Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N2 - Slane Bypass [planning decision pending]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

unicorn97 wrote: »
    Please tell me you're joking.

How can the locals of Slane be tortured into crawling up and down them hills at 30km/h with speed cameras on them.

The stupidity of these speed limits are what cause accidents:mad:

i agree, im from Slane and daily have to go up that hill. I very seldom see anyone obeying the 30kmh speed limit because its ridiculous and too far out of the village. My partner has a box installed in her car by insurance company so she has to do 30kmh. I driven it a few times and find it extremely difficult to do 30kmh especially if there is traffic behind you waiting impatiently. Its more of a stressful experience every time. I have inquired to County Counsel (probably waste of time) to change the location of the speed limits, since there would be no chance of it ever going back to 50kmh. If they had it at 50 from the lay by on Dublin rd (This is if your coming from Dublin to Slane) right up until you just peak the hill entering Slane and then drop it to 30kmh. This will allow drivers to get up the hill and lorry's to have the momentum to get up safely, then once they get to the top drop to 30kmh. It would work so much better than doing 30kmh for like a mile before the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

But the M1 is only a few km from Ardee, It makes no sense to have 2 national routes going to basically the same place.
    Just ban HGV through traffic N/S in Ardee and Slane, only allowing e/w traffic on n51,52

Set up automatic speed cameras on the 30kmh section of existing road through Slane to encourage motorists to take an alternative route...

The M1/M50 junction is the busiest in the country, it makes no sense to have a policy of routing even more traffic through this one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Probably more looking for opinions but...

How realistic is this bypass to get built within next 5 years

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Probably more looking for opinions but...

How realistic is this bypass to get built within next 5 years

It's on the list so seemingly it will, yea.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

i agree, im from Slane and daily have to go up that hill. I very seldom see anyone obeying the 30kmh speed limit because its ridiculous and too far out of the village. My partner has a box installed in her car by insurance company so she has to do 30kmh. I driven it a few times and find it extremely difficult to do 30kmh especially if there is traffic behind you waiting impatiently. Its more of a stressful experience every time. I have inquired to County Counsel (probably waste of time) to change the location of the speed limits, since there would be no chance of it ever going back to 50kmh. If they had it at 50 from the lay by on Dublin rd (This is if your coming from Dublin to Slane) right up until you just peak the hill entering Slane and then drop it to 30kmh. This will allow drivers to get up the hill and lorry's to have the momentum to get up safely, then once they get to the top drop to 30kmh. It would work so much better than doing 30kmh for like a mile before the village.

In general, I do wonder what kind of people set speed limits - especially when considering unrealistically low ones on motorway slips (M50 ones etc.) and toll point approaches (M3 southern toll for example). In urban areas blanket speed limits of 50kph are frequently applied, regardless of road conditions - some urban (or semi urban) roads are quite open and could take 60kph, while other such roads run through shopping areas where 30kph is far more appropriate. Also, instead of having a permanent speed limit of 50kph outside schools, why can't legislation be drawn up to facilitate part time speed limits where for example, a main rural regional road running past a school has a default speed limit of 80kph, but reduces to 30kph (with 50kph buffer approach zones) at school collection/drop off times.

I do wonder if many of those who decide on speed limits actually drive??? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Middle Man wrote: »
    In general, I do wonder what kind of people set speed limits - especially when considering unrealistically low ones on motorway slips (M50 ones etc.) and toll point approaches (M3 southern toll for example). In urban areas blanket speed limits of 50kph are frequently applied, regardless of road conditions - some urban (or semi urban) roads are quite open and could take 60kph, while other such roads run through shopping areas where 30kph is far more appropriate. Also, instead of having a permanent speed limit of 50kph outside schools, why can't legislation be drawn up to facilitate part time speed limits where for example, a main rural regional road running past a school has a default speed limit of 80kph, but reduces to 30kph (with 50kph buffer approach zones) at school collection/drop off times.

I do wonder if many of those who decide on speed limits actually drive??? :rolleyes:

Speed limits should be set according to engineering standards, not opinions of councillors. Some narrow rural roads, without hard shoulders, have 100 km/h limits, but others, like the N4 from Liffey Valley to the M4 have 80 km (used to be 60 km/h) when 100 km/h would be more appropriate.

More use of timed speed limit restrictions might be a good approach.

Speed limits should be set according to engineering standards, not opinions of councillors.

Who would you even go to, to get this reviewed, County Council will do nothing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Who would you even go to, to get this reviewed, County Council will do nothing

I would think it is Dept of Transport or the RSA who would be the lead authority. Leadership is usually in short supply though.

Speed limits should be set according to engineering standards, not opinions of councillors. Some narrow rural roads, without hard shoulders, have 100 km/h limits, but others, like the N4 from Liffey Valley to the M4 have 80 km (used to be 60 km/h) when 100 km/h would be more appropriate.

More use of timed speed limit restrictions might be a good approach.

Absolutely agree, but in addition speed limits should be determined by people with comprehensive driving experience in addition to their engineering qualifications.

• Advertisement

Absolutely agree, but in addition speed limits should be determined by people with comprehensive driving experience in addition to their engineering qualifications.

