Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

nazoil wrote: »
    no

Go to http://www.ipaddressguide.com/

Then in the "PING" box on the left, type in the URL and push Enter.

It'll show you the IP address on the second page. It'll ping it 4 times.

Hope that helps. Unfortunately we cannot publish any IP addresses.

Thanks

Quick check.

Everyone happy with Sierra 888 support in the DOVADO UMR? Does it work well for you?

We haven't heard any complaints yet.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

DOVADO wrote: »
    Seems like you have power-saving enabled on the WLAN interface in your computer. Try switching that feature off and see if it helps. Also wouldn't hurt to check whether or not you have the latest WLAN driver. Which firmware are you running in your UMR?

Thanks

Thanks very much....everywhere I looked it was all about change this registry entry and change that reg entry that.

Hasnt dropped once yet since modified the power settings.

:D

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Szondi wrote: »
    Thanks very much....everywhere I looked it was all about change this registry entry and change that reg entry that.

Hasnt dropped once yet since modified the power settings.

:D

Yeah, that tends to fix such issues. It's either that or a driver upgrade in the computer.

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 maxvanpeer

Hello Jfinlan!

Connection Tracker:

Connection Tracker works, for certain. It's been rigorously tested, proven and appraised by countless users.

The CT pings 3 different destinations each minute. My best advice would be that each IP address that is pinged belongs to a different geography. If ALL three fail to respond, the CT will attempt a reconnect. Depending on your Failure Handling selection, should the UMR still not be able to connect to the Internet after 3 attempts, it will restart itself and retry.

In your instance, my guess would be that your internet connection might be experiencing intermittent drops, which in effect trigger the Connection Tracker (after having polled each minute) to detect a temporary drop and convince it that the line is dropped for good. My suggestion based on that would be that you widen out the pinging poll from 1 minute to say 10 minutes or more. Make sure that the 3 IP addresses you've assigned have been tested by the CT and that they are "stabile" addresses. I typically target the more established organizations which are already running loads of traffic.

MAC Addess Control:

Say, that is odd! Are you combining it with WLAN Encryption of any kind? If so, have you checked first if the computers can work with Encryption only before enabling the MAC Address Control? Also, did you do a restart after applying and saving this configuration before attempting to connect the computers? If the problem persists, please send us an email at support@dovado.com and we'll gladly look into it!

Huawei E170 modem:

A very good device when combined with the DOVADO UMR, indeed. I used it throughout the summer when it came out, and must say am happy with the uplink speed. I was getting between 3-5Mbps down and over 1.3Mbps up with that one. Plus, in the UMR it supports SMS (like all Huawei modems), and you'll be seeing a lot of cool features in the coming 3.0 release from us related to that!

Sierra Wireless:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmaybe! Right now we do not see much of a market demand for that brand, but we're not closing the door on supporting them. They are a respected brand, but the market is clearly dominated on this side of the Atlantic by Huawei, Option Technology, Novatel Wireless and ZTE.

All the best.
    Well can I add my findings with the Dovado, it's an excellent piece of equipment and the Wifi has a good range, I have located my Dongle outside (weather proof) and have now (78%) excellent reception all around my holiday appt in Portugal and . . . the support from Dovado is second-to-None.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Kcolyhs

Thanks for a great product.
    I was previously using a Dlink Dir-451 which was very buggy and had non-existent support.

My UMR ocassionaly loses connection with the USB modem, and repeated restarts do not help. Sometimes even shutting the power fails to resurrect the modem.
    I discovered that if I click: Internet/Internet Connection, then select- "Ethernet cable in WAN port", save then restart. Then undo the above change, save and restart. The USB modem will be revived.
    My question is: in the next firmware update can the UMR be configured to "re-initialize" the USB port when restarting, so that a simple restart can reliably bring back the USB modem?

Kcolyhs wrote: »
    Thanks for a great product.
    I was previously using a Dlink Dir-451 which was very buggy and had non-existent support.

My UMR ocassionaly loses connection with the USB modem, and repeated restarts do not help. Sometimes even shutting the power fails to resurrect the modem.
    I discovered that if I click: Internet/Internet Connection, then select- "Ethernet cable in WAN port", save then restart. Then undo the above change, save and restart. The USB modem will be revived.
    My question is: in the next firmware update can the UMR be configured to "re-initialize" the USB port when restarting, so that a simple restart can reliably bring back the USB modem?

Uhhhh...what? That is weird! Email us at support@dovado.com with full description of what you're using (modem and SIM card), so we can analyze further.

Here it is, working with Sierra 888:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭itisyeah

Hi Dovado,

When I connect to play games on XBox Live it says my NAT settings are restricting my access.
    http://192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/getcfg.cgi?netparams_op+/content/system/network.html shows NAT is enabled.
    NAT is enabled and when I disable it I cannot get out onto the net (obviously as the router has given my a private address through DHCP)
    Can NAT somehow be tweaked?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Kcolyhs

itisyeah wrote: »
    Hi Dovado,

When I connect to play games on XBox Live it says my NAT settings are restricting my access.
    http://192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/getcfg.cgi?netparams_op+/content/system/network.html shows NAT is enabled.
    NAT is enabled and when I disable it I cannot get out onto the net (obviously as the router has given my a private address through DHCP)
    Can NAT somehow be tweaked?

Thanks

You probably need to configure port forwarding:

w*w.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/DOVADO/UMR_Broadband/Xbox_Live_360.htm

• Advertisement

Kcolyhs wrote: »

Just did that and it seems to have stopped the warning from appearing, thanks!

itisyeah wrote: »
    Just did that and it seems to have stopped the warning from appearing, thanks!

I'm glad we sorted that out :D

More info like this is available on http://www.dovado.com/support

Enjoy the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eric321

Hi @all,

it is my first post here, since i am not a native english speaker i think my english sounds a little funny sometimes :D. hoping i can get to the heart.

i have been using the umr since middle of march, it meets all my expectations and i am quite satisfied with it.

there are two things i would ask for.

first: i would really appreciate switching wlan via sms command.

second (nice to have) deals with traffic counter: all providers i know using own bill cycles.
    e.g. my billing period starts every 15th. So the traffic counter is quite useless for me. what about the option to setup the day for resetting traffic counter.

eric321 wrote: »
    Hi @all,

it is my first post here, since i am not a native english speaker i think my english sounds a little funny sometimes :D. hoping i can get to the heart.

i have been using the umr since middle of march, it meets all my expectations and i am quite satisfied with it.

there are two things i would ask for.

first: i would really appreciate switching wlan via sms command.

second (nice to have) deals with traffic counter: all providers i know using own bill cycles.
    e.g. my billing period starts every 15th. So the traffic counter is quite useless for me. what about the option to setup the day for resetting traffic counter.

I don't get it. What's wrong with your English? ;)

We'll put up your requests for review.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DanRocksOn

I am having problems with the Sierra 888.
    I have a Vodafone E220 modem and wanted to get higher speeds on O2.
    The modem connects (reports 34% signal) and then drops the connection.
    Retries, retries and then connects and then drops again.
    I'm on 3.0.3. The blue light is on in the modem when it disconnects.
    Not sure if its the network or the Dovado.
    The Vodafone connection at 15% works flawlessly.

Dan

DanRocksOn wrote: »
    I am having problems with the Sierra 888.
    I have a Vodafone E220 modem and wanted to get higher speeds on O2.
    The modem connects (reports 34% signal) and then drops the connection.
    Retries, retries and then connects and then drops again.
    I'm on 3.0.3. The blue light is on in the modem when it disconnects.
    Not sure if its the network or the Dovado.
    The Vodafone connection at 15% works flawlessly.

Dan

Dan, did you check your PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DanRocksOn

Dan, did you check your PM?
    Not quite sure what the PM is?

DanRocksOn wrote: »
    Not quite sure what the PM is?

Private Message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 niallo48

Hi there, just got my dovado router, and had it up and running on the sierra compass 888 modem on O2 in no time, its brilliant no more fighting for the usb modem....
    i just have one query i have setup a local computer running my website just for testing purposes but i would like to access it through a public server before i buy a hosting site.
    I have the computer setup with a static ip address and set up port forwarding as per the dovado website instructions.. i just can seem to access it from the ip address provided by O2 that i get from the modem settings..
    Maybe O2 don't allow this? has anyone tried this..

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers

niallo48 wrote: »
    Hi there, just got my dovado router, and had it up and running on the sierra compass 888 modem on O2 in no time, its brilliant no more fighting for the usb modem....
    i just have one query i have setup a local computer running my website just for testing purposes but i would like to access it through a public server before i buy a hosting site.
    I have the computer setup with a static ip address and set up port forwarding as per the dovado website instructions.. i just can seem to access it from the ip address provided by O2 that i get from the modem settings..
    Maybe O2 don't allow this? has anyone tried this..

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers

Which APN are you using? Is the IP address which is displayed on http://www.whatismyip.com the same IP address as in the MODEM->MODEM SETTINGS page of your DOVADO UMR?

