Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water Meter Cover exploded (video included)?

Options
  • 24-07-2014 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

So the title is a bit dramatic, but I came home last night to find my recently installed water meter cover open.
    I checked back on the cctv expecting to see a car/van or a kid messing with it, but no, it just popped off itself.
    Curious to know what caused this?
    Is this something that needs to be fixed?

Water_Meter_Cover_Popping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Expansion due to the heat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I was thinking it could be that, but mine seemed to be the only one that it happened to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Can you make that happen to mine?

emo72 wrote: »
    Can you make that happen to mine?

Ha, I have better things to be doing than blowing off water meter covers. I contacted Irish water and they're sending someone around to check it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'd say there's fairies on the loose ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

homer911 wrote: »
    Expansion due to the heat?

Somebody jamming pyrite down the meter enclosure ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Might be early signs of a gusher there.:)

lakeview%2014th%20day.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I clicked on the link and got to a site that is playing the Gravity film:pac::pac::pac:....

Is this some kind of clue to your problem OP... Gravity!.. or anti-gravity..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Good call, establishing an alibi OP!

Seriously though looks like someone shoved a firecracker down there or something, how far back in the footage did you watch? Did you check inside for damage?

TheChizler wrote: »

Seriously though looks like someone shoved a firecracker down there or something, how far back in the footage did you watch? Did you check inside for damage?

What they hell video are ye watching. i'm looking at Sandra Bullock... seriously this space thing is boooooring... wheres the water meter popping off film.. could someone else do a link please...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Probably just a gas leak, nuthin serious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

whizbang wrote: »
    Probably just a gas leak, nuthin serious

Yea, probably just a rapid build-up of radon gas under your house. Or a mains gas leak. Nothing to get worried about :eek:

BTW a manhole cover blew off in the same way in Dublin city last week. Any connection I wonder?

deandean wrote: »
    Yea, probably just a rapid build-up of radon gas under your house. Or a mains gas leak. Nothing to get worried about :eek:

BTW a manhole cover blew off in the same way in Dublin city last week. Any connection I wonder?

Naa that was just some teenage turtles..

Ok sorry for all the jokes, I finally got to watch that clip and it looks like there is an expulsion of some type of gas as you can see a plume.. could be dust around the hole too though!!

Contact your water meter installer they might have hit a gas pipe underneath too!

TheChizler wrote: »

I rewound a a few hours and checked by fast forwarding - no sign of anyone going near it.
    Irish Water sent around the contractor and he was surprised by it too, couldn't really explain it either. If it happens again then there's a problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

BigCon wrote: »
    I rewound a a few hours and checked by fast forwarding - no sign of anyone going near it.
    Irish Water sent around the contractor and he was surprised by it too, couldn't really explain it either. If it happens again then there's a problem...

If you look under the lid you will see there is nothing that can cause the lid to blow off. The meter certainly couldn't. The only thing that could cause the pressure in the mains water but if it was the water then the water would have continued to leak.
    SSomeone is playing tricks on you by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

BigCon wrote: »
    Bizarre, I was half thinking that the battery might have exploded but didn't want to say at the risk of creating a nationwide panic! Might have just been the heat of the day causing the air to expand and pop the lid, this would mean they're airtight though which I doubt. :confused:

Advertisement