Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Children's Referendum - Why You Should Vote No

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

if you or anyone else can give me guidance as to why this cant be the case then I may consider voting yes.
    Because there's nothing in the text that says, "if the state decides its best (for them, not the child) then we cant question it"

Little snippets of a constitution can be twisted to mean practically anything if you think hard enough about it.

This is the relevant part of the text:
    In exceptional cases, where the parents, regardless of their marital status, fail in their duty towards their children to such extent that the safety or welfare of any of their children is likely to be prejudicially affected, the State as guardian of the common good shall, by proportionate means as provided by law, endeavour to supply the place of the parents, but always with due regard for the natural and imprescriptible rights of the child.
    I've bolded the important parts which should make it clear why this amendment does not give the government the powers to force-vaccinate children or remove children when their parents refuse to pay the household charge.
    It's actually very important to note that the amendment doesn't say that the state decides what's best for children. Simply that it will attempt to fill the parental role when the child's own parents have failed them.
    This text already exists in the constitution, it's simply being clarified from a legal and literal perspective.

In the context of the entire constitutional document, any attempts to twist these words into claims of widespread forced adoptions and state-run workhouses are just completely laughable nonsense.

I would recommend trying to find out who this "Maria Mhic Mheanmain" is. Even their website gives no background information on her. Her name is scarily reminiscent of another woman (recently deceased), who frequently campaigned under "friendly" banners in order to push a downright evil one-tracked religious agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

seamus wrote: »
    I would recommend trying to find out who this "Maria Mhic Mheanmain" is.

Her?

1224325412581_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Again I ask the question I asked in posts 11 and 14.
    "In a crisis situation who should make the call"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Her?

1224325412581_1.jpg

Aah,that warms the cockles of my heart!
    Brings me right back to the days of the old Mother and Child Bill.
    If this lady was in India, not only would she be sacred, she'd probably have opposed the banning of Suttee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Aah,that warms the cockles of my heart!
    Brings me right back to the days of the old Mother and Child Bill.
    If this lady was in India, not only would she be sacred, she'd probably have opposed the banning of Suttee.

I find it interesting that the gentleman in the cassock is a prominent member of 'Parents for Children'. He must have been banging away in the background, Eamonn Casey style, to give him such a vested interest in this group...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

I think that the Government had the law on it's side in many cases and failed to act, so much so that The McGolgan family in Jan 1998 successfully sued the North Western Health Board for £1 million. In the recent recession the Government targeted the children with special needs first in their cost cutting, in the meanwhile the bankers get retirement and bonuses to boot. Why would anybody vote 'yes' to such a shady referendum when the number of children that this may benefit is minuscule, but the potential for children who were safe in the hands of their parents, might someday find an over cautious social worker with too much power removing them from their home. The government always target the most vulnerable when trying to save money and this is a money saving referendum and has put the family in a weaker position. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,855 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So at once it's a 'money saving referendum' but at the same time kids will be needlessly dragged into care. At least make your fantasy internally consistent, eh?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

Yes, they have been dragged into care in the past, do you deny that fact. Do you really believe the government is doing this for the children. Look around you, take a look at your local primary school, I will bet it is in disrepair, probably has lots of prefabs. Our education system is where a lot of our problems will be solved, but there is no money being invested there. They don't need a referendum to help all the children at once, if they invest in our education system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 freedomtoday

There is massive, unprecedented support for a yes vote, from all quarters, not just governmental.

Wow what a whopping lie - almost half the country voted against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Wow what a whopping lie - almost half the country voted against it.

Bullshit

The electorate is 3.2 million

1.1 million voted (33.5% turnout)

Votes were
    In favour 615,731 58.00%
    Against 445,863 42.00%

This means

19% of the electorate voted in favour
    14% of the electorate voted against

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement