Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* Religion * Predictions, discussion and aftermath (1 thread please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

think the jewish understanding of the kingdom of god is due to come up, its never been up before.
    know the sophists, socrates, aristotle, plato or anselm, aquinas - all the philosophers they nearly always come up for some q in section a

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Davidmator wrote: »
    Hi,

I was just wondering what is the structure for an essay in the leaving cert religion exam. I have no idea how to structure an answer. My teacher has a different structure to other subjects like history. Totally confused! :confused:

Basically like this:

Opening- describe and outline the topic; if it's christology, outline what christology means and give an example...if its impact of roman rule on palestine, give a small outline of what the roman empire was (autocratic etc.) and give the historical background

Middle- you need several points of information for this..around each point should be composed a paragraph as you should expand and waffle and gave examples of such information. If the question asks you something specific, remember to answer it (i.e to what extent...why..) and link in the title at least one or two times a page (you don't have to put in the entire title, just plop in keywords from it here and there)

Concluding- just wrap it up by doing a tiny summary of the information and remember to link in the title at the end; they love that..plus, try and make it symmetrical with the opening paragraph FOR EXTRA POINTS!

Basically the exam is like a Resident Evil boss...you just have to hit the mofo over and over in the weakpoints (by linking the title in here and there and putting info in at the right intervals and use paragraphs) as opposed to just making a boring blob of information and a half-hearted ending...remember that the examiners like organisation as well as substance..a lot of the marks go for paragraphing, linking in the title and also they really like when you reference other parts of the course too when applicable.

Believe me, it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 keeirs

xclw wrote: »
    think the jewish understanding of the kingdom of god is due to come up, its never been up before!
    ↲It came up in 2005 but yeah its possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

I think we're needed in the atheism forum .
    People trying to make out like humanism is like some religious stewardship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

God did it. For every answer. Even the long questions, because God is not discriminatory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Davidmator

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Basically like this:

Opening- describe and outline the topic; if it's christology, outline what christology means and give an example...if its impact of roman rule on palestine, give a small outline of what the roman empire was (autocratic etc.) and give the historical background

Middle- you need several points of information for this..around each point should be composed a paragraph as you should expand and waffle and gave examples of such information. If the question asks you something specific, remember to answer it (i.e to what extent...why..) and link in the title at least one or two times a page (you don't have to put in the entire title, just plop in keywords from it here and there)

Concluding- just wrap it up by doing a tiny summary of the information and remember to link in the title at the end; they love that..plus, try and make it symmetrical with the opening paragraph FOR EXTRA POINTS!

Basically the exam is like a Resident Evil boss...you just have to hit the mofo over and over in the weakpoints (by linking the title in here and there and putting info in at the right intervals and use paragraphs) as opposed to just making a boring blob of information and a half-hearted ending...remember that the examiners like organisation as well as substance..a lot of the marks go for paragraphing, linking in the title and also they really like when you reference other parts of the course too when applicable.

Believe me, it helps :)

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pottermore

Section A is ment to be like Plato and the sophists ( search for meaning and values)

Religion and science..... Galileo or Newton maybe take a look at the geneitics debate

World religions ... comparing stuff and like african religions

MDM .... Moral conflict, moral theoryist like Lawerence kohlberg

Just predictions thats been floating around the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pottermore

Section A is ment to be ... Plato and the sophists and Key moments

MDM ... moral conflict common good and moral theorists like sigmund frued

WR just look over what you studied
    and

Religion and science ..... Galileo Newton and Genetics debate maybe

thats just what i gathered from the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Ugh did music today and nearly all my friends are finished............ so jealous, do not want to study :(

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

Pottermore wrote: »
    Section A is ment to be ... Plato and the sophists and Key moments

Section A:
    Option A: Concept of God - Christianity/Islam/Judaism, Hinduism/Buddhism
    Option B: Aquinas and the other guy. (won't be answering this one myself)

Section B: Christology 40 marks,

Morality section: Trends - 2 key achievements, 2 key difficulties

Section I: Newgrange/pilgrimage Patterns of change (Bah'ai faith)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

My guesses for Religion

Section A

Question 1
    -Outline one of Plato's main Beliefs
    -Outline the place of the sophists in ancient Greece
    Question 2
    -Explain why symbol emerged in the formulation of responses to the questions of life and in each case give examples
    -Describe briefly the emergence of monotheism and explain the concept of God in each of the Monotheistic Religions

Section B
    - Outline one way in which Roman rule impacted on the political, social and religious systems at the time of Jesus
    - Briefly outline the responses of Zealots, Sadducees, Pharisees and Essene's to roman rule

Section C
    - Challenges to tradition in each of the major world religions
    - Cults and sects

Section I
    - Pre-Christian Ireland

Uh F*** it .I'm screwed for this exam . Night all !

ahhhh i'm so not prepared at all :O
    may try get up early and do a bit!
    good luck everyone :D

xclw wrote: »
    ahhhh i'm so not prepared at all :O
    may try get up early and do a bit!
    good luck everyone :D

Good luck? I need prayers or miracles lol ....
    Last exam though Thank God

i have insomnia, think i'll watch passion of christ or something.
    anyway my predictions:

Sec A
    -Anselm, Newton, Aquinas (haven't been up since 05 most likely thing)
    -Socrates, Plato, Sophists
    -r/ship with transcendant
    - agnosticism or symbols

Sec B
    - Christian Unity
    - Jewish Understanding of Kingdom of God
    -Christology

Sec C
    - Vision of Salvation
    - Primal Religions

Sec I
    -Land Sacredness
    -Pre Christian Ireland

probably dead wrong but sure :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Duda17

It is unbelievable how much you have to learn for religion you cannot leave anything out and i dont know half of it. If a question on the proofs of god come up i know what my answer will be: if i pass this exam that is proof that there is a god.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

I think gods of the Ancients will come up.. they've never been up!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

That was one tough exam!

a) Sophists question was easy marks.

b) Asking TWO Myths just isn't fair. Unfortunately I didn't think about Allegory of the Cave and did Children of Lir and 'An Chearrbhach Mac Caba' instead. (It's still a myth)
    The question was to compare them in how questions of the meaning of life are evident in each.

Section B with the 2 modern writers of christianity today and how their writings about christ influence us.....What the hell? The Da Vinci Code???

Section D: a) Civil Law and how Common good and rights interlink:
    Did Smoking ban, no problems really
    b)Discuss Roles of Conscience and Moral freedom in the devolopment of a morally mature person.
    Again no problems.

Section I was fine: a) Two trends with regard to young people
    B) Influence of one on development of Christianity in Ireland:
    Religion, spirituality and

1:Land - Did introduction with Yahweh and then plantations in ireland.
    2:Monasticism
    3:Reforms
    4:The Enlightenment

After leaving out Section B part b which is 40 marks I just have to face it I won't be getting an A unless they make it 20 marks. I really hope I'm not the only one who had to battle with this paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sketchz700

i thought the paper was fine
    unit 1-sophists and prometheus and epic of gilgamesh
    unit 2-chiara lubich and jurgen moltmann and then the other question i did smoking ban which was fine
    unit 3-biology and psychology on genders, i forget the other part of that Q but i was happy over all answered about 2pages per 40marks.. nothing to tricky anyway.. just wait and see now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SleazeMerchant

What a load of waffle

• Advertisement

Sec A - Sophists - grand
    Myths - had to remember what i learned for the mocks hadn't looked over them since and only had time to do one so there goes 20 marks :/
    Sec B - Resurrection - not what i was hoping for, again ran outta time and ended throwing random words down
    Christology/ writers - grand i did karl rahner and Gustave gutierrez
    Sec C - The awkward moment when your a christian and you realise you knew more about judaism than christianity :/
    Sec I - LOvely! best section by a mile :D

overall fairly happy, probably won't get the mark i want but sure
    IM FREEEEEEEEE

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FTS

Here, story with people saying that was easy? :confused:
    I laughed coming out of it, because I knew nothing on that paper apart from section A. FML. Fail. D3 if Im lucky.
    & I actually studied, the course is just ridiculous you never know whats gonna come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bogger_92

Thought that was a nice paper, as sheer luck would have it I revised 70% of the topics the night before! :) looks like the old prayer worked! Hoping for a B1 anyway!

Well that could have gone better!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

sooo how did everyone find it??

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

i found part a beautfiul.
    i found christianity horrible. i made christian writers up..... i didnt learn any?!?!? what the hell like??
    rest was alright
    sorry... im currently enjoying my end of leaving cert too much.......... .kdsfra vwooo!! :)

Well that could have gone better!

Same although regardless of the fact we had a week to study the thing but likelyhood is i would have procrastinated all the same to be fair .

I think I would have put in more effort if it were last week instead of the week gap

Same although regardless of the fact we had a week to study the thing but likelyhood is i would have procrastinated all the same to be fair .

I think I would have put in more effort if it were last week instead of the week gap

Same. I had no interest in studying....specially when everyone else was out celebrating

Same. I had no interest in studying....specially when everyone else was out celebrating

exactly it has more to do with the date of the exam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

I died a little inside when I saw the Christian writers/Christology part... I knew the names of two writers but that was literally it, so had an interesting time inventing exactly how they understood Jesus.
    Apart from that, the questions were alright, although WHY DON'T WE HAVE MORE TIME? It's absolutely ridiculous. I knew topics such as the gender understandings and common good well, but literally didn't have enough time to put everything down.

Still........ WE'RE FREE. I can't believe it. Freedom is all the sweeter for us because we've had to wait so long. :D *sleeps for the next week*

Advertisement