Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fracking in Lough Allen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Spunkypoo

Tamboran are meeting with the public this evening at 7pm in the Bush Hotel, Carrick-on-Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Penfailed

To anyone who thinks it is 'safe' - they pump a mixture of water, sand and chemicals into the ground. Where does the chemical part of the mixture end up?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Spunkypoo wrote: »
    Tamboran are meeting with the public this evening at 7pm in the Bush Hotel, Carrick-on-Shannon.

This is the update. Dont think it panned out the way they hoped.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0909/1224303759867.html

Doing the North Leitrim Glens Run or Know someone who is?

This is an alert for those of you who may know people who are doing the North Leitrim Glens Run run tomorrow or may be doing the run yourself.
    We would love to have as many runners out in the Farming not Fracking tshirts as we can. Pls ask around and try to get a herd going. :)

For more info on how to get them pls pm me asap.

PEACEFUL PROTEST SATURDAY 17TH SEPTEMBER. SLIGO PARK HOTEL CAR PARK, 8PM. Pat Rabbitte Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources, will be attending a function at the Sligo Park Hotel on saturday evening 17th September. We hope to make the Minister aware of the degree of local opposition to the awarding of licenses to gas companies and our opinions about hydraulic fracturing in Ireland. Please attend this peaceful protest. Numbers will speak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Fracking is a form of terrorism against the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 InquiringMind

Here is a list of some of the chemicals used in fracking, some nasty stuff in there

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭terenurebob

Don't know if anyone else has read this or not.... Poland has decided to go with full scale production in 2014 while France has banned the practiceL http://uk.news.yahoo.com/poland-targets-2014-shale-gas-debut-125507849.html

The main issue I have with this is what are they going to do if it all goes wrong. It's isn't like an oil spill that they can "clean" up. What do they do if they crack the rock and the gas starts leaking up through the ground? How will they ever clean up that mess!!! Then entire length of the Shannon from Lough Allen to Limerick will be ruined for generations, won't it?

The worst part about all of this is that Ireland has enough wind energy that electricity should nearly be free. We could even harness solar energy, plenty of people do this today to heat water in their homes.

If this gas is so hard to get at then we shouldn't be trying to get it. The risk of the damage to the environment for something that is not a renewable energy source doesn't seem like a good bet considering there are alternatives.

Don't we have the brains to the use the raw materials available on this island to use renewable sources?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Where's 'Ming' Flanagan on all this? I don't have a Facebook account ~ nor will I ever! I don't " Tweet ".

But, viewing his own web site? All he's " tweeted " there is that there's to be some public meeting about fracking. I can't find any expression of his personal opinion on the issues anywhere.

I've just tried to email him; Seems my email address isn't valid? Really? I've been getting mails on it all night. I c/p'd it into his 'form'. Then I typed it. Won't let me approach Ming though.

Curioser and curioser ....!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U01EK76Sy4A&NR=1
    Tap water on fire:eek: it could be seeping into your home and you wouldn't know it, it being odorless in its natural state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

Ditch wrote: »
    Where's 'Ming' Flanagan on all this? I don't have a Facebook account ~ nor will I ever! I don't " Tweet ".

But, viewing his own web site? All he's " tweeted " there is that there's to be some public meeting about fracking. I can't find any expression of his personal opinion on the issues anywhere.

I've just tried to email him; Seems my email address isn't valid? Really? I've been getting mails on it all night. I c/p'd it into his 'form'. Then I typed it. Won't let me approach Ming though.

Curioser and curioser ....!

He attended the Carrick on Shannon public information meeting in september hosted by the Lough Allen Conservation Society. He spoke powerfully from the floor during the questions and answers. He said that he was opposed to Fracking before the meeting and was even more opposed to it after the he had heard the various speakers.

Thanks for that, Garth. Good to hear.

Even better to hear though would be some reports from the man himself.

Without jumping on the whole 'Dope Fiend / Hippy / Eco Warrior' image thing, I'd have thought a guy like Luke presents himself to be would be absolutely incandescent about all this ~ and bloody well making his feelings plain and heard.

