Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due May 2015

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

yeah my pelvis went at 20 or so weeks, didnt have any issues last time. Now its bad enough work have given me a temp. disabled pass so I can park near my building. Turning in bed is a nightmare, last night I heard an awful crunch when I turned :(

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

Ginny wrote:
    yeah my pelvis went at 20 or so weeks, didnt have any issues last time. Now its bad enough work have given me a temp. disabled pass so I can park near my building. Turning in bed is a nightmare, last night I heard an awful crunch when I turned 

just jumping in here from march thread, about turning in bed, turn under rather than over! as in if your on your left side, turn on to all fours and then over to right side! the physio at our antenatal class told me that and I try to do it now, makes it so much easier and more comfortable!! I forget sometimes and am half way through a turnover and curse myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

I'm back earlier than others will be, and don't get maternity pay as I'm self employed, so I'm seeing going early as the big pro in this situation with the few cons :)

I think my body has realised the end of work is nigh and is shutting down. Last night I couldn't even turn in bed without grabbing the headboard, I really didn't think the upturned turtle stage would come until much later, especially considering I only got a noticeable bump in the last week or so! I thought it was the bump that limited movement, didn't realise swelling and general muscle stiffness would have such an effect.

Ah I never realised self employed don't get maternity pay :( you off for long after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Ah I never realised self employed don't get maternity pay :( you off for long after?

Well like I get State Maternity Benefit, but there is no employer to pay me Maternity Pay, if you see what I mean. I'll be off for about 3 months, will be back mostly part time then for a few months. I make my own hours really so it's fine, it's not like somebody else going back to work who might be gone from 7am-7pm, I'm freelance so work from home, or work odd hours, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Must be great to get paid full pay when on maternity leave, think that's definitely a dying trend though. In a way if I did get it I'd feel obliged to go back to work though, I'm a Locum/contractor so not self employed but an employee in lots of places. If we can manage at all money wise I'm hoping to only go back to one place and work one or one and a half days a week then work more when needed to cover holidays etc

• Advertisement

Must be great to get paid full pay when on maternity leave, think that's definitely a dying trend though. In a way if I did get it I'd feel obliged to go back to work though, I'm a Locum/contractor so not self employed but an employee in lots of places. If we can manage at all money wise I'm hoping to only go back to one place and work one or one and a half days a week then work more when needed to cover holidays etc
    Yeah I only get the state maternity pay too :/ but already the thought of going back to work full time after is killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Yep another one here only getting the state benefit. Must be amazing getting full pay when off for 26 weeks. I also won't have a job to go back to so will have the added burden of job hunting!

Ainy thanks for the tip re turning over in bed. I find it so hard to turn and regularly hear the clicking of bones however my osteopath is trying to rectify that for me :)

A rude b!tch who told me that a pregnancy symptom making my working difficult was a "small sacrifice" went out on full pay at 26 weeks pregnant and then had a year on full pay after the baby was born, I'm sure finishing up work is a small sacrifice when you're getting paid handsomely to sit at home! Not when you have no choice but to work, and don't get paid when you don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

A rude b!tch who told me that a pregnancy symptom making my working difficult was a "small sacrifice" went out on full pay at 26 weeks pregnant and then had a year on full pay after the baby was born, I'm sure finishing up work is a small sacrifice when you're getting paid handsomely to sit at home! Not when you have no choice but to work, and don't get paid when you don't work.

Wow. So women on maternity leave 'sit' at home do they?

Merkin wrote: »
    Wow. So women on maternity leave 'sit' at home do they?

...They do for the purposes of exaggeration when they have been rude and insulting to me about my career and my pregnancy. That was obviously said as a dig about that person in my last post out of anger about her upsetting me, but you've chosen to take it out of context like I was stating a naive fact. You've never exaggerated something when upset no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I wouldn't think posting such an inflammatory and rude opinion on a PREGNANCY forum is taking it out of context at all, no.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Please can we be nice and civil to each other .

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

ainy wrote: »
    just jumping in here from march thread, about turning in bed, turn under rather than over! as in if your on your left side, turn on to all fours and then over to right side! the physio at our antenatal class told me that and I try to do it now, makes it so much easier and more comfortable!! I forget sometimes and am half way through a turnover and curse myself!

Tried this last night and who would have thought such a simple change would make it so much easier. Thanks for sharing ðŸ˜

If you're using a pillow between your legs the physio recommended to squeeze the pillow with your knees as you're turning as well. It does help a lot with the pain/weakness I get in my pelvis when I try to turn. Tried it with my new body pillow last night however and felt like I was wrestling with a fecking crocodile!

