Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

find out what ip address and port a device is using

• 12-07-2014 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭

I want to confirm what address and port a credit card terminal is trying to access on my network. its not listed in the settings on the terminal.

i have asked the supplier of the device and opened the ports they gave me but i am still cant get it to connect.

so any software which would allow to track what address and port its trying to use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Do you have wireless access to the same network, if so get Fing on your smartphone to list all devices on your network. Brilliant tool
    http://www.overlooksoft.com/download

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You shouldn't need to open a port for it to connect. Have you checked the cable etc it's using?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mr. G wrote: »
    You shouldn't need to open a port for it to connect. Have you checked the cable etc it's using?

This. Only PoS stuff that needs ports open is stuff that takes inbound orders, like Just Eat/Eat Cities receipt units. CC machines open the connection for the transaction themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It works on home broadband fine but not behind the corporate firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

irishgeo wrote: »

UPNP, I'd guess.

Really whoever is providing the unit should be able to give you all the info, and if they have and its still not working you need to get your IT crowd involved. You dont want to misconfigure your sonicwall or similar and leave the company vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Please don't forward ports to it. Fix the issue with the office firewall as ED E said. Better fix it now then leave it, especially if you are dealing with client information that may be left exposed if you don't know what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

irishgeo wrote: »

Then you should be able to look at the corp firewall and see what its trying to do.

Advertisement