Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

• 06-12-2013 5:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Dublin bus are looking to recruit part time drivers working late shifts Thursdays to Sundays, and Fridays to Mondays.

I'm a Dublin bus driver and I'm just letting people know about it.

Whatever other people tell you, it is a good job and its not a bad place to work.

If you have any questions about the job I'd like to help

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Human-Resources/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

What kind of time frame is a 'late shift'? 1600->midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It's great that the company is hiring again, so it's obviously a good sign that things could be on the up. It's certainly a job I'd like to do, and I do agree that it's a good one. Working late is grand as well, but it would mean having to sacrifice a social life on weekends, which may not suit all.

Unfortunately, it seems harder to get into now, unless one has the D licence (easily obtainable) and the CPC course as well, so obviously some previous experience in a similar role, or experience driving a HGV is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

What kind of time frame is a 'late shift'? 1600->midnight?

Generally it would start between 1500 and 1600 and finish between 12 and 0100

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I find it strange that they are hiring considering they were looking for cuts. Still good news on the job front though.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I find it strange that they are hiring considering they were looking for cuts. Still good news on the job front though.

Dublin bus are short staffed by about 100 drivers.

By hiring more drivers they will save on paying drivers overtime rates to cover the work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Dublin bus are short staffed by about 100 drivers.

By hiring more drivers they will save on paying drivers overtime rates to cover the work

Would that overtime rate be more than the weekly wage of the new drivers?

A new driver would probably get about €110 for a days work.

A driver there at the moment would get about €175 for a days overtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

"Dublin Bus looking for Drivers"

where did it last remember leaving them?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Grandad99

If you have any questions about the job I'd like to help

Hi Careful_now,

The website says;

You will be employed to operate scheduled services covering late shifts on a 4-day week from Thursday to Monday with the opportunity to progress to a 5-day week with rotating shifts''

Do you think initially this job would be on the night links ?

How long do you think it would be to get on the rotating 5-day shift ?

Thanks.

No. It wouldn't be the night links. You would be working late duties usually starting between 3 and 4 o'clock and finishing about 12.30. Night links are optional and when you are assigned which depot you are going to you should be able to apply to get the night links if you want them.

As for getting on the 5 day shift. Honestly, that's up to the company. Shouldn't be more than a year or two.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Hi Careful_now!,

I live just off the N11 on the QBC.

If successful with my application Donnybrook Garage would be ideal for me.

Would they likely place me in my preferred depot ?

Is Donnybrook one of the harder or easier ones to get into, or what way does this work ?

Thanks.

Grandad99 wrote: »
    Hi Careful_now!,

I live just off the N11 on the QBC.

If successful with my application Donnybrook Garage would be ideal for me.

Would they likely place me in my preferred depot ?

Is Donnybrook one of the harder or easier ones to get into, or what way does this work ?

Thanks.

Donnybrook is probably the biggest depot so you would have a good chance if getting that one.

They do try to facilitate everybody with the depot that's nearest their home, but that's not always possible.

If you are put in a depot that you don't like, you are suppose to wait 3 months before you can apply for a transfer, but if you talk to your union rep they can usually speed up the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭emmbaasee

Can anybody tell me what date the applications have to be submitted by ?
    Took a look at the website but i couldn't see anything.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭StreetLight

At the moment, it's open-ended. It will give potential applicants who currently do not possess the D licence and CPC qualifications time to obtain them.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭emmbaasee

Ah great thanks. I kind of thought that might be the case allright. It's a job i've considered before but i'm still not sure if i could hack the general public and all that comes with dealing with them.
    I don't consider it an easy job and i think they deserve the wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭coolbond

Does anyone know what the recruitment process is like,is it just an interview and driving assessment? or is it aptitude tests and assessments and role plays etc like alot of jobs??

When i started 8 years ago it was an aptitude test and do a report on an accident you were in or seen.

Then the next stage is a Driving assesment and interview.

I don't think its changed.

Then the next stage is a medical at the company doctor.

Once you pass that HR will call you with your start date.

It all happens very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Fair play for posting. My brother is a bus driver. It's a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mafamude

Thanks for the post! Can I ask something?

I have a Portuguese drivers licence and I worked 5 years for the equivalent of Dublin Bus in Lisbon, have reference letter, Portuguese CPC, all that jazz. Do you think they would consider my cv even with a Portuguese licence and I can change it while the process runs?

I would love to get in because driving is all I love to do!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Mafamude wrote: »
    Thanks for the post! Can I ask something?

I have a Portuguese drivers licence and I worked 5 years for the equivalent of Dublin Bus in Lisbon, have reference letter, Portuguese CPC, all that jazz. Do you think they would consider my cv even with a Portuguese licence and I can change it while the process runs?

I would love to get in because driving is all I love to do!

Thanks!

CPC is EU wide AFAIK and your Portuguese license is recognized here so as long as it's all up to date you should be good.
    They would asess your driving either way.

Boa sorte.

