Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Historical gun for sale today

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

kowloon wrote: »
    The barrel shroud on the Lewis does make it look like a watercooled gun though.

Perhaps, but Grizz was right; the one I was thinking of was the Vickers.
    Rs
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Phoned Mealy's this morning. The Major's gun was sold for 1900 euro. Seems OK, long-term it would be a good investment for that money.
    P.

i think it was a fair price for such a historical gun , any idea if it stayed in the republic ? would it have to be hacked up (deactivated) if it were kept here ?

rowa wrote: »
    i think it was a fair price for such a historical gun , any idea if it stayed in the republic ? would it have to be hacked up (deactivated) if it were kept here ?

I gave Mealys the Lot No. and asked what it made. I imagine they would not comment on purchaser. Price seemed at the lower end IMO, but pre-sale advertising was not properly targetted. I'd guess that a few on here would have brought it up a bit, and any US interest would have brought multiples of that price, think of the Maud Gonne connection, etc., and what some common/basic but good provenance guns make over there. Hope it went to the Nat. Museum.
    Any de-activation would in my view destroy its value. Options would be to leave in a RFD's storage or loan to a museum if you wanted to avoid the licence fee. I would love to have bought it even if only to have a go at the current licencing system BS. Imagine the headlines "Minister forces export of 1916 Relic" or "Gun Away" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

I gave Mealys the Lot No. and asked what it made. I imagine they would not comment on purchaser. Price seemed at the lower end IMO, but pre-sale advertising was not properly targetted. I'd guess that a few on here would have brought it up a bit, and any US interest would have brought multiples of that price, think of the Maud Gonne connection, etc., and what some common/basic but good provenance guns make over there. Hope it went to the Nat. Museum.
    Any de-activation would in my view destroy its value. Options would be to leave in a RFD's storage or loan to a museum if you wanted to avoid the licence fee. I would love to have bought it even if only to have a go at the current licencing system BS. Imagine the headlines "Minister forces export of 1916 Relic" or "Gun Away" :D

Damn and drat, I totally would've scooped that one up

harmoniums wrote: »
    Damn and drat, I totally would've scooped that one up

Just as well the two of us were not there!:D:D:D
    I'm not surprised really, I've seen some s#1 t make big money at auctions here and then seen other stuff sell for way below its value. I once looked at a pair of Cogswell & Harrison in 12g that had been guntered and were fit for scrap and they made several grand:rolleyes:! Depends on who is there on the day.
    P.
    Who is old enough to remember when chargers were used for real and night firing exercises prior to fellas going off to fight the Balubas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i notice in the back of the irish times and the indo that they do reports from country house auctions and there are often firearms , usually old ones , included . one last week there was a dueling pistol listed and it went for €1,900 , think it was a trulock of dublin .

Advertisement