• Advertisement

Hi Dovado,
    thanks for your quick response, yes it is the same ip address on the modem settings as the whatismyip.com. The APN is open.internet which is a public address. Is it possible with mobile broadband that i'm sharing my ip address with other people or something.. The error on the browser is a tcp/error 500 something or other. I can access my web server using the local ip from another computer in the network so its working. Also if i type the public IP address from within the network i get the router home page. Its just when i try it from outside my network it doesn't work.

Thanks

So is it fair to assume that the web server running on the PC is operating on port 80? Do you know whether or not port 80 is open for business in general? Maybe O2 is blocking that?

Thanks Dovado, i will try a different port,
    just to confirm, i have two ports setup in the port forwarding, port 80 which is the router port and also port 80 on my local computer. So i will need to change the the port number for the router to one that O2 allows. I didn't think it would have mattered to o2 what port i used on my hardware

so when i'm typing from a public sever it will be
    for example [URL]http://MODEMIPADDRESS:ROUTERPORT[/URL]
    not [URL="http://159.170.106.27:LOCALCOMPUTERPORT"]http://MODEMIPADDRESS:LOCALCOMPUTERPORT[/URL]

I'll give it a try and let you know..

Thanks

niallo48,

I'd say the best thing to do is to put the DOVADO UMR aside for now and just confirm how that server works with the USB modem inserted. See if this scenario will work first before introducing the router into it. If it works, then great, it ought to work in the UMR. If it doesn't, then check either your firewall settings on the computer or check what O2 allows and blocks.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Get a 30 Euro a year hosted account.

It's almost certain against T&C to host any kind of of server on O2. (or most ISPs).

Also issues of dynamic IP, ISP NAT, your upload speed on O2 is everyone's download speed, traffic limits, session maintenence on a signal drop and security issues of "Hardening" a http server shared on Internet.

I have "real" 1Mbps upload BB and I have various hosted accounts for anything on the internet. You can setup replication, email, ssh all kinds of things to even make the hosted web server have "live" data from your 3G connection. Your PC on the O2 would then send changes automatically to the hosted server so then issue of hosting on O2, blocked ports, dynamic IP, dropped sessions and all doesn't matter. If the connection is dropped or doesn't connect, then the application retries later.

Clients to your webpage get hosted speed and latency instead of the rubbish Mobile upload and latency.

Hi Dovado,

I power off my router overnight and when I am at work.
    Today when I got back from work I fired it up and it had lost all its settings, WEP, APN Port Forwarding etc.

I just reconfigured it all again there so no harm done but is this normal behaviour? Is it recommended to leave it powered on all the time?

Thanks!

Thanks Watty, i know that, i would never try and host my website on a crappy mobile connection, its hard enough to browse with it. i just wanted to see was it possible and it is, so thats enough for me...

On that note as this a dovado forum i would just like to add that it works brilliant and i would recommend it to anyone who wants to share their mobile connection (if its worth sharing!!)

Thanks for your help.
    watty wrote: »
    Get a 30 Euro a year hosted account.

It's almost certain against T&C to host any kind of of server on O2. (or most ISPs).

Also issues of dynamic IP, ISP NAT, your upload speed on O2 is everyone's download speed, traffic limits, session maintenence on a signal drop and security issues of "Hardening" a http server shared on Internet.

I have "real" 1Mbps upload BB and I have various hosted accounts for anything on the internet. You can setup replication, email, ssh all kinds of things to even make the hosted web server have "live" data from your 3G connection. Your PC on the O2 would then send changes automatically to the hosted server so then issue of hosting on O2, blocked ports, dynamic IP, dropped sessions and all doesn't matter. If the connection is dropped or doesn't connect, then the application retries later.

Clients to your webpage get hosted speed and latency instead of the rubbish Mobile upload and latency.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ha!
    I hosted FTP, SMTP + POP3 (email), HTTP (web) and NTTP (newsgroups) on 300Baud packet radio via a Store & Forward Repeater.

Effective transfer rate under 100bps. Text Only stuff was OK. A regular webpage with Photos was 2 hrs.

Almost *ANYTHING* can be made to work. It being worthwhile is another story.

Hi all,

New firmware out. Amongst many things, we've set the Sierra Wireless Compass 885 & 888 modems to high power mode. Could be good for some of you on the O2 network.

Thanks,

http://www.dovado.com/umrfirmware

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eurmal

Is it possible to use the UMR just as a WAN link attached to another (802.11n) Wireless AP/Router?

Advertisement