I'm totally disappointed with what I've found coming from the man himself :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stranger2011

tuppence wrote: »
    New website there with plenty of information and resources to download. And the petition is there too.

http://frackingfreeireland.org/

I'm concerned, even worried about fracking and the potential it has to damage our local ecosystem, but that site is just embarassing. If I believed in conspiracy theories I'd say it was created by the fracking companies to discredit any possible protests. Just looking at it made me want to distance myself from everyone involved, and I'm on the same bloody side.

For example: the site subtitle is "Keep the frogs in and the frackers out!". To highlight that, there are pictures of frogs. What have frogs got to do with it? Nothing apparently. The front page also includes a poem. And there's a 'movies and songs' page. frogs? songs? really? Is Paul McCartney onboard?

Since this is such a potentially serious issue, the information around it should have a serious tone. This site discredits the entire movement.

I'm concerned, even worried about fracking and the potential it has to damage our local ecosystem, but that site is just embarassing. If I believed in conspiracy theories I'd say it was created by the fracking companies to discredit any possible protests. Just looking at it made me want to distance myself from everyone involved, and I'm on the same bloody side.

For example: the site subtitle is "Keep the frogs in and the frackers out!". To highlight that, there are pictures of frogs. What have frogs got to do with it? Nothing apparently. The front page also includes a poem. And there's a 'movies and songs' page. frogs? songs? really? Is Paul McCartney onboard?

Since this is such a potentially serious issue, the information around it should have a serious tone. This site discredits the entire movement.

I would say that is a bit harsh. You must not have looked at all the site. It has excellently compiled alot of the peer reviewed research out there,and press releases. If the frogs put you off it is useful to get feedback, because like any voluntary campaign it is run by volunteers who are doing the utmost best. Btw I have heard that problem with the 'frogs' before, welcome your feedback and have given it back to teh relevant person.
    Dont actually agee tho with your assesment of the input of poems and stuff, you will note that alot of campaigns use poems and songs and art have educational as well as morale purposes for what can be a long road. (Its a long way to Tipperary!) Just another form of communication really to give out information. I particularly like this song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTKpxHg9Z3s

Hi Public information event coming up in Manorhamilton on Tuesday. Called Love Leitrim...
    Gas Mining: Our Future?
    Tuesday, 18th Oct, 7.30pm, Bee park Manorhamilton,

Thught frontline was bad. Things dont add up here as well but we have more to lose.
    http://what-the-frack.org/

(Luke Flanagan) said that he was opposed to Fracking before the meeting and was even more opposed to it after the he had heard the various speakers.

OK. Just to update here: I've exchanged email with Luke and, yeppers, he does say ..... well, I'm not happy to quote the mans private email.

But, yes; He's personally assured me that he's not a happy bunny, regarding some extremely fundamental aspects of the situation.

On a separate note; Maybe I'm a cynical old b@stard? Perhaps I don't meet and talk to real people enough? I dunno.

Only, my neighbours here are few and far between. Spoke to one today though: He's selling up and moving out.

Spoke to another, some while back. Cattle farmer. Got some land. His look said it all: 'My days of shifting silage will soon be over! I'll be Rich!'

Scary. And his children will inherit a few grand in the bank. And hundreds of acres of Biological Waste Land.

As for what their kids stand to reap from all this ..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Would fracking be contemplated in Wicklow, Kerry or Connemara? Donegal? Clare? No f@cking way would it. Leitrim is being sold a pup with this. Once up and running job numbers would be minimal. They cannot assure safety with such an unreliable and unrefined practice.
    My big worry is as mentioned above. Whilst the majority will be against it, there are those that are greedy and those that are broke who will not refuse the money for their land. This will lead to a community at war with itself. No good will come of it.
    Furthermore, the last thing Leitrim needs is professional tree huggers coming on board. Ex UCD students with smelly jumpers and wispy facial hair will only serve to discredit the legitamate concerns of the local population. Sons and daughters of professional parents on an extended gap year, getting on thier moral high horse on behalf of locals will turn out like the Corrib Gas fiasco, where initial public support turned to apathy and then distaste, watching ne'er do well wasters sitting under plant machinery and spraypainting portaloos.
    The profile needs to be raised in the national media more and opposition so fierce that the current government should be afraid to do anything else but recind the licences granted by the last shower.

