Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leg pain

• 17-05-2015 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I went to first mma training session on Friday and my legs have been really sore yesterday(Saturday) and today (Sunday) any advice on how I can speed up recovery as I've training tomorrow night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A long walk, and stretching. And maybe skip training if you're not ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Quality246

endacl wrote: »
    A long walk, and stretching. And maybe skip training if you're not ready?

Do you know any cream or home remedies that speed up recovery other then them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Quality246 wrote: »
    Do you know any cream or home remedies that speed up recovery other then them ?

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness is what it's called I think. DOMS. after regular training you'll get less soreness. Try drinking some cherry active straight after training. Also make sure you stretch after training while your still warm

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness is what it's called I think. DOMS. after regular training you'll get less soreness. Try drinking some cherry active straight after training. Also make sure you stretch after training while your still warm

Is it safe to go back training or should I wait till the pain is gone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Just making sure... it's your muscles that are sore, right? Not your joints?

Assuming it's the muscles, you'll be fine. Just make sure you stretch before and after training.

• Advertisement

Just making sure... it's your muscles that are sore, right? Not your joints?

Assuming it's the muscles, you'll be fine. Just make sure you stretch before and after training.

Yeah it's my hamstring,should I have ice baths or put deep heat on them to help it heal quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Go to the gym tomorrow and talk to your Coach. They'll give you all the information you'll need, and if they don't, find somewhere better that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Quality246 wrote: »
    Yeah it's my hamstring,should I have ice baths or put deep heat on them to help it heal quicker?

Try showering hot/cold intervals of 10 seconds each. As in turn to hot for 10 then cold for ten then hot. Do this for a few minutes. Ice baths too if your man enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

As mentioned before, it's likely DOMS, you'll be grand in a few days and you'll quickly get used to it if you continue training (that is, the stiffness/pain will lessen/disappear).

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

You're working muscles that haven't been worked properly in a while,I'm guessing. Give it a day or two. Don't over do it initially with your training, it's something that beginners are guilty of fairly often in my experience.

2-3 days a week at most is all you should be aiming at whilst your body adjusts to the new workload. You'll find it effects you less and less over time. Also, correct warm up/down is VITAL to recovery - as are making the right rest and nutrition choices. Getting into a stretching regime will help you in this regard also. As MagicIRL said above, ask your coaches about it all - no question to big or small. Obviously, not on the mat during class, but have a lil aside with them after.

Over training early on is a big factor in people not keeping up with it, because they begin to feel that they've taken on too much, that it's not the sport for them.

Coming from someone who began as a 20 stone fatty, I went through a lot of this but with great Coaches who guided me along the way, I'm in this for life now and not a 20 stone fatty anymore. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭VulcanRaving

Ya gotta foam roll that sh*t! Invest in a decent foam roller for those IT bands. Those blue ones you get in sports shops tend to weaken and lose their shape after a while.

In short your body will adjust to your training. I remember my first couple of BJJ classes and I nearly thought my ribs were broken or something it was just core muscles that I would not have used as much previously.

Advertisement