Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Set Up - 180 litres

• 11-02-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Finally bit the bullet and bought myself a Jewel Rio 180.

I have to kit it out now. Have a few bits from my small set up but will need to get various items. I have never kitted a tank this size.

On my list to far is...

JBL Manado Substrate (would I need a plant booster with this?)

2 plants classified as easy to grow - Eleocharis parvula and Anubais barteri

Water conditioner (i have some but not enough to do 180 litres!)

Large plain poster for the back (I am stuck in two mind about using one or not?!)

I would like a moon Light LED for the evenings but prices seem scary!

I have two angels that will go from my small tank once I get it somewhat cycled.

Any advice / recommendations welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I have a Rio 180 freshwater tank that I've got reasonably planted with just standard aquarium gravel and a cheap CO2 dispenser (photos in the post your tank thread). I've been running it for a few years now and couldn't complain about the tank at all. The built in filter's a little on the weak side so I added a small external filter as well but tbh, it's probably over-kill.

Mine has a poster in the back but I've grown rather disillusioned with them lately as no matter how well I put them on the tank initially, they eventually seem to bubble or peel at the edges. Would you consider painting the back panel with blue/black acrylic paint? It's what I've done with my new Marine build and the look is a major improvement imo.

I'm not a fan of water conditioner and buy RO water from Gaving out in Newlands Garden Centre instead. I used Seachem Prime for years with no real problems but since making the move to RO, I've got much greater water clarity and have had some mollys breed in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Thanks Sleepy.

I might just not use anything as a background for awhile and see how I go. Some plants at the rear of the tank will do.

I'll check out your pic. :)

One thing to remember is that doing a background after the tank is up and running might not be possible as a full tank can be next to impossible to move!

That said, there's nothing wrong with a clear background either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

My planted tank has no background .. Never got around it it, my marine I painted it with blue acrylics.

Manado will grow most plants, I use the Amazonia which is better than manado, and as my lights arnt the best over the tank I have a small co2 injector In the tank, it's rated for 100l and mine is 200l but it just gives the tank a boost. Try with just the manado and if growth is slow put a co2 diffused into it. Makes a world of difference!

Planted tanks are great just don't do what I did a few months ago and got a groudmof synodontis featherfin ... Ate all my grasses and moss and are now moving into the hygrophill and Bacopa :(

Your Angels will love it! I had Angels but we decided to change direction and do dwarf sa cichlids instead.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks. Great advice all round as usual. I ordered a fair bit off seahorse aquariums last night. Hopefully enough to get me up and running.

One last question. With it being such a large tank, location is proving a small headache. My ideal spot it in between two windows. It won't see direct sunlight from these so I'd be okay regarding algae here by and large?

SeaFields wrote: »
    Thanks folks. Great advice all round as usual. I ordered a fair bit off seahorse aquariums last night. Hopefully enough to get me up and running.

One last question. With it being such a large tank, location is proving a small headache. My ideal spot it in between two windows. It won't see direct sunlight from these so I'd be okay regarding algae here by and large?

Should be ok just keep an eye on temperature spots near windows tend to get warmer quicker so during the summer watch your temperature. I had an aquarium in a position similar to you and I found it got quite hot with the sun beaming in. I moved it to the opposite side of the same room and no temp issues so I've deducted that the heat was coming from the windos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'd add some fish for different levels in the tank.

I have loaches and cory's for the lover level, angels for the mid, and a killiefish for the top.

Gives a nice balance to the setup.

Same goes for the plants. I have vallisneria for the back, Echinodoras for mid height and anubia + crypto for low areas.

You want something interesting to look at wherever you look.

And, to encourage natural behaviour, maybe put in some caves (rocks, pipes, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I have the same tank myself and it is the best I have ever had. I have a piece of driftwood in the centre and it gives a nice focal point.

Just a note on this. I thought I had it well positioned beside a window away from direct sunlight but the increased temperature caused a small algae bloom during the really good weather last summer.

Thanks again folks. All great advice.

I have a couple of species in mind and once I check compatibility will have a stocking plan for the coming months.

And thanks Berserker, I'll try this spot and see how I go. My bothers is in the same position and has to adjust the temperature depending on the weather.

Has any one any experience of moon lighting? I'd like something to illuminate the tank at night for awhile. I mentioned in the OP I have read about LEDs being used. Any opinions?

I'm on a roll at the mo so may as well keep buying until the wife takes the credit card :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Hi folks,
    I would like a moon Light LED for the evenings but prices seem scary!

I have a 110L and use these http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/reptile-supplies/reptile-equipment/reptile-lighting/led-lights-for-reptiles/arcadia-vivarium-moonlight-led-system.html

They are designed for vivariums but as they are fully waterproof and submersible can also be used in a tank.

Here is the effect of 2 of them (one each end) sorry its hard to photograph!

Magenta wrote: »
    I have a 110L and use these http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/reptile-supplies/reptile-equipment/reptile-lighting/led-lights-for-reptiles/arcadia-vivarium-moonlight-led-system.html

They are designed for vivariums but as they are fully waterproof and submersible can also be used in a tank.

Here is the effect of 2 of them (one each end) sorry its hard to photograph!

Thanks. I actually came across that brand awhile ago and have been looking at what they have. Reasonably priced too. They do an LED spotlight in blue which can be stuck to the tank under the water. I think i'll chance one of the two of these.

And I'm up a running. All the stuff arrived yesterday so ducked out if work early and went home setting everything up. Looks amazing already and that's just with a few immature plants and a piece of bog oak. Itching to add my angels to it. Once everything settles I'll add some pics to the photos thread. Thanks again for the advice everyone.

If the bog oak is new, I'd recommend adding some charcoal to your filter as it'll leach tanins into the water for a few months. They're harmless enough for fish but give the water a yellow tint until they've all leached out and you've cleared them via water changes. The charcoal helps a bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

And I'm up a running. All the stuff arrived yesterday so ducked out if work early and went home setting everything up. Looks amazing already and that's just with a few immature plants and a piece of bog oak. Itching to add my angels to it. Once everything settles I'll add some pics to the photos thread. Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Add some pics now!!!!! :)

Sleepy wrote: »
    If the bog oak is new, I'd recommend adding some charcoal to your filter as it'll leach tanins into the water for a few months. They're harmless enough for fish but give the water a yellow tint until they've all leached out and you've cleared them via water changes. The charcoal helps a bit though.

Thanks.that's good to know. Its actually old bog oak (pardon the pun) and came from my 60 litre tank. One of the benefits of my father in laws bog on his farm is I have an endless supply of bog oak in different shapes and sizes.

Magenta wrote: »
    Add some pics now!!!!! :)

I'll post one once I get home. Am well proud of my tank even though there ain't much going on like yet :D

Here's she is. Delighted with myself. Once it's established and stocked I'll add a few photos to the main photo thread.

339357.JPG

Some more advice needed folks. The plants that I put in have started to turn brown on the edges. There are two different types, both classified as an easy to grow. Will they grow out if this as such? Jenny advised a co2 diffuser to really boost plant growth but prices seem excessive particularly after initially setting everything up last week. I may have to go down that route tho. Any ideas?

The can based diffuser I pointed out in my freshwater tank only cost about 20 euro.

Another thing to look at would be your lighting - how powerful are the bulb(s) and how long are you leaving them on for?

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    The can based diffuser I pointed out in my freshwater tank only cost about 20 euro.

Another thing to look at would be your lighting - how powerful are the bulb(s) and how long are you leaving them on for?

Thanks sleepy.

The lighting is 2 * T5 bulbs that came as standard with the jewel rio. They are on for about 12 hours a day. A moon light LED is switched on then for another hour.

I've an air diffuser connected to the Jewel filter running constantly. I wonder (and completely speculating here) would that have an effect?

I'll look into ordering a co2 set up anyway. Anyone any links I'd appreciate it as Ill have to buy online

Very disappointed today looking at my new plants. :(

I'm no expert on plants but could 12 hours a day be a bit much for the plants?

You can buy plant supplements such as Easy-Life EasyCarbo in pet-stores too which can help your plants...

Browning of the leaves could be anything really from high metals in the tank to the lights being used. 2 t5s in a Rio should be able to grow easy plants though ... My plants turned brown when I had the lights on for too long.

Ultimately plants are hard to keep no matter how "easy" they're called there's so many factors involved in keeping them.

Are you using tap water or RO/DI water?

Thanks.

I'm using treated tap water. I've discovered my problem. It's a brown algae. I believe common in newly established aquariums? I'll keep on top of it and hopefully once the plants take hold and with water changes, it'll begin to die away.

I've reduced the lighting as sleepy said to 9 hours a day. Whether it has been the reason or not, but my plants have spread significantly in the last couple of days. Putting out stalks under the gravel from which new plants have come up. Last night there was nothing on one. Looked this evening when I got home from work and there was stalk of 4cm out of it and leaves shooting. Unreal stuff. :)

I'll still get a basic co2 set eventually. The ones I was looking at were advanced and hence my surprise at the prices but looking further I see the budget ones are reasonable.

It's stocked now with my two angels. They are adapting well and I'm sure are enjoying the freedom of a much bigger tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

It's a brown algae. I believe common in newly established aquariums?

Exact same thing happened to me with the same tank when I set up. I thought it related to the fact that there was too much light in the room in which I placed the tank. Anyway, it calmed down pretty quickly and it has not returned since.

I said I would give an update on this. My two angels are thriving in their new home. They have been joined by a pleco who made very short work of my brown algae problem. I see that I posted the original photo about 5 weeks ago now. This photo shows the extent of the growth of my plants. Really delight with it. Further to this, when cleaning out my old 60l tank for storage, I found a plant bulb in the substrate (I hadn't had plants in the 60L in years). Thought I would chance it, and set it in the substrate two weeks ago. I have 3 leaves about an inch high so far :)

343429.JPG

I bought a cheap moonlight led from amazon which goes on for a couple of hours after lights out. Photo is a bit fuzzy as they tend to be with a dark photo. Happy out with it. :)

343428.JPG

Thanks for all the advice folks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

What's this tank look like nowadays? :D

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    What's this tank look like nowadays? :D

All is still going well. I have the same two angels which are a good bit bigger and a Siamese algae eater and a pleco. I was going to add something else recently but wasn't happy with the stock in the local fish shop so didn't bother yet. I'll post a pic shortly.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

All is still going well. I have the same two angels which are a good bit bigger and a Siamese algae eater and a pleco. I was going to add something else recently but wasn't happy with the stock in the local fish shop so didn't bother yet. I'll post a pic shortly.:)

Lovely Tank.

Im going to make a suggestion.

be very careful what fish you add with Angels.

Angel fish look amazing but are very aggressive and bullying towards smaller fish.

To the point of killing them.

Just a heads up

• Advertisement

Sorry for the delay folks. This is how she is looking now. Probably doesn't get the TLC it deserves but still looks very well. Same two angels keeping an eye on me and my camera.

385300.JPG

Advertisement