Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Editing programs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sgt Pepper

Avid is the leader by a long long way. I use its sister program 'pro tools' for working in the audio realm. I have a recording studio in Cork, and my girlfriend works full time in Production on films. Digidesign are the company that make both pro tools and avid software. Be warned - they are extremely expensive. If you've never used high end software before for editing, then this is the wrong place to start. Start with something simple and cheap, walk before you can run, or you'll get bogged down for 2 or even 3 years figuring out, and keeping up with Avid itself and the regular updated changes in the software.
    Avid uses all and any cpu your computer can throw at it. Unless you have a high end computer with fast processor and tons of ram, don't bother. However, i bought a digi 002 control suface/digital firewire mixer, which is compatable with avid, about 2 years ago. Cost me close to e2,500 incl VAT. Recently it stopped working. To ring tech support alone cost nearly 2 euro a minute. Over the phone the engineer told me {nice guy}it would cost e370 excluding vat 2 fix it...how can they give me a figure like that without even seeing the thing? I recommend their software, not hardware. I don't like the way they do business and if you search the net you'll find plenty more users with reservations. Only good news is they have a newly opened repair centre in Dublin, so i can send it here instead of California or Japan 2 get fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, Avid/Digidesign think they are untouchable regarding their edit system, as a result treat people like crap.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Does anyone out there know anything about video editing sotware Power Director 5 made by a company called CyberLink. Its ranked as being the best video editing software on a website called TopTenReviews.com on a comparison with ULead Video Studio. Premiere Elements and Pinnacle Studio Plus.
    Its cheap- less than $100 - and can be downloaded directly.
    I am interested in editing amateur footage taken with a Sony TRV 30 camcorder for domestic - not professional - use. I have found Microsoft's Movie Maker Ver 1 easy to use but Adobe Premier Pro 1.5 fairly user-hostile with terrible Help system.
    Anybody got experience of or heard any about Power Director 5 or got any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 trishamarie

Well for editing audio I use soundforge its free, but for videos I use the adobe premiere...

Trisha Marie Parks

*Mod Edit* Link Removed *Mod Edit*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

I have an iMac with 2 firewire and 2 2.0 usb ports.

I have XP running on a virtual partition but I cant 'see' the Canon 750i DV camera in XP so I have captured a few tapes using iMovies and now wonder how I might 'import' them into Adobe- I can copy them across to the XP partition but then what?.

My concern is that I will degrade the quality unless I capture them in Adobe directly.

Does iMovies 'compress' during capture?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RonaldCox23

I think Final ProHD is really good.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paul222

Hi guys
    I am new here ,a big hello to everyone

I've got Pinnacle but I just hate it ,so I rather use Windows Movie Maker lol
    http://easteurope.org.uk/aboutee.htm

This is my first video,and it shows lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ernest wrote:
    Does anyone out there know anything about video editing sotware Power Director 5 made by a company called CyberLink. Its ranked as being the best video editing software on a website called TopTenReviews.com on a comparison with ULead Video Studio. Premiere Elements and Pinnacle Studio Plus.
    Its cheap- less than $100 - and can be downloaded directly.
    I am interested in editing amateur footage taken with a Sony TRV 30 camcorder for domestic - not professional - use. I have found Microsoft's Movie Maker Ver 1 easy to use but Adobe Premier Pro 1.5 fairly user-hostile with terrible Help system.
    Anybody got experience of or heard any about Power Director 5 or got any advice?

I've used Cyberlink Power Director 3 and it's excellent. Now I am the consumate amateur:o - just do some favours for relations with wedding DVDs etc - so I'll just shoot from the hip from experience. If I say anything idiotic just let me know - I'll stand corrected!

I bought Power Director 3 (legitimately) from a website called www.softwareoutlet.com Cost €9.99 (delivered). It would have cost me €99 in Europe. It really is excellent and has multiple audio and video tracks - including PIP (Picture In Picture). Very easy to author the DVD but it has limited transitions.

I normally use Pinnacle Studio 9. It's a superb programme, but even with 1.5 Gigs of RAM, a 3 GHz P4, and a dedicated Hard Drive it can be laborious at times. But the resultant DVDs are excellent. Massive amount of transitions and really, really easy DVD authoring. Has things like moving chapter thumbnails, etc.

Hope that helps somewhat. I must say folks that it is an eye-opener for someone like me to come in here. The technology on offer is astounding (I can't pretend to understand what you're all on about in parts!). However, I would fully agree with the earlier comment about getting to know the basics of video editing before moving on to any fancy stuff (which I never have personally). It is very good advice.

But home users like myself have come a long way from the mixer/2 CD players/two VCRs, multiple pause buttons, etc. You would have needed to be an octopus!

This is currently on offer at [url]www.softwareoutlet.com:eek:[/url]

http://www.softwareoutlet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=8946

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭StewieGriffin07

Hey, I got adobe after effects there not that long ago.. about a few months and havent used it since, now when i try to go into it,,, after a few seconds a beep noise will go and it automatically disappears... what is wrong with it, anyone help me?

also on another computer adobe is asking for me to get a unlockcode for viewing my pictures, when i type the code in they give me, and press unlock now, it justs goes away too, How can i get my pictures out of this programme..

Is it a legal copy of the programme you have? If it is then try ringing Tech Support. Sounds like a reinstall should fis it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

Hi,

Communications student looking to improve on their skills. I'm not actually producing anything for show as yet, just to mess around and brush up on the camera work/editing. I'm wondering which editing package to purchase. I have previous experience with Final Cut Pro, but that's not an option right now. Avid, as good as I understand it is, is also out of my league money-wise. So options down to:

Adobe Premiere 6.5

Ulead VideoStudio 9/10

Pinnicale Premiere Pro

Using a HDV camera. Any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

curtains wrote:
    Hi,

Communications student looking to improve on their skills. I'm not actually producing anything for show as yet, just to mess around and brush up on the camera work/editing. I'm wondering which editing package to purchase. I have previous experience with Final Cut Pro, but that's not an option right now. Avid, as good as I understand it is, is also out of my league money-wise. So options down to:

Adobe Premiere 6.5

Ulead VideoStudio 9/10

Pinnicale Premiere Pro

Using a HDV camera. Any opinions?
    iMac+Final Cut Express. Much cheaper than Final Cut Pro and will handle DV or HDV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kontaktt

Hey guys, just a quick question as you seem to be up on Premier. I have Adobe Premier pro 2.0. I seem to have a little problem as I'm somebody who has just started using the program. I'm putting together a project where the audio files have being recorded separatley from the video files. The one problem is I can't seem to find out if you can bypass the snap option as Premier seems to only allow edits and syncing to 1/24 of a frame. This leaves them dubbing looking too loose. I can't seem to find any help in the "help" menu.

1 24th of a frame is great, and if you're worrying about something that's 1 24th of a frame out of sync then your eyes are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 skantflock

I still believe sony vegas is the most user friendly editing program it can be used by amateurs and pro's and its easy to get good results from

You can drop audio in anywhere in your session its quick and easy to get the job done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hirth03

I like FlexiMusic Wave Editor, it has always been a solid contender in the world of Windows-based simple and professional audio editors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 conorpacman

Pinnacle is pretty useful, But Avid is the best on the market. Widely used by professionals.

God... The guitar hero episode of south park is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

but .....but what about Windows Movie Maker.............'starts to cry' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Above 2 posts - Yet more spam (google the message text). Weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 & Avid
    Adobe Audition 3.0 for audio
    Enuf said :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 waterdrop

aidanpower wrote: »
    Adobe Premiere is my personal favorite, and when used in conjuntion with Sound Forge, Adobe After Effects and Photoshop it's pretty much capable of anything.

We use Avid in college with the beta decks and I don't like it even half as much.

Agree. I used Adobe in the college in Sligo.

www.tinyurl.ie - make it smaller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ciencin

Premiere Pro + After Effects = best combination for pc in my opinion, (if you have the patience to learn AE then it will be your best friend for making proffesional effects)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mikeyboy65

I am interested in doing a bit of video editing,I have a Sony HD1000 video camera, my friend has a 20in iMAC, and I went and got a 24in all sing and dancing iMAC 4gigs of ram 250HD and FINAL CUT EXPRESS video software from Apple.ie. just over 2000 euros. I have nothing but trouble since I got it the screen fogged up,which seems to bo a fault with thew ,it has been back to the repair co, in Dublin Ireland twice last time was last month the screen was replased ,still the same fogging up,and as for Final Cut I cant do anything with it .I have 2 PCs a 17in laptop and a desktop, apart fron them crashing a few times there OK .I have done basic capture editing and burn to DVD all OK but the iMAC have my head wrecked .The movies wont go into iMOVIE 08 they seem to get lost some whare,and now iDVD wont open ,I have looked at a lot of Apple forums and there seem to be a lot of problems with the 24in Mac ,My friend has an older 20in with the older software and he sems to be able to edit no problem with it ,I think the older model was better. What should I do anyone intrested in a new iMac going cheep. I would be gratefull for any advice .Iam not a pro at this thing .Try to contact, Apple is a night mare even if its an Irish phone no I get transfered all around the world to someone who cant speek English any thats about it in a nutshell,regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

mikeyboy65 wrote: »
    What should I do anyone intrested in a new iMac going cheep.

yes. PM me with a price

hc

Hi Hugh c , I will keep you posted I have someone else intrested in it who lives near me. so at the moment I dont know what to do . thanks for the reply

This isn't for sale - Take it to PM.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I need to get going with adobe premier, anyone recommend any ebooks or youtube vids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 abz

I need to get going with adobe premier, anyone recommend any ebooks or youtube vids?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y17GXN84H_Q&eurl=http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?hl=en&rlz=1C1GGLS_en-GBGB294GB303&q=adobe+premier&um=1&ie=UTF-8&

The guy's pretty good

Advertisement