Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm thinking of getting the automated top up on my leap-card.
    Does the 'auto top up' have to be loaded onto the card at a luas stop or dart, like the online top ups or does the credit just automatically go onto your Leap?

I'm sure it's been answered somewhere, but this is a mighty long thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Posy wrote: »
    Does the 'auto top up' have to be loaded onto the card at a luas stop or dart, like the online top ups or does the credit just automatically go onto your Leap?

I'm sure it's been answered somewhere, but this is a mighty long thread!

Posy,unusually in this case,the Auto Top-Up is the easiest to load....what happens is that once your purse falls below the "Trigger" amount,it automatically raises your direct-debit in favour of Leapcard.

Since you've pre-authorised the transaction,the amount is already known and the card credits itself,if you get my drift.

The secret is in having the DD already set up.

The only problems will occur when a DD is rejected for insufficient funds or whatever....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Posy,unusually in this case,the Auto Top-Up is the easiest to load....what happens is that once your purse falls below the "Trigger" amount,it automatically raises your direct-debit in favour of Leapcard.

Since you've pre-authorised the transaction,the amount is already known and the card credits itself,if you get my drift.

The secret is in having the DD already set up.

The only problems will occur when a DD is rejected for insufficient funds or whatever....;)

You get an email a couple of days after each auto topup informing you of the date that the direct debit will withdrawn from your account. In fairness it is one aspect of leap that is pretty slick.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Thanks, folks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Posy wrote: »
    If I'm correct, there is a procedure to follow first time (I got it more than a year ago and at the time I think it had to be collected at Payzone or a rail stop) - to activate the auto top-up system on the card. After that, you never have to do anything special.
    bg07 wrote: »
    You get an email a couple of days after each auto topup informing you of the date that the direct debit will withdrawn from your account. In fairness it is one aspect of leap that is pretty slick.
    That's my feature. :) That they would have had to implement for SEPA anyway. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Hi folks.

having got my auto top working on 2 Leap cards successfully I now have another query for you knowledgeable people.

if I set up auto top up on a LEAP enabled student travel card then when the card expires (usually every year) does the auto top up continue on the new card or is it necessary to reapply for it. I know tickets can transfer over but not sure about the auto top up..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No, it has to be done per card.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭T-wolf

lxflyer wrote: »
    It does sound like the ticket hasn't been loaded to be honest.
    T-wolf wrote: »
    Well, after multiple phone calls during the day, I'm agreeing with the 'failure to communicate' statement.

To sum up:
    1) Ticket ordered 12th May, processed 13th, and the Taxsaver online system shows thats all OK
    2a) Capped Leap card support - they don't see any pending Taxsaver tickets waiting to load on to my card.
    2b) Interestingly, they regard the Taxsaver as a different product, and they didn't seem sure if they could see if one was waiting for loading.
    3) The suggested remedy from Leap Support - wait 48 hours and try again. (Gee thanks guys)
    4) All attempts to contact DB Taxsaver support are going to vmail..

I has to admit - it's not exactly confidence inspiring is it? Plus there is way too many places to call to track down stuff like this.

I'm beginning to think the same here - that in my case (and i suspect others) that something has gone wrong.

I've figured out the Leap cards show you - on the Luas TVM screens, whats loaded on the card.
    Went to a Payzone this lunch - had a good chat with the lady behind the counter, she showed me the terminal screen and all. So - Balance inquiry run, which is all thats needed to upload the new ticket I'm told.
    Hiked back across the industrial estate, dropped card into the Luas TVM - still only shows one ticket loaded, Bus+Luas, expiring on Saturday.
    Called DB Taxsaver, and they said the ticket can take 24 hours to show up on the card. The implication was 24 hours after it was transferred to the card - but that makes no sense? Surely after its on the card, its there and just pending?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

Called DB Taxsaver, and they said the ticket can take 24 hours to show up on the card. The implication was 24 hours after it was transferred to the card - but that makes no sense? Surely after its on the card, its there and just pending?

That makes no sense to me. They probably meant that it takes 24 hours to get delivered to the network after they submit it.

markpb wrote: »
    That makes no sense to me. They probably meant that it takes 24 hours to get delivered to the network after they submit it.