What I mean by engineering is the following:

1. Width of carriageway and overall width of road

2. Standard of road - dual, single, with hard shoulder, width of hard shoulder

3. Type of intersections - at grade or grade separated, minor road or major intersection, etc.

4. Sight lines and gradients - how far can drivers see from main road, and how far can drivers on minor road see?

5 Quality of surface - how easy is it to stop from the speed limit?

You could add an element of subjective safety to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

In this country and with the prominence given to cars in everyday life, it seems rare that someone with a half-decent job like an engineer would not have a car...

Also, what has this to do with the planning process for the Slane bypass?

Deedsie wrote: »
    What about other vulnerable road users that also use the road? Pedestrians and cyclists? Should they not be take into account when applying speed limits on roads?

the hard shoulders are massive down the Dublin road, a path from the lay by to the lights, there is a painted path across the bridge (not ideal but better than nothing), and path all way through village, and decent size paths also. Its safer than other villages out there for pedestrians and cyclists.

What about other vulnerable road users that also use the road? Pedestrians and cyclists? Should they not be take into account when applying speed limits on roads?

Of course.

It is off topic, when I get time I'll move it to a new thread.

You are 100% right for this area. I was just making the general point that there are more things to go into assigning speed limits on roads nationwide than the 5 points made by Sam Russell.

His points are all correct but it's not limited to that. How many pedestrians have been killed in the roads so far on our roads this year? 4 in two weeks?

Safety of vulnerable road users must also be considered.

If this is off topic mods let me know and I will delete.

i agree they need to be considered also no matter the location. If the bypass did actually happen it would certainly increase the safety of all for the village as no big lorries will be driving through. But as of now, and the speed limit of 30kmh, its just too ridiculous and needs to be looked at.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Seeing as there are disconnected discussions taking place on the N2, N4 and N25 threads, here's a thread to discuss cyclist provisions on new national road schemes.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057694424/

i agree they need to be considered also no matter the location. If the bypass did actually happen it would certainly increase the safety of all for the village as no big lorries will be driving through. But as of now, and the speed limit of 30kmh, its just too ridiculous and needs to be looked at.

The speed limit be 30kph in the two main streets and on the bridge itself only - perhaps include the steep northern approach. The rest of Slane should be 50kph IMO.

Kicking the can down the road Full redesign of this scheme to start in 2017, as confirmed by Minister Ross when asked about safety issues on the N2 during the week
    As regards major schemes, the proposed N2 Slane bypass has been included in the capital plan among those schemes planned to commence during the plan period. Funding totalling €1.2 million has been provided by TIl in 2017 to prepare a new design for the scheme.

Source: https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2017-02-23a.487

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Why a redesign?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Why a redesign?

Wasn't the original plan shot down by ABP or someone like that?

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Wasn't the original plan shot down by ABP or someone like that?
    I think because the traffic study undertaken wasn't comprehensive enough to justify the building of the road not so far from Newgrange and Ledwidge (sp?) House

This bypass needs to be built ASAP - Slane is a heritage town and should not have a main road (major regional or national) going through it.

This bypass needs to be built ASAP - Slane is a heritage town and should not have a main road (major regional or national) going through it.
    I *think* it will still have the N51 going through it, although the worst parts of it are closer to Navan and Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I *think* it will still have the N51 going through it, although the worst parts of it are closer to Navan and Drogheda.

At least the N51 doesn't cross that god awful bridge. Wouldn't be the worst thing if it got left way it is. That said, good to future-proof

In February 2017, Meath CoCo appointed RPS to progress the Slane Bypass scheme through Phases 1-4 of TII's Project Management Guidelines and TII's Project Appraisal Guidelines. The scheme has passed Phase I, the Feasibility Study stage.

RPS are now progressing the scheme through the Route Selection stage, within the following area: http://www.n2slanebypass.ie/MDT0806Arc0001A01%20Study%20Area%20.pdf

Further information @ www.n2slanebypass.ie

This won't be on the ground for another 4/5 years, assuming it gets past ABP this time.

Tender gone out for ground investigation - likely to see a preferred route emerge soon

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=117778&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Several routes have been identified for the N2 Slane bypass scheme:

http://n2slanebypass.ie/MDT0806GR0003D01%20A3%20PUBLIC%20CONSULTATION%20DAY%20NOV2017.pdf

One of the options involves no new road infrastructure, but traffic management centered around banning HGVs from the N2 or barrier free tolling of HGVs on the N2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Best of luck telling CRH there trucks are going to be charged going back in to Dublin or try telling them to head to navan or drogheda to get to the city and see what happens.

Looking at the options E looks the most straight forward but I'd say it will be pricey between the earthworks and bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

E please

D is just as ridiculous as A. Lets go straight through Slane Castle!!

• Advertisement

i think G would be best, E is too close to the village, keep it away from it as much as possible. E is also to close to ledwidge cottage also which i cant see happening as there too many houses around the cottage. Another reason im against E is because when crossing the 'old' bridge i want to look down the river, not be looking at another bridge. There are many complications with all options i think, but E is a no go for me

Advertisement