Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[SC] Is it true that Birds don't fly over Aushwitz ?

• 04-01-2012 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

I have heard that birds don't fly nor sing over Aushwitz.

I don't know how reliable this is and remain skeptical, surely there could be
    another scientific reason behind it IF it is true.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭TheLynx

funny-date-girl-guy-true-story-meme.jpg?w=261

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

TheLynx wrote: »
    funny-date-girl-guy-true-story-meme.jpg?w=261

?? anything else ?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Where did you hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Granted I've not been there, but it sounds like nonsense to me; why would birds care what's happened humans?

If there's any shred of truth it's probably because there are no trees within the compound. No trees, no cover. No cover, no birds. No birds, no singing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

kylith wrote: »
    Granted I've not been there, but it sounds like nonsense to me; why would birds care what's happened humans?

If there's any shred of truth it's probably because there are no trees within the compound. No trees, no cover. No cover, no birds. No birds, no singing.

There are plenty of trees in the immediate vicinity of the compound, and even large trees near block 11 from what I remember. This I'm afraid is utter nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I experienced this outside Dachau. I can't explain it and i'm not going to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

In 1971 I went to Belsen in Germany. We had to listen to a tape of the commanding officer who's men liberated the camp. I, and about 30 late teens and 20 somethings all had tears in our eyes listening to that tape. We then went into the camp and walked around for a while. Just mounds with a number on it, estimates of how many dead it contained. And remember, this was not an extermination camp, but they starved them to death.

There were birds around in the trees, this was about 25 years after liberation.. But the tape mentioned that there were no birds about when the camp was liberated. It was the stench of rotting courpes that kept them away. It also mentioned that you could smell the camp when flying overhead at 10,000 feet.

I met a local German who said that no one knew what was going on in the camp. Somehow, I didnt belive him.

As we were leaving the camp, a German army bus pulled up. Every on of those soldures was looking down at their boots as they walked into the camp. We were ordered not to make a sound. It was a walk of shame for those army lads.

So, yes, I belive what th OP says.

How could any person do such things to another human I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

mlumley wrote: »
    In 1971 I went to Belsen in Germany. We had to listen to a tape of the commanding officer who's men liberated the camp. I, and about 30 late teens and 20 somethings all had tears in our eyes listening to that tape. We then went into the camp and walked around for a while. Just mounds with a number on it, estimates of how many dead it contained. And remember, this was not an extermination camp, but they starved them to death.

There were birds around in the trees, this was about 25 years after liberation.. But the tape mentioned that there were no birds about when the camp was liberated. It was the stench of rotting courpes that kept them away. It also mentioned that you could smell the camp when flying overhead at 10,000 feet.

I met a local German who said that no ome knew what was going on in the camp. Somehow, I didnt belive him.

As we were leaving the camp, a German army bus pulled up. Every on of those soldures was looking down at their boots as they walked into the camp. We were ordered not to make a sound. It was a walk of shame for those army lads.

So, yes, I belive what th OP says.

How could any person do such things to another human I dont know.

Sorry but................ what?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Sorry but................ what?

But what, what? What are you quearying? That I agree with the OP. Or that I can not understand how the Germans could starve people to death?

I might make it clearer for you by saying that the what the OP heard, is probably just at the end of the war, birds wouldnt go near the place cos the stench. But they will be there now after so long.

Please elaberate on your queary.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

But what, what? What are you quearying? That I agree with the OP. Or that I can not understand how the Germans could starve people to death?

I might make it clearer for you by saying that the what the OP heard, is probably just at the end of the war, birds wouldnt go near the place cos the stench. But they will be there now after so long.

Please elaberate on your queary.

Well, you said you believed that birds didn't fly over Aushwitz but said yourself you saw birds there in 1971. That's where the confusion was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Untense

There were birds around in the trees, this was about 25 years after liberation.. But the tape mentioned that there were no birds about when the camp was liberated. It was the stench of rotting courpes that kept them away.

Explains both that birds are seen around the camp, and also explains how the myth might have formed in the first place.
    I experienced this outside Dachau. I can't explain it and i'm not going to try.

