Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TUF 21: American Top Team vs Blackzilians

• 19-04-2015 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

With this kicking off in the very early hours of Thursday morning our time, I thought it might be a good idea to have a dedicated thread so we can discuss the series throughout.

As mentioned above, the premiere will be on Thursday at 3am GMT on Fox which will be a 2 hour special, and then will continue being broadcast at the same time for 11 weeks with 1 hour episodes.

Obviously the format is completely different this year with the American Top Team and Blackzilians gyms facing off, but the concept is the same. This year it's 8 welterweights from each gym, however there are a few differences from previous season which should add to the drama: fighters continue to train at their respective gyms but fights are never on neutral ground as the winning fighter earns home gym control for the next bout. In addition, each fighter will never know their opponent until the weigh-ins start and there's a total of $500,000 up for grabs for each gym to pocket throughout the season.

Some background on the rivalry from UFC.com below:
    There’s no shortage of bad blood between these two camps. In 2001, the famed American Top Team gym was founded in Coconut Creek, Fla. by Dan Lambert. The gym has since been home to numerous champions and top contenders including current UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler, former title challengers Thiago Alves and Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva, former WEC® featherweight champ Mike Brown, Hector Lombard, Tyron Woodley and Dustin Poirier.

However, in 2011 several members defected to start their own camp, the Blackzilians.

Partnering with successful businessman Glenn Robinson, the fighters started their own training facility only 20 minutes away in Boca Raton, Fla., beginning one of the deepest rivalries in all of MMA. The Blackzilians camp is now home to former UFC light heavyweight champions Rashad Evans and Vitor Belfort, as well as top contenders Anthony Johnson, Eddie Alvarez, Michael Johnson and Matt Mitrione.

And the fighters who will be competing:

AMERICAN TOP TEAM
    Marcelo Alfaya (16-7, 1NC) Porto Alegre, Brazil
    Steve Carl (21-4), Belle Plain, Iowa
    Nathan Coy (14-5), Vallejo, Calif.
    Michael Graves (4-0), Toledo, Ohio
    Hayder Hassan (6-1), Fort Lauderdale, Fla
    Sabah Homasi (8-4), New Brunswick, N.J
    Uros Jurisic (5-0), Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Steve Montgomery (8-2), Florence, S.C.

BLACKZILIANS
    Valdir Araujo (14-5), Gama, Federal District, Brazil
    Carrington Banks (3-0), Peoria, Ill.
    Luiz Buscape (16-5), Joao Pessoa, Paraiba, Brazil
    Jason Jackson (4-2), Kingston, Jamaica
    Vicente Luque (7-4-1), Westwood, N.J.
    Andrews Nakahara (4-2-2), Mogi das Cruzes, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Felipe Portela (8-2), Brasilia, Brazil
    Kamarudeen Usman (5-1) Auchi, Nigeria

The finale is scheduled for July 12th (so the day after UFC 189) in Florida in what will add to an already insane week of UFC as Mir and Duffee face off on July 15th before we move across the pond to Glasgow on July 18th. Bring it on!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I'm curious to see how it'll pan out if some fighters from the same camp inevitably end up fighting each other, in the semis or in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I had no idea of that whole rivalry and what caused it. Have to say i like the sounds of this season. And im sure there will be plenty of Edmond Tarverdyan style gesticulating between camps hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,727 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Will this be on fight pass? Or is there a delayed release?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Surely Steve Carl has this wrapped up already? Looking forward to the season though. I know there've been a load of seasons and it's kind of stale, but the UFC keep trying to change it up it must be said. Nations, Team v Team, TUF Live, All female cast, etc.

I'd still love to see another Comeback series though!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Petermc83

its being shown on BT Sport on Thursday night. check the listings for specified times..

looking forward to the different dynamic of the show. It was badly needed after a few lacklustre series. I enjoyed the all female series for the straw-weight belt though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Will this be on fight pass? Or is there a delayed release?
    Petermc83 wrote: »
    its being shown on BT Sport on Thursday night. check the listings for specified times..

Yep, 10pm Thursday night on BT Sport 1 for the 2 hour premiere:

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/146639322/107383163/ufc-the-ultimate-fighter#.VTbT-iFViko

I presume they'll have it every Thursday thereafter?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

califano wrote: »
    I had no idea of that whole rivalry and what caused it.

I think they are exaggerating it a lot. It was probably a sore point at the time, but ATT could hardly moan too much as they came about in the exact same manner, they spilt from Brazilian Top Team, who split from another team two years previous too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭xtal191

Paully D wrote: »
    Yep, 10pm Thursday night on BT Sport 1 for the 2 hour premiere:

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/146639322/107383163/ufc-the-ultimate-fighter#.VTbT-iFViko

I presume they'll have it every Thursday thereafter?

Its on BT Sport 2 at 3am tonight too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mellor wrote: »
    I think they are exaggerating it a lot. It was probably a sore point at the time, but ATT could hardly moan too much as they came about in the exact same manner, they spilt from Brazilian Top Team, who split from another team two years previous too.

It's the biggest rivalry in mma history. Tune in Thursday nights to see all the action.
    Wish I could do it in the Hollywood accent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Anyone watching?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

The points system seems really flawed. If a guy fights and wins once in the last 4 fights, he will have more points than a guy who has fought and won twice in the earlier rounds. That doesn't seem fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The points system seems really flawed. If a guy fights and wins once in the last 4 fights, he will have more points than a guy who has fought and won twice in the earlier rounds. That doesn't seem fair.

It's all team based this year, not fighter specific.

The "beef" between ATT and blackzillians seems a small bit forced in the first episode tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

dulux99 wrote: »
    The "beef" between ATT and blackzillians seems a small bit forced in the first episode tbh

Yeah I'm watching it right now as well. The episode as a whole is very contrived so far and not very interesting.

I hope they're not all going to be an hour and a half long.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm watching it right now as well. The episode as a whole is very contrived so far and not very interesting.

I hope they're not all going to be an hour and a half long.

Honestly, if all of the episodes are going to revolve around these two bickering middle aged men who I've never heard of, I'll probably last about three episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

dulux99 wrote: »
    Honestly, if all of the episodes are going to revolve around these two bickering middle aged men who I've never heard of, I'll probably last about three episodes.

Can totally understand why they hate each other because neither one comes across as very likeable. If they we reasonably dynamic, interesting characters I could understand giving them so much of the screen time, but they're not.

Dana thought the fight was poor. I thought it was pretty decent in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Not a great first episode, the production on these are contrived as dulux99 puts it. I think they should go down a whole new angle where they are following 3 fighters around and all the rest are peripheral. Sort of day in the life 'Hoop Dreams' style focusing on the trials and tribulations of just these 3 and of course all the fights regardless of whether they are in them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If this is going to boil down to the ATT fella' screaming "I have a blackbelt, you don't" then he needs a good fúcking slap.

The Blackzillans guy obviously knows how to coach, he's got a quality gym built from the ground up. It's very 'UFC meets Jersey Shore' so far.

I also thought the first fight was good? No idea what Dana was moaning about. It had stand-up, grappling, some slick submission attempts (that back take to rear naked transition was sweet!) and clinch work. Basically a MMA fight that touched every base.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mike Tobacco

Dana was moaning because he wants brawls not fights. If you're not steaming forward at every possible moment you're not "showing that you want it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

"You're the most unathletic guy in the room!" says the second most unathletic guy in the room.

Thought the show was crap. Overly complex format and a load of fighters who are there just because they're at the right gym at the right time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It's all team based this year, not fighter specific.

So the 500K prize is going to the winning gym?

Dana was moaning because he wants brawls not fights. If you're not steaming forward at every possible moment you're not "showing that you want it".

He can be a right clown some times. These two fighters could potentially be fighting two or three more times over the next 6 weeks or so, why would you go out and have a rock em sock em robots fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

So the 500K prize is going to the winning gym?

Uh. That's like when I was younger and you'd see some kid in a quiz on telly. The big prize they'd win would be a brand new computer. WOW....... For your school.... Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MagicIRL wrote: »
    The Blackzillans guy obviously knows how to coach, he's got a quality gym built from the ground up.

"from the ground up"...see thats the part ATT are mad about. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Mellor wrote: »
    "from the ground up"...see thats the part ATT are mad about. ;)

Haha, you know what I mean!

He started the team himself. I'm not here for American Florida-state MMA gym politics, I just want to watch people fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

I watched the second episode today and they seem to be making this more about the coaches hating each other than the fighters. I'd like to see more of the training. It is all making for dull television.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I like the format but the rivalry is way too forced and cringey.

"You're the most un-athletic guy in the room"

I was nearly expecting a play ground comeback such as, "yeah well you're old"

"At least I've got hair you smelly man"

etc etc

The production is a bit strange. I only know about fighters and their style more than what they're like as a person outside of the gym.

I'll stick with it for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Corny show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Jesus yer man Dan is a right prick altogether. He has made me root for Blackzillians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Dan Lambert really is a first class wanker. Hopefully the Blackzilians keep on winning.

Advertisement