Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TUF 21: American Top Team vs Blackzilians

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

shanec1928 wrote: »
    it was to be in Florida no?

Originally yes, but moved to Vegas to coincide with 189.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

DeVore wrote: »
    Curling up into a ball is not defending yourself intelligently. After 30 seconds of his opponent just picking where to hit him without any regard for being hit back, I would have said the fight should have been over. Those repeated knees to the ribs were particularly bad, not to mention dangerous.

He wasn't JUST curling into a ball though. He was moving his arms and hands in order to block where he thought he was being hit. That's why Jackson was changing it up so much. He had to because Graves was blocking. sure, he was there for a long time, but he was defending and, as the fight showed, he was still in it. At no point did he look like he was unable to continue.

Also, of course the knees were dangerous. That's the point. If we stopped fights for every time there was something dangerous, there was be no sport of MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Rarely will you see a judge stop a fight for body shots. I don't see why they would. There was absolutely no damage to graves head and he was in no danger of being knocked out. He did the sensible thing and cover his head instead of dropping his hands to cover the body shots, so in a sense, he was intelligently defending himself. I'd say the ref did a great job actually, except for missing the groin kick, which was hard to spot in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What do people think about the series as a whole then? Was the differing format something you enjoyed or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Paully D wrote: »
    What do people think about the series as a whole then? Was the differing format something you enjoyed or not?

It's a bit meh overall. I expect the drama and ignore it, but the fights are fairly poor too.
    Most of these guys have been around the block a few times, they are from gyms with solid connections to the UFC. If they were good enough for a good UFC run they’d be there by now.
    Most have mediocre records built on the likes of Belator and WSOF, and I think their fights don’t show a drive to “make it” to the UFC. Aimed towards the older guys only, the younger fighters could have UFC potential in future of course.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, I feel the same as Mellor mostly. Some of them have a distinct bang of "has been" about them. The episodes of TUF have always been the same format (first half smack talk, second half fight) but this series, it seems like all we have been shown in the first half is camera interviews with the fighter, his coach, or his rah-rahhing team mates. They all say the same things (imam smash him, this guy is the second coming of Christ for mma) and then they put on a fairly lacklustre fight where one of them "doesn't perform like he can". Rinse and repeat.

I don't see much personality or charisma in any of them to connect with... and while usually I wouldn't care about that, I'd be all about their skills etc... its a show which asks us to get emotionally connected with people in the house and root for them. Honestly, I couldn't name the fighters this season beyond Hayder. And he's a bit of a dick. :)

........ What a fight!!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    ........ What a fight!!

Saw the result but didn't watch the episode yet. Deserved win for Hassan? Seems strange to me that Blackzilian's didn't go with their best guy (Usman). ATT did and get the win. Fantastic comeback from them.

Saw the result but didn't watch the episode yet. Deserved win for Hassan? Seems strange to me that Blackzilian's didn't go with their best guy (Usman). ATT did and get the win. Fantastic comeback from them.

Split decision. Could've gone either way. I thought the Blackzillian won the first two rounds (and therefore the fight) but it went to a third. Very very tough fight to call.

Hassan though, he's about as one dimensional as they come. He knows how to throw a jab and sometimes and one-two with power and that's about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Last 2 fights were great, crap season overall though. Heyder practically won it for ATT by himself, have to root for him in the finale now.

Will be glad to see the back of Glen and Dan.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Split decision. Could've gone either way. I thought the Blackzillian won the first two rounds (and therefore the fight) but it went to a third. Very very tough fight to call.

Hassan though, he's about as one dimensional as they come. He knows how to throw a jab and sometimes and one-two with power and that's about it
    Last 2 fights were great, crap season overall though. Heyder practically won it for ATT by himself, have to root for him in the finale now.

Will be glad to see the back of Glen and Dan.

Hassan had 3 fights in 16 days he said in the press conference yesterday. I know the first one he was in was over after about 20 seconds so it was like he never fought, but still, fair play to him that's tough going.

Hassan v Usman now on Sunday night.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I though Hayder was exposed as a MrStuffins said, as a very one dimensional fighter. Even then his standup seems to be very wild haymakery punches (decent left jab mind you).

I thought Vincente did enough to win the fight. Why he basically shut up shop I don't know. His right leg kick was paying dividends (Hayder will be punished for that solid forward leg by decent UFC fighters) and Hayder was clearly gassing at the end, if he pushed it he could have taken that fight and as it was, I thought Vincente was the better fighter on the night anyway. Don't leave it in the hands of the judges I guess!

If I never seen Glen and Dan's smug faces again it will be too soon. Great fight, terrible season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Pity I didn't get to see the result. Only 1 1/2 rounds cause I recorded it last night and some piece of shjt cricket game took up the first half of the recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Ladbrokes have this priced up now if anyone wants a punt?

7ae28288f873aae119bdf00600eb923a.png

I thought Hassan would be favourite based on what we've seen so far.

Interesting to see Usman favourite at a short-ish price considering he won a reasonably comfortable decision in week 1 but hasn't really been seen or heard of since. Do they know something we don't about what's going to happen over the next few episodes before the finale?

Either way, I'll have a small punt on Hassan for interest at that price even though I haven't really been impressed with anyone on this series.
    mailburner wrote: »
    with you on hayder for value
    wouldnt touch carl at 11/2
    bit sceptical as to how usman is such a short priced fav also

looks good now doesnt it

dont have a laddies account and never made it to the shop myself :(

Advertisement