Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying a dog

• 22-03-2010 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi all, I am thinking of purchasing a puup for my son and would like to get some adive before I actually go ahead with purchase.

1) Firstly where exactly can I buy one?
    (preferably from a shelter)

2) How much for vacinations? Licence? etc...

Any help/advice appreciated.

Andy
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Well if you go the shelter route they'll ask for a donation of €100+ depending on the shelter. But this does cover the dog being checked by a vet, wormed, flea'd and vaccinated as well as feed and looked after from when it arrived to when you take it home. Its really a bargain, vac's can cost upwards of €60 easily, and you sometimes get a neutering voucher too.
    Licence is about €12 it may have gone up since I renewed mine(almost a year now).
    Where abouts are you, people can give you idea of good rescues/shelters to look in.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Shelters & rescues as said can be a bargain, you may find it a bit frustrating waiting to find the right dog for you tho if you really have your heart set on finding the perfect one for the family that all of ye love.

As for vaccinations, annual booster varies from vet to vet, currently I pay 32.50 for 7-in-1 annual booster, worming, de-fleaing, nail clipping & anal gland check .... last vet I was paying over 50 just for the booster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭andy winter

mymo wrote: »
    Well if you go the shelter route they'll ask for a donation of €100+ depending on the shelter. But this does cover the dog being checked by a vet, wormed, flea'd and vaccinated as well as feed and looked after from when it arrived to when you take it home. Its really a bargain, vac's can cost upwards of €60 easily, and you sometimes get a neutering voucher too.
    Licence is about €12 it may have gone up since I renewed mine(almost a year now).
    Where abouts are you, people can give you idea of good rescues/shelters to look in.
    Best of luck.

Hi, thanks for the reply/advice, I am not in a major rush to buy one I just wanted to gather info for when I feel the time is right to get one :)

I am living in Co. Longford

andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭andy winter

Thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭IrishManSaipan

Hi, thanks for the reply/advice, I am not in a major rush to buy one I just wanted to gather info for when I feel the time is right to get one :)

andy

Hi Andy,

You can check out some of the available dogs in the Longford dog pound here; http://www.longfordcoco.ie/coco_content.aspx?id=11358

The labs a cutie.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

andy

Ahhh if you spot one around Maynooth or Dublin area in some of the pounds or anywhere, & you can get the wee mite transported to me, I'll get him to Rathowen for ya to pick up if it's any help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Andy whats your living situation like? Loads of space or limited? How much time have you got to exercise the dog? If your son gets bored are ya willing to take over? Sorry i could go on..:o

If you decide on a specific breed, research its traits and requirements. If you go for a crossbreed..try and figure out whats in the cross.

It is so true "a dogs for life not just for christmas" as clichéd as it sounds. They dont live on fresh air, they cost money and get sick, they have personalities and breed characteristics that can turn problematic in the wrong hands etc. But give sooo much love in the hands of a good owner!It sounds so basic but you wouldnt believe the amount of people i see who literally do not have a clue about basic animal care.

People dont want to hear the negatives of owning a pet but it took me 2 mths of weighing up the pros and cons of getting a kitten after my dog died after 14 yrs so its not something that should be done lightly.;)

If it was me, a rescue is the way to go. Most of them are fairly thorough and will guide you in picking a dog that suits you.Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I would highly recommend www.dogstrust.ie you will get a lovely pup that is vaccinated, chipped and will be neutered for €80 also loads of support and you'll be rescuing a pup in need :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

This is an old thread :rolleyes:

Advertisement