Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning on giving up, told about DIY site, what do i buy?

• 20-03-2013 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Sorry if i'm in the wrong area, or if this site is in the wrong area. I honestly haven't a clue what i'm looking at, and hoping somebody here can help me..

I've been moaning about giving up for a while now. I smoke heavily when i'm out, but not so much (Very little) when i'm sitting home or working. But again heavy when i'm in my workroom/shed.

Someone told me about this site - http://www.inaweraflavours.com/en/
    Specifically this link - http://www.inaweraflavours.com/en/10-liquid-nicotine-pg-based

He said it is good prices, and i could "Make my own..."

My confusion starts there... Make my own what?

What am i supposed to do with these liquids? :o
    He gave me the link from the bottom of a print out, and said to go there. I have, and have not a clue what to buy.
    I can't see any e-cigarettes or anything to smoke. Am i supposed to?

- I think he said something about Apple for marlboro lights.. i see Apple flavour, but... so what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,043 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you thought about giving up smoking altogether, Champix has worked for a lot of people, big support thread on it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055458413&page=48 , I'm off smokes 12mts next month, can't praise Champix enough. It's worked for a lot of my friends as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Don't start making your own juice until you're already vaping a while and understand what you're doing, full-stop.

A kit that you only use occasionally with juice you use occasionally will still be cheaper over time than smoking if you smoke pre-rolled fags.

No idea why anyone would guide a smoker who hasn't yet quit towards DIY juice.
    Have you thought about giving up smoking altogether, Champix has worked for a lot of people, big support thread on it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055458413&page=48 , I'm off smokes 12mts next month, can't praise Champix enough. It's worked for a lot of my friends as well.
    Vaping is giving up smoking altogether as long as they stay vaping.
    Champix has caused a lot of people to kill themselves, depression in a lot of others, and has a dismal success rate to boot...
    What's with the Giving Up Smoking invasion today?

I can see why we'd invade that forum (makes sense as this is the easiest most likely way to stop smoking, and we don't do it often at all), but people coming in here recommending methods that are LESS likely to help the smoker?

Are these posts that've been moved from the G.U.S. forum? Might explain it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Going to read that now. I have been waking with a bit of a heavy chest, as i smoke mostly late at night. :(
    grindle wrote: »
    Don't start making your own juice until you're already vaping a while and understand what you're doing, full-stop.
    A kit that you only use occasionally with juice you use occasionally will still be cheaper over time than smoking if you smoke pre-rolled fags.
    No idea why anyone would guide a smoker who hasn't yet quit towards DIY juice.
    Champix has caused a lot of people to kill themselves, depression in a lot of others, and has a dismal success rate to boot...
    I can see why we'd invade that forum (makes sense as this is the easiest most likely way to stop smoking, and we don't do it often at all), but people coming in here recommending methods that are LESS likely to help the smoker?
    Are these posts that've been moved from the G.U.S. forum? Might explain it I suppose.

No, i posted this here. As i assumed it had something to do with giving up, and e-smoking..
    But i don't have a clue what it is. I was looking through that site for about 20 minutes - half an hour. My head was throbbing thinking i was missing something, so decided to post here to find out..

Thankfully i did, 'coz i'm about to read about Champix and see if it's what i am looking for.. :)

EDIT:

WHAT?? :eek: For real?

Feck that. Is that true?

Allyall wrote: »
    No, i posted this here. As i assumed it had something to do with giving up, and e-smoking..
    But i don't have a clue what it is. I was looking through that site for about 20 minutes - half an hour. My head was throbbing thinking i was missing something, so decided to post here to find out..

If it is, good for you. You'll be one of a rare few.
    What you're looking for with ecigs is a battery, an atomiser to vapourise the juice, and some juice.

This kit has everything you need to start, is much cheaper than Champix (ZERO suicides - imagine that!) and if you vape as little as you smoke your juice costs will be much lower than your smoking costs.

Ahh, it's the giving up smoking forum ;)

I think OP should just cut to the case and stop smoking completely. It works for nearly 50% of people and there's great support here on boards.

• Advertisement

Feck that. Is that true?

That's bollix. Don't mind him, ask the people who don't smoke any more in that thread. The Vaping thread, is about keeping you smoking, champix one is about stopping you smoking altogether.

If it is, good for you. You'll be one of a rare few.
    What you're looking for with ecigs is a battery, an atomiser to vapourise the juice, and some juice.

This kit has everything you need to start, is much cheaper than Champix (ZERO suicides - imagine that!) and if you vape as little as you smoke your juice costs will be much lower than your smoking costs.

One of the rare few what?

A-HA!! - That site looks more like what i'm looking for! Thanks.

How long does that kit last? - For a 20ish a day smoker? Should i buy extra cartridges or anything?
    That's bollix. Don't mind him, ask the people who don't smoke any more in that thread. The Vaping thread, is about keeping you smoking, champix one is about stopping you smoking altogether.

Getting a little confused now.
    I think i'll look a little further into Champix, as i'd be stupid to ignore that, true or not.. It's a bit scary. I do plan on giving up, but for now i just want to remove some of the heaviness on my chest. If i can do that and still smoke when out, then maybe that's would suit me better..

Feck that. Is that true?

Google Champix or Chantrix class action.
    Ahh, it's the giving up smoking forum ;)

I think OP should just cut to the case and stop smoking completely. It works for nearly 50% of people and there's great support here on boards.

Chantix/Champix success rate is 44% @ 9-12 weeks, 22% @ 1 year and 10-14% @ 2 years.
    Guess what happens @ 2 years? 86-90% of people are smoking again.
    Woohoo! Success!

Vaping is stopping smoking completely. If you don't smoke, you have stopped smoking.

I think i'll go for the kit. - For now anyway.

Should i buy any extra cartridges or anything? Or do they last a decent amount of time?

I am kind of a habitual smoker. I smoke mostly in the same places, and one has become my shed/workroom and it's there i smoke heavily in front of the PC. Without even noticing i could have had 5 in 40 minutes.. :mad: (Then find myself leaving, purely so i stop smoking).

So if i could swap that for an e-cigarette i'd be laughing.
    Google Champix or Chantrix class action.

Just did.. :eek: I'll skip that for now..

Vaping is stopping smoking completely. If you don't smoke, you have stopped smoking.

If you've for a fag looking object hanging out of your mouth and your pulling on it, your smoking. You need to break the habit of smoking to fully not smoke.

I've not seen one friend succeed by vaping, yet i've seen 9 friends succeed with champix and 2 of them are pharmacists who know a bit about drugs and side effects, 4 of them are over a year off smoking, 4 just about to hit a year off them, One 4 weeks off them one 2 days off them and 1 failure.

I don't believe your stats and you shouldn't really be pulling out points like they will kill op, he's trying to stop smoking and simply dismissing Champix as some kind of murder drug is not fair on him or anyone that it's helped.

There's nobody dead on boards yet from them or Ireland.

• Advertisement

I think i'll go for the kit. - For now anyway.

Should i buy any extra cartridges or anything? Or do they last a decent amount of time?

I am kind of a habitual smoker. I smoke mostly in the same places, and one has become my shed/workroom and it's there i smoke heavily in front of the PC. Without even noticing i could have had 5 in 40 minutes.. :mad: (Then find myself leaving, purely so i stop smoking).

So if i could swap that for an e-cigarette i'd be laughing.

The atomiser it comes with are called clearomisers or clearos for short. They have replaceable heads that you screw into the inside of them, like these.

If you choose that value kit, when you're buying replacement heads in future make sure to buy the 1.5-17ohm head n the drop down menu.
    The heads last anywhere from 3-4 days to 1-2 weeks depending on how often you vape and with what juice (sugary juices and dark juices clog the coil quicker).
    The tank part can just be washed out, dried and used again.
    The batteries are rechargeable & the two will last you a full day before needing another charge easily unless you're on a drinking binge for a full day.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

That'll last you long enough to figure out what questions you really need to come back and ask us next. Personally I'd just order that, try it out. Then come back and talk to us again. You'll know a lot more than you do now if you buy and try this kit out. You'll be in a much better position to ask what should you get / what do you need next.

Just make sure to choose three flavours from this page and write in the 'comments' when you check out what flavours you want and what nicotine strength.

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/category-s/1818.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=1818&show=100&page=1

They're all kinda sweet. The RY-C9 and Strawberry Milkshake I like. There are no eliquids that taste really really like tobacco. I've heard some people talk highly of 'The USA Mix' as being similar to tobacco but flavour doesn't come with this starter pack linked above.

If you've for a fag looking object hanging out of your mouth and your pulling on it, your smoking. You need to break the habit of smoking to fully not smoke.
    No. If there's no smoke, it's not smoking. You're a troll.
    I'd have to break the habit of vaping to fully not vape: I don't smoke and I reap the benefits of that.
    Funny you say that about your friends, the ones I have that've tried to quit tried EVERYTHING to quit. Only vaping has worked (for all of them). Strange world.

No. If there's no smoke, it's not smoking. You're a troll.
    I'd have to break the habit of vaping to fully not vape: I don't smoke and I reap the benefits of that.
    Funny you say that about your friends, the ones I have that've tried to quit tried EVERYTHING to quit. Only vaping has worked (for all of them). Strange world.

Go jump with your name calling, this is a giving up smoking forum, I just gave a recommendation that a lot of boarde's would agree with and you told OP it would kill him, vested interest troll yourself.

How many dead friends have you that used champix, what a bull **** statement to come out to someone who wants to stop smoking you should be ashamed of yourself.

Okay, thanks to for the advice. I think i'm going to look more into champix before i go that route.

I am going to buy the starter kit now. with 2 extra clearomizers?

Apple, Honeywood Tobacco, or strawberry and wing nut nut juice, i think are the flavours i'm going to go for (Unless anyone recommends another for a marlboro light smoker?)

How do i choose the nicotine strength for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

but...but... by vaping, and by the very fact of us vaping we're not smoking.

do you even understand the difference - or are you just a sales rep for champix? :confused:

Allyall just before you spend your money, look again at the last post in the Champix thread

"Wow - not quite sure how we've done it but its four weeks tomorrow and neither of us has touched a cigarette. There's been some hairy moments and a few cravings but its been a lot easier than I imagined it would be. The champix has REALLY helped. And there are no noticeable side effects at this stage. I really hope we've cracked it this time. Will check back in here when we've finished the course. It's well worth the initial outlay. We've still saved nearly €300 in the first month."

I really feel you've been wronged by the other poster and his threat of death if you take champix.
    When you see the extra money in your pocket from not smoking it's another incentive, you won't see that with Vaping and you won't have broken the habit if inhaling for a fix.

Look what ever you do, I hope you eventually get to a point where you don't need nicotine.

artyeva wrote: »
    but...but... by vaping, and by the very fact of us vaping we're not smoking.

do you even understand the difference - or are you just a sales rep for champix? :confused:

I know what your getting at, but i've known vaping for years it just seem to have caught on in the last few years as a cigarette substitute, i'd still class it as a forum of smoking.
    Can you not see how it would be best to neither smoke or vape. That is the ideal.

If Vaping is a cure for smoking. What's the cure for Vaping?

Allyall just before you spend your money, look again at the last post in the Champix thread

"Wow - not quite sure how we've done it but its four weeks tomorrow and neither of us has touched a cigarette. There's been some hairy moments and a few cravings but its been a lot easier than I imagined it would be. The champix has REALLY helped. And there are no noticeable side effects at this stage. I really hope we've cracked it this time. Will check back in here when we've finished the course. It's well worth the initial outlay. We've still saved nearly €300 in the first month."

I really feel you've been wronged by the other poster and his threat of death if you take champix.
    When you see the extra money in your pocket from not smoking it's another incentive, you won't see that with Vaping and you won't have broken the habit if inhaling for a fix.

Look what ever you do, I hope you eventually get to a point where you don't need nicotine.

Thanks. I'm going to look at Champix, but for now i'll skip it.. I get scary enough hangovers.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I know what your getting at, but i've known vaping for years it just seem to have caught on in the last few years as a cigarette substitute, i'd still class it as a forum of smoking.
    Can you not see how it would be best to neither smoke of vape. That is the ideal.

Smoking is inhaling a smoke containing nicotine, carbon, tar and countless other goodies.
    Vaping is inhaling a vapour containing nicotine and elements that are commonly used in things such as bottled water and food.

Some people enjoy inhaling things, such is life.
    If Vaping is a cure for smoking. What's the cure for Vaping?

Is a cure really needed?

• Advertisement

Can you not see how it would be best to neither smoke of vape. That is the ideal.

you'd class it as a form of smoking? the laws of chemistry, physics and common sense prove otherwise. ;)

Go jump with your name calling, this is a giving up smoking forum, I just gave a recommendation that a lot of boarde's would agree with and you told OP it would kill him, vested interest troll yourself.

How many dead friends have you that used champix, what a bull **** statement to come out to someone who wants to stop smoking you should be ashamed of yourself.

I didn't say it would kill them, don't be disingenuous. I said it has killed people. Pfizer aren't dishing out settlements for the lulz.

I have no dead friends from Champix. I have no idea how that relates to the absolute fact that Champix has caused suicidal thoughts, dissociation from reality and death.

You're insistence that people who're using an alternative to smoking are still smoking despite zero smoke involved is the genuine shame.
    I presume you're against cancer?
    Cancer caused by smoking?
    Not nicotine?
    Nicotine which is considered no more harmful than caffeine?

Thanks. I'm going to look at Champix, but for now i'll skip it.. I get scary enough hangovers.. :rolleyes:

You could get some pretty fcuked up dreams in the first 14 days, I did, so did a few people I know and some got none at all. if you can just accept them as drug induced dreams and nothing more you'll laugh looking back at how mental they were.
    The dreams are the worst of it, get through them and your flying it, you won't be smoking anything in 14 days time. It's a 12 week course, you don't take them any longer than that but you have to finish the course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

drinkmonkey this is the vaping forum. While you are entitled to your opinion I would prefer if discussion on Champix be kept to the parent forum and not here. This is a forum for people who choose to vape as a substitute for smoking. The people here are aware that they maintain a nicotine adiction that is far less harmful than inhaling smoke and choose to do so. You are welcome to criticise vaping but do so with facts and links please rather than my uncle bob's drinking buddy says vaping is useless anecdotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

I tried nicorette gum, was on it for 6 months!! F*cked up my teeth because I was constantly chewing it. When I tried to quit gum I ended straight back on fags. I tried champix for 4 weeks, f*cked up my head, couldnt sleep, felt depressed, etc. Lasted 3 days after the 4 week coarse and I was back on the fags, maybe I have crap willpower but I have been vaping for over 14 months now and I have absolutely no urge for a fag. Thats my experience, take it how you will.

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Just make sure to choose three flavours from this page and write in the 'comments' when you check out what flavours you want and what nicotine strength.

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/category-s/1818.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=1818&show=100&page=1

I am going to get one 12mg and the other two 20mg.. As i'm not sure how strong 12mg is? If it's too weak, i'll be stuck with the three and still want a cigarette........?

So do i add the three i want to my basket? Or do i just add them at the checkout in the comments?

EDIT:
    When i go to view what's in my cart (I think it's a starter kit and 2 clearomizers so far) it just freezes on a loading page saying "Preparing your order."

Been stuck there for about a minute or two now, and the slider for loading hasn't moved.

I didn't say it would kill them, don't be disingenuous. I said it has killed people. Pfizer aren't dishing out settlements for the lulz.

I have no dead friends from Champix. I have no idea how that relates to the absolute fact that Champix has caused suicidal thoughts, dissociation from reality and death.

You're insistence that people who're using an alternative to smoking are still smoking despite zero smoke involved is the genuine shame.
    I presume you're against cancer?
    Cancer caused by smoking?
    Not nicotine?
    Nicotine which is considered no more harmful than caffeine?

Saying it killed people was enough to sow the seed to op that he too could be killed.

There can be crazy dreams for some people, I can 100% understand how people could find them disturbing if you took the dreams seriously. It's comparable to LSD in your dreams in the only way I can describe it.
    OP had got the horrors from booze, it's not really like that because you don't have the what the hell did I do feeling and the hangover.

The way I see it with cigarettes you're addicted to two major things and you need to brake them all before you could really consider yourself cured.
    1. Is the habit of smoking
    2. is the nicotine.

The way I see vaping your only moving from one habit to the other, what's the end game with Vaping whats the plan for OP? When will he be ready to brake the habit of Vaping? 9 weeks? 9 Years? How does he stop Vaping and not have any habit?

Get 20mg to start off. If it's too strong just vape it less and order lower next time.
    If you order low mg liquid to start there's a good chance you'll have the thing stapled to your face (like I did).
    I started on 11-16mg juices and went between 4/5mls a day. Now I'm on 24mg and vape 2-2.5ml a day.
    Suits me more as it matches the amount of time I had a rollie to my lips as a 10 a day smoker.

I am going to get one 12mg and the other two 20mg.. As i'm not sure how strong 12mg is? If it's too weak, i'll be stuck with the three and still want a cigarette........?

So do i add the three i want to my basket? Or do i just add them at the checkout in the comments?

you won't feel like you want a cigarette, you'll probably just vape a bit more often. i was a marlboro light smoker and i started on 24mg which was too high for me. i graduated down to 12mg for now and it's just right for me, your mileage may vary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Nicotine content is a strange way of working out how much to vape etc.

I suppose the easiest way to work it out would be to see the average nicotine content per smoked cigarette and multiply it by how many you would smoke in a day.

So say each cigarette contains 1mg of nicotine and you smoke 20 a day, that means you're used to 20mg of nicotine a day (give or take). So vaping 1ml of 20 mg e-liquid or 1.7ml of 12 mg e-liguid would give you (roughly) the same amount of nicotine a day as a 20 pack of smokes.

Advertisement