Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lough Corrib's ancient shoreline

Options
  • 13-10-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

We've been doing some filming over the last couple of days to try and confirm some previous observations about the historical level of Lough Corrib. I've put a quick chart on my website in the Corrib History section, and some links to the YouTube videos.

Maybe someone could link to them as I apparently am not considered worthy yet !

Anglingcharts
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

http://anglingcharts.com/loughcorribhistory.html

Fascinating seeing it as a graphic-is there any theory as to what the catastrophic event might have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 anglingcharts

There are all sorts of possibilities, and a lot of papers in it I'd say. It ties together a huge range of possibilities - from 20-year rain events, mythical tales of Corrib (Orbsen) forming after a burial, limestone caverns collapsing, sinkholes filling in, a distinct lack of ancient shoreline settlements, crannogs etc.....
    Its out of my field of expertise, but there are already some great minds at work on it. Putting a date on it should probably be the next focus, and I'm already wondering if a simple comparison of the submerged structure with existing stucture on the present day shoreline could yield some approximations. I imagine the shoreline we have found was created shortly after the last glaciation, so we possibly have an age for it, just not a lifespan.

Advertisement