Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trends in User Interface Design

Options
  • 18-10-2014 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭

Lads could anybody help me out with a question. I have to write a short essay on recent trends in user interface design. The biggest one i can see is flat design so i need something to compare to it.

I have to compare two talk about two recent trends and compare two of them. Could anybody recommend a recent trend that would be good to compare to flat design.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Here's a few off the top of the head:

Responsive vs Design Traditional screen size UI methods.

Markup trends: New additions in html5: form validation, methods, non-form methods eg. tel: protocol, new tags which are more apt, rational and semantic: eg. header, footer, aside, article, section.

Minimal vs fuller content pages.

Google SEO trends/Semantic treatments and impact on copy content: ~ Web 2.0 -> Web 3.0

User generated and/or rich content trends: ~ Web 1.0 -> Web 2.0

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Single page websites.

Parallax.

Background video.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Cheers lads it's only a short 600 word report which is fairly short for something with so much information.

I am new to I.T. so i will have a look through those and decide which two i will compare.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

You should be able to find tonnes on 'skeuomorphic vs flat design' (It was a popular blog post a while back that everyone and their mother seemed to want to write).

Might not be all that 'recent' though.

KonFusion wrote: »
    You should be able to find tonnes on 'skeuomorphic vs flat design' (It was a popular blog post a while back that everyone and their mother seemed to want to write).

Might not be all that 'recent' though.

I think somebody else got in with that idea first. Finding it hard to find something to compare to flat design but going to have a good look now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Or Google's "material" design language, that will start getting popular in a few weeks time, when Lollipop is released

cormee wrote: »
    Or Google's "material" design language, that will start getting popular in a few weeks time, when Lollipop is released

Problem is i will need references and i need to talk about recent trends. So i will be looking at two popular trends from 2013 or earlier this year. Describe both of them, give advantages and disadvantages and then just do a small bit on comparing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

For UI design I'd go with the use of the 'hamburger' button for site menus. It's becoming more common to have them in place even on desktop sites now. Their positioning and functionality varies but the symbol is universally known now. You could easily compare the use of these to traditional menus or mega menus.

I have decided instead of comparing two by looking at recent trends that were/are successful and recent trends that were failures.

I am thinking of picking two of the most successful in recent years and then two of the biggest failures. Give a description of the successes and of the failures.

Then to sum it up a comparison of why they were successful and why the others were failures.

I am heading off to class now so i will look up which four to pick out later. Can anybody recommend any recent big failures in user interface design.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I have decided instead of comparing two by looking at recent trends that were/are successful and recent trends that were failures.

I am thinking of picking two of the most successful in recent years and then two of the biggest failures. Give a description of the successes and of the failures.

Then to sum it up a comparison of why they were successful and why the others were failures.

I am heading off to class now so i will look up which four to pick out later. Can anybody recommend any recent big failures in user interface design.

- Some will argue the hamburger menu (often to death), but I think it has value sometimes.. But not often. There is however no need for it on desktop, too many sites use it for minimalistic purposes, but I just think its lazy..

- Scroll hijacking is such a nuisance, you never take control of a what a person expects to happen.

- Just the idea of Web 2.0, flashy buttons with superfluous shine on buttons and elements. Not quite skeumorphism, but not that far off.

-Ads on popup overlays, no better way to piss off people before you get a chance for them to see your content. Same goes for interstitials..

- Not entire UI points, but Flash sites, audio on pages, gaudy text effects have thankfully died off.

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    - Some will argue the hamburger menu (often to death), but I think it has value sometimes.. But not often. There is however no need for it on desktop, too many sites use it for minimalistic purposes, but I just think its lazy..

- Scroll hijacking is such a nuisance, you never take control of a what a person expects to happen.

- Just the idea of Web 2.0, flashy buttons with superfluous shine on buttons and elements. Not quite skeumorphism, but not that far off.

-Ads on popup overlays, no better way to piss off people before you get a chance for them to see your content. Same goes for interstitials..

- Not entire UI points, but Flash sites, audio on pages, gaudy text effects have thankfully died off.

Thanks for that had a look at inline scrolling and scroll hijacking and i will certainly be using them very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 proplayer

Nuts102 wrote: »

I am writing a report on successful recent trends for user interface design from a designer point of view. As in the report talks about two or three recent trends that are important to make your website attractive to users.

Did you come up with any ideas for successful recent trends? I am looking at flat design, responsive design and i am unsure on the third. Do you think those two would be a start anyway flat definitely seems very popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

proplayer wrote: »
    I am writing a report on successful recent trends for user interface design from a designer point of view.
    proplayer wrote: »
    I am looking at flat design, responsive design and i am unsure on the third.

'Flat' is a design trend. 'Responsive' is a functionality enhancement. You can talk about designing for responsive layouts but responsive in itself isn't a design trend in my opinion. It's like saying jQuery is a design trend.

Here's a blog from a designer who writes for designmodo, you might get some ideas from it: http://beinglimited.com/

Advertisement