It's logical to assume that sometimes there just aren't any birds around. I can sometimes look around outside and spot none. If I was only here briefly and someone told me there were no birds around since 1945 for mysterious reasons, and if at that moment there were no birds visible, I would be inclined to make this affirm the myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Some people do mad some people don't see birds. If you are out and about and you don't see birds you don't even notice it but in auswitzc you do and it is attributed to the myth. There are lots of people online saying that they did see birds on the grounds of the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

keith16 wrote: »
    There are plenty of trees in the immediate vicinity of the compound, and even large trees near block 11 from what I remember. This I'm afraid is utter nonsense.

As I said, I've never been there, and it's hard to make out any trees in online photos, do I was working on a best guess from the info I had available.

Anyway since people do see birds there the OP's first post is moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I have been there and saw loads of birds. Took pictures of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

I was on a tour of Dachau and the guide said the same. Never saw a single bird for the entire day I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I'll just leave this here

4041120.bin?size=620x400s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gc1971

keith16 wrote: »

keith16 is right. There are loads of trees especially near the memorial. Our driver drove us there before bringing us to the main entrance. There are birds. It's just a stupid urban myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

I was on a tour of Dachau and the guide said the same. Never saw a single bird for the entire day I was there.

so was I, loads of birds about, again nature doesnt know, or care about what we did 60 years ago in germany, complete nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Sparkyd2002

Auschwitz19.JPG

Have been there and have loads of photos. Funnily enough most of them are birdless! That said i do remember lost of birds around the original gas chamber. Photo attached - so yes its a myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Allround Predator

the_monkey wrote: »

Part of what your saying is true, but that was only during the war when the camp was still in full operation , the smell of death and also the smell coming from the crematorium and the camps, especially Monowitz, the labor part of the camp, and Birkenau, which was the extermination part of the camp. I have read a few books on Aushwitz and it is said that during the height of the exterminations that you wouldn't hear or see a bird within a mile of the camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

there were no birds about when the camp was liberated. It was the stench of rotting courpes that kept them away.

I visited Aushwitz about 7 years ago and this question came up. The answer is during the war it was true. Birds wouldn't fly over the camp when it was functioning and mlumley hit the nail on the head with the reason.
    Now though birds fly over it as the situation has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

There was or is probably something there they don't like (not necessarily the camp) and just stayed away. Or there was no reason for them to go there in the first place.
    When I was small I went on holiday to Wexford and was at a field some locals said was once a mass grave for famine victims or something along those lines. Anyway as soon as a person walked off the road and into the field, what sounded like hundreds of birds started cawing. Probably just them being disturbed by people, but it was weird because even though it was deafening it seemed lik you had to be in the field to hear anything. It probably has hundreds of possible causes but it was spooky. Like Auschwitz

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cowenwatch

Has anyone visited Auschwitz and seen Granddad Bush's Steel foundry?
    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/jun2003/bush-j05.shtml :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Auschwitz19.JPG

Have been there and have loads of photos. Funnily enough most of them are birdless! That said i do remember lost of birds around the original gas chamber. Photo attached - so yes its a myth.

That photo creeps me out dont really know why maybe because of what happened there:(

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Auschwitz19.JPG

Did you have a picture taken under the sign 'Arbeit macht frei'? I saw loads of people doing this the couple of times I was there and found it extremely odd.

Pictures of the sign, yes, but pictures of friends under the sign, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Heres Your Future

I've been there, can't say I remember seeing birds but it was Winter time and I wasn't particularly looking for them. Auschwitz is actually a couple of camps spread over quite a large geographic area so it would be fairly inconceivable that birds wouldn't fly over it. Why do you think that they wouldn't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭twistedbrains

was their saw no birds inside the camp but hey they "all could of been at mc donalds for a euro saver meal"

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Heres Your Future

was their saw no birds inside the camp but hey they "all could of been at mc donalds for a euro saver meal"

maybe you mean 'zloty saver meal'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

the_monkey wrote: »

Occam's razor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Occam's razor isnt a scientific reason.

Advertisement