Grandad99 wrote: »
    Hi Careful_now,

The website says;

You will be employed to operate scheduled services covering late shifts on a 4-day week from Thursday to Monday with the opportunity to progress to a 5-day week with rotating shifts''

Do you think initially this job would be on the night links ?

How long do you think it would be to get on the rotating 5-day shift ?

Thanks.

The last time they had 4 day week drivers some of them did the nitelinks as a days work so it could involve the nitelinks on Fridays and Saturdays.

cdebru wrote: »
    CPC is EU wide AFAIK and your Portuguese license is recognized here so as long as it's all up to date you should be good.
    They would asess your driving either way.

Boa sorte.

Obrigada :)!

Going to send my application today and fingers crossed :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi all and best of luck to all that apply for the job.

I am a driver myself and have been driving many years now and like anything in life the job has it's ups and downs.

I like to drive so I applied and went through the process all starting with the interview then called to do aptitude test, then you are brought for a test drive in a car or van to see if you can handle that, then you are sent to training school for as far as I can remember 2 weeks minimum(may have changed). They will train you whether you have experience or not to make sure you are up to their high standards.

One thing I would like to add is that you all say it's a great job and I have to disagree to a degree.
    You are going to be dealing with the public who will eat away at you and if you have any feelings at all leave them behind if you take the job as you will deal with all sorts from the nicest of people to the type you wouldn't p**s on if they were on fire.
    The hours and rosters are very bad and extremely poor if you are any way at all new. It is getting to the pointwhere 8 and 9 year service you are still spare and on a completely different roster to those who would have been on the proper roster up to max year and half.

Over the years I have been attacked verbally and physically, spat at, followed by other road users and also blocked in and not let out for reasons god only knows as the cops wouldn't even figure out what was the other peoples problem. I have had incidents involving threats with knives and syringes including the odd bomb threat(crazy talk).

I find that the aggresion in people is on the rise and you will get a lot of you are lucky to have a job and why are you all going out of service and why are there 2 or 3 buses together and so on ....

Hi all and best of luck to all that apply for the job.

I am a driver myself and have been driving many years now and like anything in life the job has it's ups and downs.

I like to drive so I applied and went through the process all starting with the interview then called to do aptitude test, then you are brought for a test drive in a car or van to see if you can handle that, then you are sent to training school for as far as I can remember 2 weeks minimum(may have changed). They will train you whether you have experience or not to make sure you are up to their high standards.

One thing I would like to add is that you all say it's a great job and I have to disagree to a degree.
    You are going to be dealing with the public who will eat away at you and if you have any feelings at all leave them behind if you take the job as you will deal with all sorts from the nicest of people to the type you wouldn't p**s on if they were on fire.
    The hours and rosters are very bad and extremely poor if you are any way at all new. It is getting to the pointwhere 8 and 9 year service you are still spare and on a completely different roster to those who would have been on the proper roster up to max year and half.

Over the years I have been attacked verbally and physically, spat at, followed by other road users and also blocked in and not let out for reasons god only knows as the cops wouldn't even figure out what was the other peoples problem. I have had incidents involving threats with knives and syringes including the odd bomb threat(crazy talk).

I find that the aggresion in people is on the rise and you will get a lot of you are lucky to have a job and why are you all going out of service and why are there 2 or 3 buses together and so on ....

Had that experience for 5 years and a couple of months until I started with international routes, Spain, France and Switzerland. Been spat on, showed knives, broken beer bottles and so on. However I had nice times also and I miss the one in a million smile when a passenger shows gratitude for your hard work. I think the users are not that different from the Portuguese ones but if you ask me, in between being in an office and facing a computer 8h per day and drive, see people, face rush hour and so on, I rather take the second option.

The last time they had 4 day week drivers some of them did the nitelinks as a days work so it could involve the nitelinks on Fridays and Saturdays.

Nitelinks are counted as a late duty but as far as I know in all garages you have to opt in to it. If you want to do it you can, if you don't want to do it you don't have to.

If you did a nite link you are paid 2 hours over time for it as long with your days pay

Nitelinks are counted as a late duty but as far as I know in all garages you have to opt in to it. If you want to do it you can, if you don't want to do it you don't have to.

If you did a nite link you are paid 2 hours over time for it as long with your days pay

Yes that is for current staff but for new 4 day drivers I don't know if it will be the same also afair the last time they had 4 day drivers there was no overtime paid for working nitelinks as your days work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭coolbond

anyone have any idea when they-ll start contacting applicants?I applied just under 2 weeks ago

coolbond wrote: »
    anyone have any idea when they-ll start contacting applicants?I applied just under 2 weeks ago

Early January as far as I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Yes that is for current staff but for new 4 day drivers I don't know if it will be the same also afair the last time they had 4 day drivers there was no overtime paid for working nitelinks as your days work.

The new entrants may be rostered for Nitelink Duty as part of their normal working week,however as they will be working a mixture of Thurs-Sun and Fri-Mon this will be a moveable feast.

Incidentally,the settlement agreement states that ALL of the roster/rota changes WILL be implemented by 31st May 2014,so the full complement of New Drivers should be in service by then.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement