very mild and far apart. So praying he will stay in as long as possible. Haven't told family yet, have enough going on and they will be only worrying. But needed to share with someone. But this isn't affecting baby, he isn't bothered at all, heartbeat is very strong all day.

Hope everything goes ok. At least your getting the steroids. Xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

Best of luck Orlyice, over the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dawnied

best of luck, hope all goes well x

a baby boy born at 12:30am weighting a teeny 2lbs 1 ounce. Doing really well for his weeks, tried to cry and all. In icu, so one day at a time but right now they are happy with him, no name as of yet.

To say we are shocked is an understatement. Hubby went home around 10 to get me few bits, was checked around 12 and fully dilated. Hubby arrived back and got got second steroid injection at 12:15 so he only got a little bit in his system before he arrived. Paediatric team had only just arrived before he was born and he stabilised very quickly. Went to see him and in icu, he is teeny, loads of wires everywhere but not on oxygen which is good for his age.

Thanks everyone for their good wishes, still have a few pms to get to in next few days. I will try keep ye updated.

Orlyice, Mr orlyice and baby x

O wow, orlyice, Congratulations.., sorry I am only seeing this now.. hope ye are all doing ok. I am glad to hear the little man is doing well. I am thinking of ye and yere little baby and hopefully he will grow strong and be home with ye in no time :) xx ..

Congrats Orlyice , wishing you and the little one all the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Congratulations Orlyice. Bit sooner than you obv expected but he's in safe hands.

(You will have busy time ahead but keep us updated on how well he doing please god.)

Take care x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Congrats - an early entrance !! Its a good sign he's not on oxygen

Little update, baby boy is doing remarkably so far, Off ventilator after 12 hours, on a cpap machine which helps breathing too but if he keeps going the way he is then he will be off that in no time too! Really remarkable how much stronger he gets every time I go down. Has even started crying which is heartbreaking when I can't pick him up and cuddle him. Changed 2 nappies for him, second one was the icky meconium one so bowels are working. The plan is to take him out of incubator today for a few minutes so I can do a little skin-to-skin with him. I am struggling with getting my own supply going, which is why I am up in the middle of the night, taking a break from trying to get a few more precious drops, But as they keep reminding me, my supply is premature too!

Have to also mention, the staff in Limerick maternity hospital have been so fantastic since we arrived in here. Couldn't fault them at all, everyone has been absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Congratulations on your baby boy, orlyice! I'm just popping in from the September 2015 thread. Glad to hear that you are both doing well and will be checking back for updates on your little one. :)

Great to hear he is doing so well Orlyice

Orlyice that's great news, I am delighted he is doing so well, he will get stronger and stronger as the days go on and you will be able to take him home in no time. Also fair play to the staff in Limerick, its a relief to hear they are looking after ye so well.. Please keep us posted and big hugs and kissed to all of ye :) xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Orlyice try to remember when he cries and you can't cuddle him that that's a very good sign with premature babies, when they are able to cry, as it shows they have enough strength and air in their lungs to do it. Lots of the tiny babies in SCBU when my son was there were very, very quiet :(

Delighted your little boy is doing so well. Check out the Extended Breastfeeding in Ireland page on fb if you want advice and support of feeding him, it's not actually just for extended feeding now as the title says!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 hawii50

Wow Orylice congratulations! I'm so delighted to hear he is doing so well, what a little trooper!!! Glad to hear you are both being well looked after, it makes such a difference. Please do keep us informed on the little mans progress, you will be a proper little team in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

Best of luck Orlyice, sounds like you have it well under control. Your little boy sounds like such a little super hero. Congrats to you on the new arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Just seeing this now. Congrats to you all. Glad to read that your little boy is a strong fighter. All the best xx

• Advertisement

How is everyone doing this weather? How is you little boy doing Orylice? I hope he's still being a little trooper :-)
    All good with me here, feeling good this weather, bump is growing pretty quickly but not too big yet, still able to do all of the normal things. I was getting a lot of pelvic pain (what I have self diagnosed as SPD) last week and am going to physio about it next week, it has eased a bit now but I want to be sure it doesnt come back again, it wasnt fun! How is everyone else? any scans coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Hi hawii and everyone else. I'm keepin great thank god. Like yourself bump is getting bigger but I was on a course last week and for the first two days no one realised I was pregnant. Had a tighter top on day 3 and they were bit surprised!

Bit of movement but not a whole pile. I panic every now and again thinkin "god the baby hasn't moved in long time" and then ka-blam I'll get a reassuring kick. When I'm moving around during the day I don't really feel much but plenty when I lie down. Just think I'm having a very lazy baby!

Thats great you are doing well Heldel, ive definitely started to show in the last week or two, I can see people looking at me funny now, its very strange!!! My movement is pretty similar to that some days its quite active and other days non existent, i had reflexology done on Wednesday and the baby was moving like crazy. The Therapist said she has a lot of expectant Mums in who are worried about their babies lack of movement and as soon as she starts the baby is doing somersaults! when is your due date Heldel? Are you hoping to work right up till the end?

How is everyone feeling?

Had my GP visit yesterday.

I am 28 weeks and have been having very sharp pains in my lower abdomen / pelvis area, which is worse when I am moving around in bed, lifting my legs to get dressed and getting out of the car etc.

Mentioned it to the GP and she felt my tummy and found that the baby has completely moved and is now head down, so she said the pain I am having is because of this and it was nothing to worry about.

I thought it was a bit early for this to happen but she seemed fine about it.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I am thinking it is a case of first time mam panic syndrome :D

Hi Cruais
    I have been experiencing the exact same pain as you (Im 28 weeks aswell). Really painful walking, walking up stairs, putting on clothes etc. I went to a physio on Monday and she told me I had pelvic girdle pain and she did some therapy on me, I feel a lot better after that. She told me different tips like getting in and out of the car/bed with knees and ankles together, moving in bed with legs together and always put on trousers/shoes while sitting at the end of the bed, not standing up. I'm with the Doc tomorrow and he might also tell me the same a you that the baby has moved down, if that's the case I don't know how effective the tips from the physio will be. I find great relief from sitting on a gym ball. Either way i think the next 12 or so weeks are going to be great fun

Cruais as said above thats PGP and physio and different ways of moving help it. I really wonder about some gps, I know just from your description that its PGP, yet a gp says its normal and makes no suggestions? After my pregnancy experience with medical professionals I'm going to get second opinions forever.

Thanks girls

I have an appointment with my consultant next week so will be mentioning it then also, and I think I am going to go on ahead and book myself in for physio.

I was so annoyed yesterday, I had to wait 2 hours in the waiting room of my GP. :mad:

Would swimming help with pgp?

Swimming should alleviate the discomfort because tthere'd be less pressure on your pelvis in the water.

Swimming should alleviate the discomfort because tthere'd be less pressure on your pelvis in the water.

Thanks Spottybananas.

Hope you're keeping well.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Popping in from September, I was told with any pelvic pain that the breast stroke is to be avoided. You'll feel fine doing it in the water, but when you get out it could be a lot more painful because you've been aggravating it without realising!

Advertisement