Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you change a wheel??

• 23-02-2014 7:54pm
    Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Might sounds like a stupid question, but, do you know how to change a wheel on your car?

Never really thought about it much until now, but coming down from the local village, I hit a pothole that had opened up in the road due to the recent weather and did the passenger side wheel in. I pulled in to find no less than four other cars with their hazards on, who had just done the same thing.

The first car contained two girls heading up to Sligo for their RAG week, who had no idea how to use anything they had just pulled out of the boot, so they asked if I could help, which I was happy to.

Second car contained a couple in their 50's on the way into Galway. They didn't have a spare, but one of those cans of foam that hooks up to an air compressor and lines the inside of the wheel. Helped him out and got him on his way.

Third car was a guy in how 20's who couldn't figure out where the wheelbrace went, and was in serious danger of killing himself, handbrake off, car teetering up on top of the jack. Changed his wheel and sent him on his way.

Then I got round to changing my own wheel, and here I am now.

All kidding aside, why don't people know the very basics of car maintenance? I grew up in the countryside, where repairs were part and parcel of farm machinery. And I'm only in my early 30's, but I still grew up in a generation where you couldn't just pick up a mobile and call for help, there was a certain expectation of being able to take care of yourself. After all, if you get a puncture in the middle of nowhere, you should be able to get yourself out of trouble pretty easily? I assumed everyone was this way. Apparently not.

So, can you change a wheel? And if not, why not?

Can you change a wheel? 221 votes

Yep, like a boss!
    0% 0 votes
    Nope, that's what the mobile phone is for...
    100% 221 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭geckovision

Yes.

Never thought about until I got a flat shortly after learning to drive. Just applied some common sense. It's very straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

There is NO excuse for not knowing how. If you cant do it... you shouldn't have a licence. Unless there's a physical reason of course.

Car, yes. Bike, yes. Never had to change a car tyre on the side of the road but I've taken them off a few times to do work on the suspension/brakes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Yes. Like a Boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

mike_ie wrote: »
    The first car contained two girls heading up to Sligo for their RAG week, who had no idea how to use anything they had just pulled out of the boot, so they asked if I could help, which I was happy to.

Niice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I feel like such a princess saying this but I don't know how to change a tyre. I have been told how but have never done it. If I was alone and got a puncture, I would probably just phone my da to rescue me.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

7ofBrian wrote: »
    There is NO excuse for not knowing how. If you cant do it... you shouldn't have a licence. Unless there's a physical reason of course.

See, that's my take on it too. I would have assumed it was common knowledge, but if not, it whould be a requirement of the driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

yes i can

but some older people and women might not have the physical strenght to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I can change a wheel. Changing a tyre is worth paying someone else a tenner to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I know how to but never had to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Wouldn't have a clue, but I have 24 breakdown assistance on my insurance. Or I'd just flash some boob.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

yes, it was the first thing my Dad taught me when I started driving.

He also gives out to me when I call it changing a tyre because you're actually changing the wheel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

7ofBrian wrote: »

Or you are a wimmins.....they just have to look pretty and groom the ould lady bits and all will be well with the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Technically yes I can, but I get flat tyres so infrequently, as in every two or three years (touch wood), that I completely forget the process and how to do it properly. So the lovely men from AXA Rescue come out and do it for me. And as I watch them, I think "Jesus, that's so simple, I'm an awful eejit for not doing it myself. I really must remember how it's done for next time".

And when next time comes along, three years later....tumbleweeds in my brain. Out comes the phone......"Hello, AXA?"

I do, however know how to check the oil, water, tyre pressure. I know people who have no idea how to check these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Add a poll OP.

yes i can

but some older people and women might not have the physical strenght to do it

We'll just ask the big strong man to help us. And make him a sandwich while he does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Before I was ever allowed put my bum in a drivers seat my mother insisted that I know how to change a tyre, check oil and water, change the oil, be able to identify the basic parts of the engine, how to change the battery, how to jump start a car. Then once I started driving typical lessons included learning how to tow a car and be towed.

I'm only 35 but learned to drive in a time with no mobile phones and not as many motorways. My mother reckoned that any woman driving alone needs to know these things rather than rely on a stranger.

My husband knows none of these things bar changing a tyre. I look after all the basic car maintenence in our house!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

When I change a wheel I do it superfast just incase some F1 pit scouts are watching.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I can, but i've been caught out by wheels getting stuck on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Title is wrong. Changing a wheel is relatively easy, changing a tyre is a pain without proper equipment.

Yeah I can change a wheel. Only time I've had to call for help was years ago in a Renault 19, stupid wheel brace supplied with the car was a POS and no matter what way I jumped on it it wouldn't open the lug nuts. Since then the 1st thing that goes into all my cars is a proper cross brace.

Only issue now is with the rush to reduce CO2 manufacturers are removing the spare wheels. There are some punctures that no amount of tyre weld will solve.

They should also shoot people who drive with the space saver on the front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭ Heavenly Scary Fizz

I think that it is difficult now, I had no one to teach me as neither of my parents can change a tyre (or do much DIY) however I finally found a 'car maintenance for women' course - it took me nearly 2 years to find a course though! There is a real gap in the market for this kind of thing - same for idiots guide to bike maintenance, and maybe plumbing too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

One might know how to, but if you've got alloy wheels:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61204574

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Wouldn't have a clue, but I have 24 breakdown assistance on my insurance. Or I'd just flash some boob.

Niice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'd consult the internet tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatsthetime

mike_ie wrote: »
    Might sounds like a stupid question, but, do you know how to change a tyre on your car?

Never really thought about it much until now, but coming down from the local village, I hit a pothole that had opened up in the road due to the recent weather and did the passenger side wheel in. I pulled in to find no less than four other cars with their hazards on, who had just done the same thing.

Second car contained a couple in their 50's on the way into Galway. They didn't have a spare, but one of those cans of foam that hooks up to an air compressor and lines the inside of the tyre. Helped him out and got him on his way.

Third car was a guy in how 20's who couldn't figure out where the wheelbrace went, and was in serious danger of killing himself, handbrake off, car teetering up on top of the jack. Changed his wheel and sent him on his way.

Then I got round to changing my own wheel, and here I am now.

All kidding aside, why don't people know the very basics of car maintenance? I grew up in the countryside, where repairs were part and parcel of farm machinery. And I'm only in my early 30's, but I still grew up in a generation where you couldn't just pick up a mobile and call for help, there was a certain expectation of being able to take care of yourself. After all, if you get a puncture in the middle of nowhere, you should be able to get yourself out of trouble pretty easily? I assumed everyone was this way. Apparently not.

So, can you change a tyre? And if not, why not?

I would not be able to change the tyre at the side of the road, but I certainly could change the wheel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Never mind how many people can change a wheel, there are any awful amount of stupid people out there who wouldn't even know if they had a puncture. I have seen many a driver - male and female - driving along on a flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

VAG wheels are a **** to change. I say this as a proper bonafide man with my own lift and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

I can change them, wasn't allowed behind the wheel until I knew a few basic things sbout msintainance checks etc...howevet if I can get someone else to change it I will

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Add a poll OP.

Good idea. Done.

• Advertisement

VAG wheels are a **** to change. I say this as a proper bonafide man with my own lift and everything.

Really? I've never had to change mine. How are they hard to change? Please tell me I wouldn't need a lift?

Advertisement