Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Just got a good luck present from my sister :) There seems to be advantages to this leaving ;) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Had planned on getting up at seven tomorrow. :rolleyes: Safe to say that's not happening now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Yous probably all already know this website, but I'ma post it anyways. :)Plath sample essay

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Just to think PF has 5 hours study done now and I'm not starting until 12 is sickening :P
    Awh, I was there too! I went to the mathsci booth as well, were you chatting to the guy who had the really bright eyes and who was kinda camp? Not mathsy looking at all, kinda? :P The environmental science guy was cool too, and the girl at biopharmaceutical stand was lovely :D I was standing chatting to the blonde one at the Economics stand too for like an hour haha, she was so sound! What did you reckon of it overall? :)

Haha yeah pretty sure that's the one I think he had a small lisp aswell! It was kinda awkward because everytime he said something I would at the same time and we'd both just stop. I had a nice chat to the weird old applied maths guy and he was hilarious :pac: But yeah I thought it was good enough! I'm definitely going to NUIG anyway it's just such a nice college, not too big or small and right beside the town :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I know people have LC nightmares, but has anyone had a future career nightmare? I did last night and it was so weird :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Wesc. wrote: »
    Haha yeah pretty sure that's the one I think he had a small lisp aswell! It was kinda awkward because everytime he said something I would at the same time and we'd both just stop. I had a nice chat to the weird old applied maths guy and he was hilarious :pac: But yeah I thought it was good enough! I'm definitely going to NUIG anyway it's just such a nice college, not too big or small and right beside the town :D

Haha that sounds class! He was such a sound lad :D Cool! Did you meet the two PhD mathematicians? :) One of them was half brazilian (and working for Aerobus), he was in the lab, I was talking to him for like half an hour :P And the other guy had black curly hair and glasses, he gave a talk on the 'student experience in science' if you remember him? He was hilarious :P He also gave me a half hour introduction to M-theory afterwards too, he was so sound like!
    Siobhnk wrote: »
    I know people have LC nightmares, but has anyone had a future career nightmare? I did last night and it was so weird :/

What was it? I'm always worrying if I'll like my career. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Haha that sounds class! He was such a sound lad :D Cool! Did you meet the two PhD mathematicians? :) One of them was half brazilian (and working for Aerobus), he was in the lab, I was talking to him for like half an hour :P And the other guy had black curly hair and glasses, he gave a talk on the 'student experience in science' if you remember him? He was hilarious :P He also gave me a half hour introduction to M-theory afterwards too, he was so sound like!

I was talking to a lad at the stands in bailey allen hall, I was at the labs last year anyway so I think I know those guys:P Sure when I go to NUIG library I often find myself reading the maths college books! They're actually ridiculously complicated! Especially the astronomy type books :eek: It's like a different language there's no numbers in the book like :P

What was it? I'm always worrying if I'll like my career. :P

Well I've chosen nursing, and I had a dream that I had to inject something into someone's bloodstream. Anyways I couldn't find a vein so my mam made the person transparent and I could see the heart and arteries in the chest. So I thought well I need to inject into the blood so I'll do it into the heart. However I had never attended a nursing lecture so little did I know that if you pierce someone's heart, they explode. My dream didn't end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Strange thing happened today, I was completely stumped in my maths mock paper 2 q8. Couldn't put anything down. It was the one with the eco-tunnel thing if anyone remembers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Eathrin wrote: »
    Strange thing happened today, I was completely stumped in my maths mock paper 2 q8. Couldn't put anything down. It was the one with the eco-tunnel thing if anyone remembers.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/523576/202246.jpg

This the one? In my actual pre I completely blanked for that one, guessed the radius, lost 20 marks and with them my A1. :'(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I got 6/75 for that. :D

A true horror, I'd be shocked if anyone got full marks in it :eek:

.... I got 0/75 for that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I got 6/75 for that. :D

Got 5/75 on the Probability/Line part of my Mock. Get on my level :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Yeah that one, I actually thought of r-1 so I'm quite annoyed now!

Siobhnk wrote: »
    .... I got 0/75 for that :P

I thought that was where I was headed and I was freaking out, so I cut my losses, guessed the radius and used that in the other parts of the question. The annoying thing is I actually thought of how to do it in the exam, then decided "no, that'll never work". :L

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

finality wrote: »
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/523576/202246.jpg

This the one? In my actual pre I completely blanked for that one, guessed the radius, lost 20 marks and with them my A1. :'(

It took me an hour of staring at that blankly to figure it out. Luckily I had the other pre!

Got 5/75 on the Probability/Line part of my Mock. Get on my level :p
    Our probability was only a tiny bit with no thinking involved so I cant excuse my full marks there, but I got 0/25 on the line because I didnt realize the co-ordinates could be in terms of the variables...get on my level :P
    finality wrote: »
    I thought that was where I was headed and I was freaking out, so I cut my losses, guessed the radius and used that in the other parts of the question. The annoying thing is I actually thought of how to do it in the exam, then decided "no, that'll never work". :L
    I didnt even think to do that, and would never have thought of the actual way to get the radius. :pac:

The 6 marks I got were really down to the over-generous marking scheme and me using my protractor, writing down the real value of the angle and writing 's = r theta'. I am special :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

We had the exam craft mock and a guy managed 100% in the whole mock. Think he answered every single question on both papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Seeing as we're on the subject of maths, if any of yis could help me out with this question I would really appreciate it! I know I'm missing something simple but I can't for the life of me think what :pac:

p(2,-1) q(3,5) r(1,k) are the vertices of a triangle of area 7 sq. units. Find the values of k.

I've tried every formula for getting area and let it equal to 7 but I dunno... I know when it says values I should end with a quadratic but I just can't get it! Thanks in advance guys :)

Seeing as we're on the subject of maths, if any of yis could help me out with this question I would really appreciate it! I know I'm missing something simple but I can't for the life of me think what :pac:

p(2,-1) q(3,5) r(1,k) are the vertices of a triangle of area 7 sq. units. Find the values of k.

I've tried every formula for getting area and let it equal to 7 but I dunno... I know when it says values I should end with a quadratic but I just can't get it! Thanks in advance guys :)

Reduce the first coordinate P to zero and transform the remaining coordinates with the same values you used to reduce the first to (0,0), apply the coordinate geometry area formula and equate it to 7.

• Advertisement

Lately I've been thinking reznov isnt joking about getting 625 points... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

reznov wrote: »
    Reduce the first coordinate P to zero and transform the remaining coordinates with the same values you used to reduce the first to (0,0), apply the coordinate geometry area formula and equate it to 7.

That's what I would've done as well. Most people I know seem to completely forget about that formula though. Was it not on for the Junior Cert? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Togepi wrote: »
    That's what I would've done as well. Most people I know seem to completely forget about that formula though. Was it not on for the Junior Cert? :confused:

It was on the junior cert, probably why people forget it with teachers just assuming they remember maybe.

I don't know it's just a basic formula which also exists in the log book. Maybe people get mixed up with the geometrical area of a triangle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Why am I not studying right now?

Decided I just need to become a lone wolf for the next few weeks because I'm getting way too distracted by my entire year arguing and graduation and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Namlub wrote: »
    Whyyyy? :confused:
    whats with all the questions? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Log tables are your best friend in Maths. They have nearly everything to do with Coordinate Geometry in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

dickwod1 wrote: »
    whats with all the questions? :confused:

Not sure what you're quoting that from, I'm assuming it wasn't directed at you anyway so mind your business, I'll post what I want.

Anyone feel like sending me the examcraft maths mock? Gotta study a lot of physics right now and I feel like some fun later. :L

Yesterday I did an ordinary level maths paper 1 at lunch for fun :D

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any advice on HL Irish debates for P1? My teacher told us we'd do openings etc for them but yeah, we didnt, and now we're finished. She really left us a bit short on material. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement