Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible discrimination in Irish Health care

• 16-03-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7 L6662

Hello,
    I am currently doing research for my degree which requires feed back from society and what better way to interact with people than such well respected discussion forum as this.

I would greatly appreciate any views, opinions or experiences on the possibility of difficulties encountered in the Irish health care system due to cultural differences.

My research focuses on the that fact that Ireland now hosts 188 different nationalities. All of whom have varying religious and ethnic values and beliefs.

Do you consider the Irish healthcare system to be culturally sensitive to all it's patient base?

Do you have any opinions on how medical professionals, Irish and non-Irish nationals could enhance their cultural perspective which would meet the needs of all nationalities?

I assure you this is purely an academic research project and I do not wish to offend any person or group by this post.

All opinions are welcome and thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BR1990

Very interesting topic

I feel that the health care system in Ireland is not very sensitive to treatment of other nationality's outside of Irish. There is many nationality's employed in the health care system. But it is clear that the system is operating by only taking into account Irish culture. For example there is a large volume of consultants in the system that are males, which may affect people outside of the culture of Ireland where females are only treated by female doctors. This is just one clear example of how the system is isolating to other nationality's other side of Ireland the are being treated in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bubblesgalore

Surely this is not an issue? Physically we are all made the same so the only way I can see there is a problem is with personal beliefs or religion. E.g. Some religions will not accept blood trans fusions. But with multi cultural medical professionals with all types of religions working in this country I cannot see how the treatment of anyone is a problem apart from an educational ignorance on beliefs and ethics of others. At the end of the day it is up to the patient to inform the medic of any of these hurdles and the medic will ALWAYS propose the possible treatments. So after all that waffle my response in short is no i don't believe there is discrimination.

I had a difficult experience involving a HSE therapist who wasn't Irish; and I found myself trying to simplify my spoken English to adjust to her understanding, was not a great therapy setting. If you would have specific questions about this, PM me and I'll try to answer them.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement