Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Evil200km - 9th of June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

50 k in, 150 to go. Legs feel fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

lennymc wrote: »
    50 k in, 150 to go. Legs feel fine.

Well done man! I am really glad now that I had to quit yesterday, my knee is in surprisingly bad shape today, sheer pain on the outside. Going to visit the physio first thing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 I Choose Bike

Lads just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who was out. I had a great day. Have never done anything like that and it was brilliant.

Very sore today. I'm quite the sight. I look like an old man - half bent over from the pain in my back.

I was the last to leave Laragh for home and went at a gentle pace with a couple of breaks along the way. All in all a great day and I was glad to have been out for it.

PS I was riding the Felt and wearing the yellow Scott jersey with a red base layer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lads just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who was out. I had a great day. Have never done anything like that and it was brilliant.

Very sore today. I'm quite the sight. I look like an old man - half bent over from the pain in my back.

I was the last to leave Laragh for home and went at a gentle pace with a couple of breaks along the way. All in all a great day and I was glad to have been out for it.

PS I was riding the Felt and wearing the yellow Scott jersey with a red base layer

Looks like we made a boardsie out of you!

Fair play to you! You chose a really tough first spin and you delivered as well! Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Planet X wrote: »
    Bike just got a 3 hour, what do you call it, "Luxurious Spa treatment" Top to toe. :)
    Dieseled / greased / oiled. Still have to buff it though. lol

All cleaning bills to A.Monti

Currently sipping a cappucino and.eating cake. Nom nom.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

with a couple of breaks along the way.
    They tried to drop you?

I tell you - much more camaraderie on the WW200 than the "evil200":D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 I Choose Bike

Beasty wrote: »
    They tried to drop you?

I tell you - much more camaraderie on the WW200 than the "evil200":D

Not at all. The support and encouragement throughout the day were great! It was Daragh who kept me going me up Shay Elliott :)

Thanks Daragh!!!

We all split up in Laragh and I opted to go home alone - ( despite many calls to join the different groups as they set off ) - and I could have had a lift from astra!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

full report from lenny when hes done.

I felt ok today as it goes, very tight but no joint pain, did stocking lane in snatchs this morning was ok setting decent time for last bit at top. Shoulder is sore thou i need work on my core strength.

@astra sorry hear about the knee pain, hopefully gets sorted, what kind of gear do you spin, have you tinkered with your bike setup?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Well done man! I am really glad now that I had to quit yesterday, my knee is in surprisingly bad shape today, sheer pain on the outside. Going to visit the physio first thing tomorrow.

Astra,

I recall a cycle we did many years ago and you had a lot of knee pain.
    Is it the same issue?

Drugs are the answer.

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Done.

You are now officially awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Done.

That's not a very informative report. Being officially awesome means some details. Apart from the nom nom cake at 50k

t'bear wrote: »
    That's not a very informative report. Being officially awesome means some details. Apart from the nom nom cake at 50k

Being awesome means you get beer, a foot massage off the missus, an Ireland win in the footie, and your fans await your post on boards ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

t'bear wrote: »

... on the contrary - I think Lenny's post says it all

Inquitus wrote: »
    Being awesome means you get beer, a foot massage off the missus, an Ireland win in the footie, and your fans await your post on boards ;)
    Your missus is giving lenny a foot massage?

That truely is awesome ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Your missus is giving lenny a foot massage?

That truely is awesome ...

Not really, she gives rubbish foot massages....

right, home and fed now. Report below.

Saturday, evil 200. Left the house about 6 am after 5 hours sleep due to a pre arranged thing. Got to astramontis, had an espresso, and went down to meet the guys at the dundrum bridge. From there we went up some hills, I ended up on my own, figured out how to use my garmin courses, got lost, got found again, and hung around with inquitus and manafana for the rest of the day.

Today:
    Woke up about 6 am (yay, a lie in) went and met another raider down at the shoreline place. Left the start about 8.20, and popped around the course. The other raider, Peter, hasnt been out much recently, so he was taking it handy, which was fine by me. Went up and down some hills, drank coffee, ate sambos, talked with people and cycled round the course.

I was taking it easy for most of the weekend and enjoyed it.

Some things I learned over the weekend:
    Standard gearing is faster, but compact gearing is easier. Im bringing compact gearing to the pyrenees.
    I appear to have good recovery.
    Sunscreen.
    Lots of water
    Taking it easy is quite enjoyable.

Saturday:
    http://app.strava.com/rides/10445724

Sunday:
    http://app.strava.com/rides/10527457

ROK ON wrote: »
    Lenny, if you do this and the WW200 back to back I will donate €50 to a charity of your choosing. Just some incentive.

Ahem.

:)

Well done Lenny, you are a legend, after this weekend you ll find France a walk in the park.
    ROK ON wrote: »
    Astra,

I recall a cycle we did many years ago and you had a lot of knee pain.
    Is it the same issue?

Drugs are the answer.

Same knee different issue. I seem to develop something new every summer. This one started at the mick Byrne but went away the next day so I didn't pay attention. It's a sheer pain on the outside of the knee each time I bend it. If my google-doctor abilities are correct I might be suffering from ITBS or in different words, an overused knee. We ll see what the physio will say, I will be bringing quite a few painkillers on the trip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lenny

Very happy to oblige.

How about I see you for lunch later in the week & we can settle up then.
    Chapeau.

just got a chance to upload a couple of pictures.

In the begining there were many
    100_0446.jpg

then there were two
    100_0447.jpg

Wait for me Inquitus!!!
    100_0453.jpg

im just taking a break! (this was actually the most comfortable road in ireland. No, really!)
    100_0458.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Taking it easy is quite enjoyable.

Saturday:
    http://app.strava.com/rides/10445724

Sunday:
    http://app.strava.com/rides/10527457

:)

Wow. That is seriously impressive climbing and staying in Z1 or Z2 for 96+% of the time. You must be seriously cycle-fit ! I'd love to hear what a typical weeks cycling is for you...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

What's the killer hill in the 2nd last photo (sorry if this sounds newbie-esq) ?

route66 wrote: »
    What's the killer hill in the 2nd last photo (sorry if this sounds newbie-esq) ?

That's part of this hill - http://app.strava.com/activities/10462013#183598940

which is the first one after the descent at 125km - http://app.strava.com/activities/10462013#

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Inquitus wrote: »

I'm not sure whether to feel sympathy or jealousy for "Declan Roe", apparently nominated by Strava as honorary fastest woman for that segment. A QoM may not be something he'd want to brag to his mates about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

http://app.strava.com/rides/10608484

packed in the climbing in colarado

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Wow. That is seriously impressive climbing and staying in Z1 or Z2 for 96+% of the time. You must be seriously cycle-fit ! I'd love to hear what a typical weeks cycling is for you...?

em, its not that much really. everything is up on strava. I do a bit of intervals, hill repeats, sprinting a couple of nights a week, commute in and out of work sporadically, some a4 and league races. I do have a relatively low high heart rate (circa 160 bpm), and a relatively low cadence. I suppose I just like cycling :)

em, its not that much really. everything is up on strava. I do a bit of intervals, hill repeats, sprinting a couple of nights a week, commute in and out of work sporadically, some a4 and league races. I do have a relatively low high heart rate (circa 160 bpm), and a relatively low cadence. I suppose I just like cycling :)

160 is your max heart rate? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

AstraMonti wrote: »
    160 is your max heart rate? :eek:
    Holy crap! That's close to my resting!

Advertisement