il gatto wrote: »
    Would fracking be contemplated in Wicklow, Kerry or Connemara? Donegal? Clare? No f@cking way would it. Leitrim is being sold a pup with this. Once up and running job numbers would be minimal. They cannot assure safety with such an unreliable and unrefined practice.
    My big worry is as mentioned above. Whilst the majority will be against it, there are those that are greedy and those that are broke who will not refuse the money for their land. This will lead to a community at war with itself. No good will come of it.
    Furthermore, the last thing Leitrim needs is professional tree huggers coming on board. Ex UCD students with smelly jumpers and wispy facial hair will only serve to discredit the legitamate concerns of the local population. Sons and daughters of professional parents on an extended gap year, getting on thier moral high horse on behalf of locals will turn out like the Corrib Gas fiasco, where initial public support turned to apathy and then distaste, watching ne'er do well wasters sitting under plant machinery and spraypainting portaloos.
    The profile needs to be raised in the national media more and opposition so fierce that the current government should be afraid to do anything else but recind the licences granted by the last shower.

I know that Gaslands the award winning film/documentary has its critics, but it would be a great way to start a national debate on this if RTE ever put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

il gatto wrote: »

I know that Gaslands the award winning film/documentary has its critics, but it would be a great way to start a national debate on this if RTE ever put it on.

That's to assume RTE has the public interest at heart. I don't believe that it does. And with Pat Kenny earning most a million in 2009 and Marian Finnucane earning half a million for 4 hours broadcasting a week, why would they care?
    I believe the independent broadcasters are more likely to rock the boat.

• Advertisement

Last minute information for those of you in the South Leitrim area.

Fracking information night as part of week long events, tonight Nov 14th in the Bush Hotel 7.30pm.

Speakers include
    Rob Doyle Vetenarian
    Cllr Gerry Dolan
    Fr. O Shea PP Sooey
    Sean Wynne Lough Allen Conservation Group
    Special guest Marcus Knapper. Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

you guys are talking about it a conspiracy to pollute the environment in order to secure profits. I don't believe that to be the case, i believe that these will act in a socially responsible and professional manner.

IPB

I don't know much about fracking etc. but Dude, you are unbelievably naive.

Screening of Gasland the Oscar nominated movie about hydraulic fracturing in America, organised for Wed 16th of November at 8pm in Davitts Pub, Drumkeeran.
    The film will be followed by a talk by Rob Doyle Vetinarian where questions can be addressed from the audience.

Table quiz, Friday 25th of Nov, 8pm in heraghtys pub, Manorhamilton.
    Proceeds go towards Love leitrim Group: raising awareness about Hydraulic Fracturing (Fracking) in North leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

Roscommon County Council have vote unanimosly voted in favour of a ban on Fracking.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1202/1224308473434.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Great news..

Lets hope the leitrim Councillors follow suit and show the same courage and support for their people. Theres been a motion before them on Monday afaik.
    Its symbolic in many ways but hugely significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

countryfile on bbc sunday 04 have a piece about fracking should be interesting

Lets hope the leitrim Councillors follow suit and show the same courage and support for their people. Theres been a motion before them on Monday afaik.
    Its symbolic in many ways but hugely significant.

Motion for a moratorium on any type of fracking in Leitrim will be put forward by cllr gerry Dolan tomorrow evening at their council meeting.

Now is the peoples chance to voice their concerns. Please if everyone on a personal level, emailed tonight or phoned their local councillors in the am and told them to support the motion because of your real concerns, you would be surprised at the power of people working together. Here are the details of the councillors. (details at the left of the pg in their areas)
    http://www.leitrimcoco.ie/eng/About_the_Council/County_Councillors/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement