Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

laptop shutdown

• 14-04-2014 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Hi Experts! I have an infuriating problem with my Compaq laptop which I'm hoping to solve through this forum. Last St .Patricks Day I received an e-mail from Photobucket (apparently) tilted something like 'Unlucky for some' with a picture space. I soon as I opened it, I sat and watched my laptop slowly shut down. Doh. Luckily, I managed to re-start it through the Windows repair option.
    However, since then it's been randomly shutting down when in use. Usually I just re-start it, but last week it needed a 'Windows repair' again. I ran a full scan last Saturday and it found three severe threats from Java (?) which were removed.
    I thought my problems were over, but it happened again today. I don't think it's an overheating problem, it was running for nine hours during the scan. It only seems to happen when I'm actually using it, googling or e-mailing. And it will just full shut down in a split second. Nothing is saved, I have to start over.
    Any thoughts, ideas or advice much appreciated. And speak slowly please, I'm no tekkie!!
    Thanks in advance,
    Tony
    PS: It's only happened so far on battery power, not when plugged in, but that might just be luck?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Download Malwarebytes, install, do an update and give it a full scan, might be Malware related. It's also possible your battery is flupped.

How old is Laptop ?
    What OS ?

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Hi and thanks for the response. It's a Compaq CQ57, about 4 years old, and running Widows 7.
    I'll download and run Malwarebytes, thanks....but I'm wondering if it is in fact the battery. It doesn't seem to happen when I'm plugged in to the power supply.
    I should mention that it can cut out after a random length of time, sometimes 15 minutes maybe, other times maybe an hour.
    Your further input welcome!

OK, I've run Malwarebytes (and detected 19 issues that the day-long full scan missed, so thanks for that!) but the problem arose again today.
    I thinks it's definitely a battery problem, as it runs OK from the mains adapter.
    Before I look at replacing the battery, is there anything else I could investigate? i.e: does the laptop think the battery is low, and if so, would it just shut down instantly etc?
    Otherwise, who sells batteries at the best prices LOL?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Run the laptop with the battery removed should resolve the problem. Sounds like you may have been infected with malware though. What did malwarebytes find?

Nick

Hi Nick,
    Can't recall the scan issues, I was so amazed to find more problems and delighted to be able to remove them! The previous scan blamed Java though. (I had noticed repeated Java Update requests recently)
    This all seemed to start when I opened a Photobucket message and attepted to view the photo with it.
    Is it OK to remove the battery whilst the laptop is running and plugged into the mains?
    Thanks for your input BTW !
    Tony

• Advertisement

tony glenn wrote: »
    Hi Nick,
    Can't recall the scan issues, I was so amazed to find more problems and delighted to be able to remove them! The previous scan blamed Java though. (I had noticed repeated Java Update requests recently)
    This all seemed to start when I opened a Photobucket message and attepted to view the photo with it.
    Is it OK to remove the battery whilst the laptop is running and plugged into the mains?
    Thanks for your input BTW !
    Tony

Just shut the laptop down, unplug from the mains. Then remove the battery and run the system directly plugged in. Just don't unplug it while it's turned on or the system will shut off :) .
    Dodgy batteries can affect system stability/cause bad issues so it would be a good idea to rule that out first.
    Update Malwarebytes today and run another scan. It does sound like that photobucket link was dodgy

Nick

Thanks Nick, I'll try that tonight and (if you don't mind!) update you with the results.
    Cheers, Tony

Tony if the laptop is powered on and plugged-in/charging all the time it's probably just a case of the Battery is fecked due to never being discharged properly over a long period of time. If you don't actually need it to be portable, do what Nick says and it'll be fine. I had an old toshiba years ago and never had a battery for it but it was only used for presentations in meeting rooms that all had power outlets to plug it into.

21/25

Doh! Followed the instructions to the letter, halfway through running Malwarebytes on the battery, all going swimmingly...then POW.....switched off. What next?
    PS: At least the Anglo trial is going according to plan.

Doh! Followed the instructions to the letter, halfway through running Malwarebytes on the battery, all going swimmingly...then POW.....switched off. What next?
    PS: At least the Anglo trial is going according to plan.

Sounds like it could be a hardware fault. Does the machine get quite hot before it shuts down? Do you know the exact model of the Compaq? I.e: Compaq Pressario 12345Q or whatever. Generally the model number is printed on a sticker underneath or may be printed somewhere on the bezel around the screen/keyboard.

Nick

• Advertisement

Hi Nick, and thanks for your continued assistance! No, it doesn't seem to get hot at all. It just shuts instantly. And it's a Compaq Presario CQ57.
    Cheers, Tony

Instant shutdowns tend to be caused by a hardware fault. I have checked and your model isn't affected by the Nvidia defect issue that caused many laptops to fail. If it is shutting down without the battery plugged in there could be many causes. Overheating is an obvious one although you'd generally notice the base of the laptop becoming quite warm before it would shut down. I'm out of ideas here :(

Nick

OK, Nick and thanks anyway. I might just give it a gentle blow through the vents underneath (with a very low pressure air-line) in case it's getting a restricted airflow around the fan from dust etc.

I'd re-seat the memory too Tony

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Click Start
    Right-Click Computer
    Click Manage
    Click the [+] symbol next to Event Viewer
    Click the [+] symbol next to Windows Logs
    Click on System, and check the time around the system shut off, for any Warning (yellow exclamation mark), Error (Red exclamation mark), or Critical (a white X).
    Let us know what they are.
    Also look at the other logs, mainly Application, to see if there any messages around the same time.

The alerts, or lack thereof, are usually helpful.

Great idea! Re-set the memory....I'll do that.
    Thanks.
    PS: Er....How do I reset the memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Great idea! Re-set the memory....I'll do that.
    Thanks.
    PS: Er....How do I reset the memory?

Re-seat, not re-set. Take it out of the socket and replace.

Is the power lead connection OK?

LOL ! Not being a tekkie, I thought 're-seat' was a typo, and rather than emphasise your error by re-typing it, I thought I'd do the decent thing and just discreetly amend it. Ha! Pardon me whilst I wipe this egg from my face. And re-seat myself in this chair.

So does unplugging the memory involve un-screwing the back of the laptop etc?
    I can do that no problem, I just want to confirm that's what I have to do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Usually an access panel a couple of inches wide, secured by 1 or 2 small posidrive screws. Check youtube for your model. RAM modules are easy to remove, a little clip either side needs gently pushing outwards a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Turn off laptop, take out battery, take out power cord, press the on button a few times to ensure there's no charge left.

Oh, and then touch a wooden table to earth yourself, and then;

Except instead of new RAM, just put the RAM you took out back in. Ensure you have both sticks (if more than one sticks) of RAM out, before you put them back in.

• Advertisement

This plan looks really interesting! I'll get organised today and do the deed. Update to follow, thanks and Happy Easter!

Advertisement