Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kells Priory, Co. Kilkenny

Options
  • 07-12-2014 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

I visited this place yesterday and came away a bit amazed by the size and elaborateness of it, especially the walled enclosure with tower houses. Is this our biggest monastic settlement? The OPW signage isn't all that informative but says the walled enclosure was probably used to graze animals. I've found references to it online described as 'burgess court' as well. Is there some sort of consensus on what went on here and what the tower houses were used for? They must have had plenty of money to build all of this! Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

CeannRua wrote: »
    I visited this place yesterday and came away a bit amazed by the size and elaborateness of it, especially the walled enclosure with tower houses. Is this our biggest monastic settlement? The OPW signage isn't all that informative but says the walled enclosure was probably used to graze animals. I've found references to it online described as 'burgess court' as well. Is there some sort of consensus on what went on here and what the tower houses were used for? They must have had plenty of money to build all of this! Thanks.
    Kells Priory is one of the most significant Augustinian monastic settlements in Ireland and all the more significant for the extent of its survival.
    The Burgess Court is an extension to the original monastic enclosure and was a necessary response to three sackings in 1252, 1316 and 1327.
    The Priory closed in 1540.
    If you can get your hands on the current edition of Archaeology Ireland (Autumn 2014, issue 109), there is a supplement included with more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

An amazing site.. Though think the elaborateness of the fortification stems from a mix of secular and monastic origins, with the burgage holders of Kells Town probably needing a place to keep themselves and their valuables safe in times of unrest.

Have done a bit of work (and hopefully more to come) in trying to model the extensive earthworks around the enclosed site:
    http://aerialarchaeology.blogspot.ie/2013/09/kells-priory-co-kilkenny.html

Advertisement