Ainy I think it was that said about turning the other way your a life saver, soooo much easier then turning on your back! 9 weeks left today! Insomnia has started kicking in! Hoping it goes again bit early to have it starting now. Got whooping cough vaccine and had hosp appointment since I last posted, baby is now only measuring two or three days ahead (compared to over two weeks ahead at my last appointment 6 weeks ago) and sure now I'm worried babies growth is slowing down :) never happy!!! :):) hope your all still getting on well :)

Sugar I must get in touch with GP to arrange whooping cough vaccine. I forgot in all the worrying about our last scan. Will do it this week - thanks for the reminder

Sugar I must get in touch with GP to arrange whooping cough vaccine. I forgot in all the worrying about our last scan. Will do it this week - thanks for the reminder

Whens your follow up scan angeldelight?

Whens your follow up scan angeldelight?

Tomorrow evening so we'll see what happens. I know blood tests came back clear so it's not an infection, have to see if it's still there - hopefully it will have disappeared!

Tomorrow evening so we'll see what happens. I know blood tests came back clear so it's not an infection, have to see if it's still there - hopefully it will have disappeared!

best of luck today :)

The abnormality was much reduced on the scan today so she's very hopeful it will just clear itself up, fingers crossed she's right! Back in two weeks... Baby currently measuring 5lb 2oz!!! Massive!

• Advertisement

It wasn't kidney related was it angeldelight? I've heard they often spot problems with kidneys that resolve themselves in a few weeks.

I've had no estimates on weight, I know they're not really accurate but even a guess would be nice!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Ours was the kidneys, we just need to have some scans once baby is born. How many weeks are you now angeldelight?

Ours is the bowel - fingers crossed will be gone by next time. She had the pictures she took last time and I could see myself how reduced it was so am feeling much better. 32 and a half weeks - baba is gonna be the Hulk

The abnormality was much reduced on the scan today so she's very hopeful it will just clear itself up, fingers crossed she's right! Back in two weeks... Baby currently measuring 5lb 2oz!!! Massive!

Ah brilliant :) and measuring 5lb :) thats brilliant to hear too, I am 31 weeks great getting an idea of other babies sizes... you hear of babies surviving at 2lb and our babies are now double that :) weird way to look at it I know!! Have you a big bump! :)

I finally have a bump, only took 33+ weeks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Some serious incompetence with the assigned midwife at our health centre. Took three visits of seeing random other midwives before the one that is actually assigned to us happened to turn up, the stand in ones ranging from having a couldn't be arsed attitude to actually quite nice and giving useful information. The officially assigned one did happen to be around for the appointment last week, didn't introduce herself, took the tests without explaining what she was checking for, asked if the babies movements were normal (to which she got a "Huh, how on earth should I know? It's the first time I've been 28 weeks pregnant. What is meant to be happening?" from my missus. To which the midwife looked surprised as if everyone should know what normal meant and someone else should have explained it all to you!?!
    The midwife then took some bloods, that resulted in a call from the hospital lab a couple of days ago wondering why her maiden name had been used and if it was for the right person. Then there was another call from the GP last night who had got the results back now, but it was apparently for the wrong tests anyway?!?!
    There was then another prescription that was generated by the midwife as well, think it was just a top-up of some vitamin pills, but that prescription which was written out in the same appointment but for some reason not handed over at the time, but this had managed to be written out with the married name on it.

The GP made the excuse of that midwife is generally a "bit rushed" on her behalf. I'll take that as code for being a "bit rubbish, and we'd like an excuse to get rid of her from the practice". Will be making sure that we don't encounter her again and get one of the other competent ones assigned and the GP is being helpful in getting that sorted.

Lots of tiny bits of annoyance that are really not needed, but can easily see where more critical mistakes could creep in and end up in bigger problems.

Anyone hear anything back yet about the state maternity benefit?

Anyone hear anything back yet about the state maternity benefit?

I did but I sorted mine ages ago, it only took about a week from me sending the form to them confirming I would receive it.

I did but I sorted mine ages ago, it only took about a week from me sending the form to them confirming I would receive it.

I've mine sent in a month ago now but all I've heard back is that they received my application, be nice just to get the confirmation even though I know I'm entitled to it

• Advertisement

I've mine sent in a month ago now but all I've heard back is that they received my application, be nice just to get the confirmation even though I know I'm entitled to it

Hmm, weird. Maybe I got my reply quickly because I was going on leave earlier than most, dunno. You could call them? I had to call last week and they were very helpful.

Advertisement