Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

For all the new pad players

18385.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Placebo wrote: »
    damn those 3D games did well, i remember hating them.
    Didnt midway go bankrupt at some stage too?

I really enjoyed Deception, but MK is just better in 2D (like SF).

Midway went belly up shortly after MK vs DC was released in late 2008, even though that game sold really well. They were gonna release Kung Lao and Doomsday as DLC, but money was a problem.

Loving this new MK though, hope it gets a few decent tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Rob2D wrote: »
    That 'focus' thing the bosses do is annoying as all hell. Getting hammered (literally) by Shaokahn at the moment and I might as well be idle as trying to land any combos.

Wait, scratch that. I just discovered the low fireball loop. I do love it when I beat AI at being cheap.

I was getting beaten around by him for a good bit yesterday too until I noticed that. He blocked most of my shots so both rounds went down to single digits on the timer. 3 minutes of solid fireballs. My housemate was so sickened he left the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Anyone on for a bout gt is raze them all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

can anyone list the story mode unlockables?
    is it just cyber subzero and quinchi [spelling]
    How does one get the classic reptile/subzero/scorpian costumes? DLC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Yeah it is only them two characters!
    Pre order bonus from different shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 stillframe

can anyone list the story mode unlockables?
    is it just cyber subzero and quinchi [spelling]
    How does one get the classic reptile/subzero/scorpian costumes? DLC?

You can get costumes in the crypt by selecting the right dead dudes :)
    But i dunno if theyre the classic ones you're talking about. Heres the list of all the unlockables anyways

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/711929/mortal-kombat-the-krypt-walkthrough-guide-to-unlocking-fatalities-and-alternate-costumes/

stillframe wrote: »
    You can get costumes in the crypt by selecting the right dead dudes :)
    But i dunno if theyre the classic ones you're talking about. Heres the list of all the unlockables anyways

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/711929/mortal-kombat-the-krypt-walkthrough-guide-to-unlocking-fatalities-and-alternate-costumes/

ALSO
    goro fatality = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqjHjgvXp24&feature=related
    kintaro fat = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0f0ESrcpDE&feature=watch_response

i know 1 of them is supposed to be DLC, but wheres the other coming from?
    would love to see motaro

Yar, them classic fatality and costumes can only be gotten as DLC - currently only released as Pre-Order bonuses

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Johnick

MK9 is now part of Wednesday Night Fights, Aris (top US tekken player) and Alex Valle seem to have picked it up.

• Advertisement

seriously loving STORY MODE.
    the STRIKER chapter is so ****ing cool, that stage in the city fighting kintaro is amazing and they show how kabal is made, its really piecing all the questions i had in my head back in the day. Every piece fits in, really really well done !

Graphics in the subway stage are unreal

You're forgetting the best part of that chapter, Placebo :
    When Raiden blows Motaro though a bridge. So ****ing badass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I almost spit out my beer last night when we were playing this and the toasty guy appeared. Classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Mickles_86 wrote: »
    Lol, yeah smoke is annoying too but his combos aren't great, thank god they removed his spear throw :P

Until you get the hidden Smoke battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 stillframe

Loving this game so far for its fun and cool factor! Think it is lacking a bit in its tactical aspects like compared to SF, watching alex completely mauling people by spamming combos forever that are seriously hard to block. But i dont care much about that id rather play SF for serious and tournaments and stuff but play MK with friends for fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mickles_86

Has anyone else played this on 3D?

The graphics on 2D alone are unreal but in 3D it just takes the piss.lol. Khans Koliseum stage feels like your actually there, everything is jumping out at you. Hell, Subway and Rooftop stages are quality as well.

Only thing that annoys me about this game (Apart from online) is when you exit the movelist and then go back in you have to scroll the whole way down to where you previously were.:mad:

The graphics on 2D alone are unreal but in 3D it just takes the piss.lol. Khans Koliseum stage feels like your actually there, everything is jumping out at you. Hell, Subway and Rooftop stages are quality as well.

Start throwing some of Kung Lao's hats! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mickles_86

Sairus wrote: »
    Start throwing some of Kung Lao's hats! :D

Yeah wen they r blocked they fly at the screen....brilliant!! :eek:

A couple of interesting videos:

Firstly, WorstGiefEver goes through some of the non-gameplay issues he's had with the games and recommends should be changed. All very good points - I haven't gone into training yet, but these seem like very annoying issues.

Secondly, Scarlet (one of the DLC characters) has been hacked into playability from the disk. Prior to hacking you could see her hanging in chains in the stage where Shao Khan judges the tournament in story mode.
    She is apparently very unfinished though and does not have any special moves.

Speaking of DLC, anyone planning on picking up any of the three forthcoming characters? Scarlet, Kintaro and Kenshi.

Also, what's with MK's fascination with characters starting with K and S?
    Kabal, Kano, Kenshi, Kitana, Kintaro, Kung Lao.
    Scarlet, Scorpion, Sektor, Shang Tsung, Sheeva, Sindel, Smoke, Sonya Blade, Stryker, Sub Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Also, the game forgetting my controller presets every time I turn it on is starting to get annoying.

Are you keeping your save on USB? The game doesn't take that into account at all and just fires you into a fresh save on the hard drive, you have to go into options and manually select storage device and suddenly it hasn't deleted your settings (and progress).

It also puts some other related files onto the hard drive anyway - pain in the arse.

• Advertisement

Are you keeping your save on USB? The game doesn't take that into account at all and just fires you into a fresh save on the hard drive, you have to go into options and manually select storage device and suddenly it hasn't deleted your settings (and progress).

It also puts some other related files onto the hard drive anyway - pain in the arse.

I dont know what was up with my buttons before, but they're grand now. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Has anyone else played this on 3D?

Only thing that annoys me about this game (Apart from online) is when you exit the movelist and then go back in you have to scroll the whole way down to where you previously were.:mad:

you can play it in 3d? :eek: do i need a 3d tele?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Speaking of DLC, anyone planning on picking up any of the three forthcoming characters? Scarlet, Kintaro and Kenshi.

I'd be interested in Scarlett and Kenshi alright. Could care less about Kintaro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I bought MK9 on amazon, should be arriving soon

not too fly on scarlet, especially considering her back story.
    Hope kintaro is balanced [relative to the game]. SLOW that bastard down.

i think we have everyone
    Mkt_select.png
    except Rain? before id be skeptical of adding in more of the 'similar' looking players, but with the work put into each for this installement, its just left me speechless, i.e ERMAC and NOOB SAIBOT etc they are all so very unique,
    character designs are truly amazing, the taunts and stances !
    So with that, i wouldnt mind Rain,

never heard of some of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mortal_Kombat_characters

Motaro would be cool to play against, not so much, to play as

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Would love to see someone's reaction to the sudden appearance of Mr Smiley in 3d. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

They need to patch the hell out of the button config problem.

Was watching a stream the other night where they were fiddling around with buttons for a good 10-15 minutes.

is it tournament viable?
    i cant tell myself as im just playing for the 1 PLAYER FUN, which is extremely fun.
    also sindel is hot.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

is it tournament viable?
    i cant tell myself as im just playing for the 1 PLAYER FUN, which is extremely fun.
    also sindel is hot.

I can't really tell.

Alot of the matches just seemed to come down to who's special landed first tbh, but it's a new game and might not be indicative.

The situation with the button config and training mode is ridiculous though and would indicate they actually didn't care about tournament viability too much. (or didn't understand why these things would be important for tournaments).

Not being able to set buttons in game other than presets could easily delay a tournament badly. It means you have to leave the vs session, go to main menu, set buttons, return to game and check, and rinse and repeat til correct.

This actually lead to 10 minutes of nothing on the stream.

In the training room apparently there's issues with recording moves which mean it's impossible to check punishability of moves.

That's all in worstgiefever's vid.

• Advertisement

yeah i saw those, i dont think the button thing makes a difference if the game turns out to be gimmicky all around. Theres obvious frame advantages on some blocked moves but how accurate these are for some of the more 'grey area moves' [+1 frame only] , time will tell.

The training aspect is ridiculous. I suppose they can patch a lot of it but if the game was not designed to be accurate then patches wont help.

Advertisement