Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When did you realize you are L,G,B or T

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PrettyRad

I identify as pansexual, which means, more or less, that I'm attracted to males, females and everyone in between (non-binary/genderqueer individuals)- basically I dint get attracted to a gender, its more personality and aesthetic- and to be honest I only really realised aged 15. I knew I liked boys, I'd dated boys, I'd kissed boys, but then I found myself crushing hard on a girl in my year, and forced myself to recognise that I was at least bisexual. And then I met this person on tumblr (yes, I know) who I found myself falling for slowly, and I discovered that they identified as genderfluid, and that was that. I knew what pansexuality was by then, and adopted the label for myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

I only really realised I was pansexual last September, not much of a backstory to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

PrettyRad wrote: »
    I identify as pansexual, which means, more or less, that I'm attracted to males, females and everyone in between (non-binary/genderqueer individuals)- basically I dint get attracted to a gender, its more personality and aesthetic- and to be honest I only really realised aged 15. I knew I liked boys, I'd dated boys, I'd kissed boys, but then I found myself crushing hard on a girl in my year, and forced myself to recognise that I was at least bisexual. And then I met this person on tumblr (yes, I know) who I found myself falling for slowly, and I discovered that they identified as genderfluid, and that was that. I knew what pansexuality was by then, and adopted the label for myself!

Funny, when I was in Canada I came more around too the idea that I was indeed pansexual rather than bi. I still identify as bi in Ireland as explaining pansexuality almost gives me an aneurysm trying to get their heads around it.

But yes, accepted my bisexuality in the last 2 years. Have spent the last 13 flipping in my head about what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

When I was around 13. Was watching the TV in bed late one night and found the weatherman particularly handsome in his suit. Shortly after I noticed that something was happening 'downstairs'.

Soon after, I started to realise that I found a lot of guys in my school attractive in their uniforms as well and doing PE was awkward having to watch them get undressed and showering and not get an erection.

So I learned early enough that not only did I like guys, but I also found I had a kink in liking guys in shirt and tie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Looking back it's hard to pick a point in my life when it dawned on me that I was gay. When I was 6 or 7 I was fascinated by Trampas in The Virginian (Doug McClure), one of my cousin's uncles used to sometimes visit (he wasn't related) he was probably in his late teens (nothing untoward ever happened) but I used to get all excited when he'd call. There were probably lots of other things, I wasn't sexually aware but it all probably seemed quite normal to me. I used to get teased a bit for being a bit of a "sissy".
    It was when I started secondary school I began to wake up, we had gym and swimming every week, I was the youngest in my year and some guys were physically more developed than me, sometimes I'd see more senior guys in the dressing rooms or showers who were less inhibited and didn't try to cover up. I was part terrified but really turned on, of course I knew I could never say it to anyone. I went to a mixed school and it seemed that all the other guys were talking about the girls, by the time I got into my 20's I discovered that I was far from the only gay guy in my year, in fact I'd go so far as to say that there were way more guys than what might be considered the average who turned out to be gay. I remember reading in an encyclopedia that same sex attraction in younger people wasn't that unusual but it was usually only a phase so I didn't worry too much but when I got to leaving cert and those attractions were still there I started to panic. I had also developed a serious crush one of the younger teachers (who never taught me), so I joined one of the extra curricular club that he was involved in. I cringe now when I think back on it, I'm sure it must have been so obvious. He must have got a great kick out of it.
    In my college years I did try dating some woman but it was a disaster. Back in the 80's very few people came out in their teens, like many in my generation I was well into my 20's before I came out to my family. Looking back at my teens in particular I feel that they were wasted years, I invested a lot of energy in lying, covering my steps and trying to change but more than that my feelings of inferiority and inadequacy in relation to my sexuality did a lot of damage to my self confidence and held me back at a time when I should have been enjoying myself and making more of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Seamai wrote: »
    Back in the 80's very few people came out in their teens, like many in my generation I was well into my 20's before I came out to my family. Looking back at my teens in particular I feel that they were wasted years, I invested a lot of energy in lying, covering my steps and trying to change but more than that my feelings of inferiority and inadequacy in relation to my sexuality did a lot of damage to my self confidence and held me back at a time when I should have been enjoying myself and making more of my life.

This. I was a teen in the late ninetie, early 2000's and I had the same confidence issue. Regret is a horrible thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

I pretty much knew when I was 4, my parents knew for sure the day I hit 15 and said "Don't think of it as losing a son but gaining a daughter", after that they pretty much had no input in how I was going to live my life lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I don't know if I ever thought I was any other way. Certainly I can't remember it if I did. I distinctly remember 'making myself comfortable' at age 7 and reflecting on what a great bf Bart Simpson would make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I've known for definite since I was 12 that I was bisexual with a propensity towards liking women as I had strong feelings towards a female penpal I met online.
    She too was bi and in the years prior to meeting her, I was wholly confused by the fact that everytime I saw Lucy Lawless kicking ass as Xena I found my heart all a-flutter. By the time I met my friend, I was just about to start an all-girl's Catholic school and that compounded the issue.
    I was always awkward around boys and didn't really socialize with them all that much so most of my social encounters were with the few girls in my art class that didn't think I was a total weirdo for liking rock music over pop.
    Anyways, cut to my 17th year. I was in art college (a community one) and struck up a friendship with a guy in class. We went on one date to the movies-the movie adaptation of Silent Hill if I remember correctly.
    He kept trying to hold my hand throughout which made me feel uncomfortable as it was the first time a boy had shown me affection and I didn't know how to handle it.
    Later, when he walked me to the bus stop, he asked if he could meet me again. In my naivety, I thought he meant he wanted another date.
    I was confused but somewhat flattered that he liked me so I said yes. The next thing I knew, he lunged at me and stuck his tongue down my throat, grabbing my breasts and groping me openly at the bus stop.
    I was so shocked I couldn't even summon the strenght to push him away. When he finally released me, I was so traumatized that I hopped on the bus in a state of numbness.
    It had been my first kiss-if you could call it that- but I felt far from elated. It felt wrong to me and for days afterwards, I beat myself up wondering why I felt so violated afterwards. Back then, I had little knowledge or experience of the act of "shifting" and it showed.
    The guy relentlessly pursued me through text messaging but he never got that second date and I avoided him like the plague which lead to him then turning on me, followed by abusive texts and dirty looks in the hall.
    I eventually dropped out of the course (there were other reasons I won't get into) and never saw him again.
    Then, aged 18, I met another boy and clumsily fell into a turbulent fling that claimed my virginity and resulted in several instances of being shoved and slapped if I didn't engage in sexual activity when he demanded it.
    Fortunately, this daliance didn't last very long and I managed to get free of him before he completely wore me down.
    The experience made me think negetively towards men- I figured they were all users and abusers only after one thing and I felt conflicted over the fact that I could never enjoy sex with a man.
    I remained single for a few years after that, working on my self worth and confidence issues until, aged 21, I met my current ex and the whole thing started again.
    Whilst he was never physically abusive, there was emotional turmoil and stress and once again, I felt I was only with him because it was seen as the "normal" thing for men and women to be together.
    I hated him touching me in bed-I got no pleasure out of it no matter how hard I tried and I found myself fantasizing about women while we were together in a bid to get it done and over with.
    After a few months, for a variety of other factors, the relationship broke down and I dumped him as I was sick of the emotional bull**** and stress he was giving me as well as my own internal struggles dealing with the latent lesbianic tendencies I tried to ignore for so long.
    That was 5 years ago and I've been single ever since.
    I know in my heart that I am more attracted to women but I still have that part of me that likes men in a certain capacity of say, ooh, 20%.
    Perhaps it is the bitter experience of being used and treated badly by past partners that has made me so weary about men in general but I am equally aware that women can be just as hurtful.
    These days, I am in no hurry to relinquish my status as a single lady but I am thoroughly convinced that I will eventually, at some stage of my life, settle down with a woman. I can feel it in the very depts of my soul, in the core of my bones and I refuse to deny the fact any further.
    Yet I often think I label myself as bisexual for the sake of an easier life because I feel that I would be outcast by my family if I were to truely come out as a fully fledged lesbian.
    Whilst my mother says she has no problem with gay people, she can often be a little tactless at times and she has long dismissed my so-called bisexuality as a phase, saying that I'm only sprouting off about it due to the fact that "I haven't met the right man yet."
    Urgh.
    It's tough but I'm fed up of living with one foot in the closet.
    I'm not quite ready to fully come out but I know I will I time- prehaps when I am no longer living under my parents roof and can have the independence to explore this aspect of my sexuality more freely. Time will only tell.
    Sorry for the long post- that was a little more confessional than I anticipated... :)

Advertisement