Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No work and all play makes Jack a dull boy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cummybaby

charlemont wrote: »
    Ha, I had a look last year about the French Legion but I pictured myself being screamed at in French and not having a clue what he would be saying to me.

Funny you should mention this coz my cousin left Ireland during the last recession to join the French Legion. Things have worked out pretty good for him ever since. He got a pension from the Legion at 35 years of age. Not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Join the girl guides and sell cookies.
    Because everyone loves some nice home made cookies

Failing that, become a nixer/ a delivery off licence service

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Not enough hours in the day for me, get up around 2 most days saunter down town maybe go for lunch or get something in the supermarket to cook later, call into the bookies for a hour or so then either go for a few quiet pints or back home to cook.
    Play poker a few nights a week to help pay the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭F.U.B.A.R

Ha, I had a look last year about the French Legion but I pictured myself being screamed at in French and not having a clue what he would be saying to me.

My Uncle knows a fella who he was freinds with and all of a sudden at the age of 18 he packed up and left. Nearly twenty years later after seeing mutch overseas action and reaching the rank of sergent he returend and hadndt a word of enlish! I myself am looking into the Royal Irish as I know a few lads who have gone u
    http://m.boards.ie/

Cummybaby wrote: »
    Funny you should mention this coz my cousin left Ireland during the last recession to join the French Legion. Things have worked out pretty good for him ever since. He got a pension from the Legion at 35 years of age. Not to be sniffed at.

True but they are verry strict and their training is among the most viciouse in the world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I'm not really looking for suggestions - but I appreciate it nonetheless- just interested to know how other people are coping.

It depends on your age OP :)

Im of the opinion now...just recently, that older people can fill their time a lot better. Pottering..if you will.

Either way 18-58 it doesnt matter when you're suddenly out of work.

Sitting playing games is not good....It cant be :(

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cummybaby

chucken1 wrote: »
    It depends on your age OP :)

Im of the opinion now...just recently, that older people can fill their time a lot better. Pottering..if you will.

Either way 18-58 it doesnt matter when you're suddenly out of work.

Sitting playing games is not good....It cant be :(

This echoes a conversation I had last week with my uncle. The way he put it was that old people cope better because they potter (which is that they do a series of small but meaningful tasks) as oppose to younger people who do a lot of "rooting" (which is a series of small but pointless tasks).

This echoes a conversation I had last week with my uncle. The way he put it was that old people cope better because they potter (which is that they do a series of small but meaningful tasks) as oppose to younger people who do a lot of "rooting" (which is a series of small but pointless tasks).

Strong with the force this one is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

"Rooting" means something else to Australians, and I'm sure young unemployed Australians spend a lot more of their time "rooting" than their elders do. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

He'll be surrendering more than likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Yeah, but a rat with money and nice stuff.

Materialistic rats, sure. Each to their own, I guess.

Advertisement