Actually - just had another phone call from DB Support
    Apparent;y - the 24 hour wait period is after you do a balance check on your card. The network is then updated, and your card will work as normal the next month. Nothing is actually transferred to the card
    (No - it makes no sense to me either!!)

Um - I guess I'll have to wait and see - but it is interesting that my leap card account is still not showing any new ticket - as seen here h ttp://tinypic.com/r/99dkm0/8

I'll check it again tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Nothing is actually transferred to the card

That's not how the leap card works. Everything you use with it, has to be on the card. Whether it's travel credit or tickets.

That's not how the leap card works. Everything you use with it, has to be on the card. Whether it's travel credit or tickets.

Yeah - that's why I'm skeptical (puting it mildly!!) - the ticket is essentially an encrypted token stored on the card. so hows it renewed for the next period? Something has to be rewritten to the card you'd assume.
    But from the conversation I had with Leap support - the balance enquiry tells the network the card is alive. The network then noted that the 'Encrypted token' on your card is valid for the next period.

I guess they then push that out to all the readers? (Can't see this upscaling very well as Leap gets used more around the country!!)

Wouldnt work like that. Would be too much on the validators to check for your card.

Your card should get a ticket on it for next month. I dont know how its sent for dublin bus, but with luas an irish rail, you'll receive it like a topup while tagging on/off when its available.

Edit;
    Ya know what, I think that 24hr thing mentioned is just a reference to the transactions updating overnight.

Wouldnt work like that. Would be too much on the validators to check for your card.

Your card should get a ticket on it for next month. I dont know how its sent for dublin bus, but with luas an irish rail, you'll receive it like a topup while tagging on/off when its available.

Edit;
    Ya know what, I think that 24hr thing mentioned is just a reference to the transactions updating overnight.

Possibly. Sit back and wait until Tuesday and see what happens I guess.
    It's annoying, it's a DB+Luas ticket, so you should be able to collect it on the Luas TVM.. You'd think!
    Somehow it is not a surprise to know DB have to be different... :-)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

http://www.transportforireland.ie/cheaper-leap-fares-16-17-18-year-olds/

Child Fares been extended for 16,17,18 year olds from August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Brilliant news, always found it odd that as soon as you turn 16 you have pay more than yesterday even when you didn't leave school, start a job or anything. The only worrying thing is that this seems to be on a new 15-18 leap card, whereas most 15 to 18 year olds would have their own student travel card, so it's going to be interesting to see what they go with; hopefully they can be on the same card as the student travelcard

Brilliant news, always found it odd that as soon as you turn 16 you have pay more than yesterday even when you didn't leave school, start a job or anything. The only worrying thing is that this seems to be on a new 15-18 leap card, whereas most 15 to 18 year olds would have their own student travel card, so it's going to be interesting to see what they go with; hopefully they can be on the same card as the student travelcard

I am not sure if most 15 to 18 year olds would have their own student travel card. They typically get it when they go to 3rd level as its easy to walk into the college bookshop, students union or other college location.. Getting it in 2nd level involves form filling, school stamps, photos, posting off ect. In my experience most 2nd level kids use child/scholar cards and hope they wont be asked for the ID they are supposed to have with it..

My own 6th year child did get a travel card and it had the integrated LEAP.

I don't actually live in Dublin but I have one and so do a couple of others in our school, the price of a return to Dublin is like 16 euro cheaper with one I think so everyone has it for Irish Rail. Also every student who would be using a period pass proper for their age in Dublin would be using one; I had to get one for student rablers even before the rambler was on the leap card. So I'd say there's a fair amount of people who pay 15 euro for a leap card according to their age so it would be great if they could acknowledge that.

I don't actually live in Dublin but I have one and so do a couple of others in our school, the price of a return to Dublin is like 16 euro cheaper with one I think so everyone has it for Irish Rail. Also every student who would be using a period pass proper for their age in Dublin would be using one; I had to get one for
    astudent rablers even before the rambler was on the leap card. So I'd say
    there's a fair amount of people who pay 15 euro for a leap card according to their age so it would be great if they could acknowledge that.

good point. I forgot there was a public transport world outside Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Just to be clear about this, these changes only apply to:

1) Dublin Bus
    2) LUAS
    3) Irish Rail Short Hop Zone in the Greater Dublin Area (Balbriggan/Howth-Kilcoole-Maynooth/M3 Parkway and Heuston-Hazelhatch)
    4) Bus Eireann city services in Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford

People making longer Intercity trips will retain their current fares.

• Advertisement

Exactly, so the student travel cards will still be in circulation and use, which is why they should really keep the 15-18 as a student travel card, otherwise things will get too fragmented

Exactly, so the student travel cards will still be in circulation and use, which is why they should really keep the 15-18 as a student travel card, otherwise things will get too fragmented

Well not for city services - the whole point is to mean that the vast majority of children aged 16-18 that are still going to school will be able to pay schoolchild fares.

Travelling long distance is a different matter, for which the student card remains an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

devnull wrote: »
    http://www.transportforireland.ie/cheaper-leap-fares-16-17-18-year-olds/

Child Fares been extended for 16,17,18 year olds from August.

Good news, I hope, as is the extension of Leap.

In Galway City the level of car dependence is staggering. Hopefully this may encourage some degree of modal switch to public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Bumblebee Man

Has the negative balance facility been removed from the card? Me and my girlfriend tried to get onto a bus there. We both have our own leapcard. I checked the balance on each card beforehand and they €3.05 and €2.85 resprespectively. We got dublin bus into town and paid €2.15 each.

Many times before I've gotten on the bus with less money than is on the card. I got in and told the driver my destination. My balance came up as €0.90 as expected and he hit the button and then said, "you've no money on it". The same happened with my girlfriend's card on a balance of €0.70. I tried to explain to the driver that it should go into negative but he wasn't interested in it. My balance online still hasn't updated since this morning sp unable to check if we've been charged as he tried to charge us and then wouldn't let us on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

This post has been deleted.

Some driver don't know the correct fares either. Registered a card online that I have been using the last month or so. My regular journey is 3 stages and should cost €1.45. On review the history of my card, I have been overcharged on 40% of my journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

As a driver our trainning wasn't great and didn't show different situations.

The machines are so old and slow its actually embarrassing as we have passengers looking at us like we are slow.

I find it a lot easier when a passenger says destination and fare price as we have to update machine as we go along counter in trying to concentrate on the road, passenger questions and just watching literally everything its not an easy job and that's been honest.

I along with the rest of the human race make mistakes and usually actually charge passengers less then more on fare they should be paying.

When you are paying you are meant to state destination and this has always been the case and I do get the odd aggressive fool having a go for just asking where to. This is what we are dealing with.

Improvements are needed and 1 should be tag on/off like dart, train and luas.
    Speed up card reading times like oyster over the water.
    Simplify fare structure.
    Bus equipment should be able to accept notes even where refund still on paper ticket form.
    Better customer publicity of how to use cards.
    Better staff trainning.
    Much better management willing to actually do anything to improve the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Some driver don't know the correct fares either. Registered a card online that I have been using the last month or so. My regular journey is 3 stages and should cost €1.45. On review the history of my card, I have been overcharged on 40% of my journeys.

The Company decided for some reason to remove ALL Stage Identification marks many years ago.

Once that decision was made and implimented,the operation of a Fare-Stage system immediately became impossible,and I contend that remains the case today.

If you really wish to be certain as to the correct fare then use the "Fare Calculator" app of the Dublin Bus website.
    This allows a customer to identify the correct fare for a journey between ANY two stops on the BAC system
    It also allows those interested to cross reference the Stage Number with the actual Bus-Stop Number thereby removing any doubt...yes ?
    Well....kinda....because in some cases the Net Based Stage location does not coincide with the Stage Location as identified(usually ambiguously) on the printed timetable sheet.

Reinstate the On Street Stage Markings and the problem is 100% resolved for Customer and Staff alike.

Mind you,It would be of enormous help if it had not been allowed to happen in the first place...:o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Bumblebee Man

I just checked there and we were both charged for the journey and not allowed on the bus. We're also down cash as well as we had to get change so we ended up paying 2X€2.15(leap) and 2X€2.60(cash) for us to get home.

• Advertisement

Get in touch with the Leap card help desk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement