Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUSI and Student Contribution

• 08-07-2014 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I think I will qualify for the SUSI grant this year and I am wondering if they pay your student Contribution fee or is that left for me, the student? I appreciate all advice given.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes. Its generally paid by susi depending on what rate you are eligible for

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23 QueenieB

Glad to find this subject on Boards. I understand that SUSI will pay the contribution charge. My niece is concerned that she will have to pay the charge (in part or full) before she starts college, which would then be refunded by SUSI or the college at a later date. Can anyone confirm or clarify if this is the case or is it at the discretion of the college?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It depends on what you mean by contribution. Most colleges have a 1-2 hundred contribution fee that is paid by the student, Susi doesn't cover it. The 2,750 is all paid by Susi (grant depending) but the student wont have use of the facilities (library, gym, etc) until Susi has paid.

QueenieB wrote: »
    Glad to find this subject on Boards. I understand that SUSI will pay the contribution charge. My niece is concerned that she will have to pay the charge (in part or full) before she starts college, which would then be refunded by SUSI or the college at a later date. Can anyone confirm or clarify if this is the case or is it at the discretion of the college?
    Cheers

Its upto the College. Some demand payment. Some will wait for susi.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dhaironthat

Hey I'm also finding this subject a tad confusing so if susi pay the contribution fee do I pay the composite fee!?!? Or am I totally picking everything up wrong I think I've just killed myself with to much info and now I'm getting confused!!!!

• Advertisement

There are three fees

1 Tuition fees
    2 Student contribution fee
    3 College levy

1 This is free once you meet the requirements of the free fees scheme
    2 SUSI pay this once you are eligible for a grant.
    3 This depends on each college. Some will levy about 150 or 200 euro. Some wont. You pay it. Not the government or susi.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dhaironthat

So would someone qualify for the first 2? Or just one?

So would someone qualify for the first 2? Or just one?

You can qualify for neither or just 1 or both.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement