Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N11 rush hours between Cabinteely and UCD

• 16-11-2013 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi
    We are thinking of moving to Cabinteely. We both work in UCD 9-5 (well longer but officially that's the working hours) and would be driving mostly. Is the N11 a total nightmare to get there and back around these times? I know if we left the house at 7.30am we would be grand but that doesn't make much sense for work (no flexitime etc). We will test ride before moving but would be grateful for commuters' input on this. Thanks a million

Ps sorry if this has been discussed to death, did a few searches on boards before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Have you thought about cycling? You might be talking 7-10 km each way.

I travel up and down the N11 4 times a week from Santry to Cherywood. It takes me 20mins in the evening to get from work to UCD

It's mainly all down hill from just past Foxrock church to UCD.

It would be a little hard in the evening as you have two hills before and after Stillorgan.

Have you thought about the bus? The 145 runs every 10 mins in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

thanks love cycling, used to do this distance as commute in Cork (with some hilly bits!) but we also have a little boy who would probably be with a childminder or in creche near UCD. I haven't found public transportation too reliable in Dublin - is the 145 good service generally?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That commute is on the best QBC in the city.

The 145 will get you there easily - there are extra services that start at Loughlinstown as well which should help with boarding.

thanks, it's good to know. Still would prefer to drive - would be grateful for info from drivers using the N11 for this stretch
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

scaryfairy wrote: »
    thanks, it's good to know. Still would prefer to drive - would be grateful for info from drivers using the N11 for this stretch
    cheers

Tellus Scaryfairy,are you of American stock ?

Reason I ask is the very definite preference to drive on what may well be the best peak-time serviced stretch of Bus Route in the State.

I would personally be loath to encourage a single extra vehicle on to this road at Peak Times,as it will only contribute negatively to the commuting wellbeing of MY passengers,whilst only serving to facilitate your own specific perceived needs.

I'd recommend contacting UCD's admin with a view to sourcing a Taxsaver ticket and keeping your costs down to a minimum...even a pair of Leapcards loaded with a Rambler would give you some flexibility to leave your Jam-Jar at home even for one day per week ?

:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Wow. That was really uncalled for. I would still be very grateful for some useful comments on my orginal query: how bad is the traffic on the N11 between Cabinteely.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

I'm with Alek and others on this... :confused: I think it utterly tragic - to say the least - to witness somebody so stubbornly insistent at driving such a short, direct distance already excellently-served (for now) by multiple, frequent bus routes. No wonder we have such chronic road traffic issues across the city and no wonder bus services are being continually squeezed and fares increased...

Speechless... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

What age is the little boy? How far is the creche from where the OP works? Do they need to have prams etc that would need assembling/disassembly, maybe in the rain or whatever?

I'd be asking questions like that before becoming a judgemental, high horse boob tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Wow. That was really uncalled for. I would still be very grateful for some useful comments on my orginal query: how bad is the traffic on the N11 between Cabinteely.

Never mind all the people telling you not to drive on this thread. They need to mind their own business and only comment if they're going to answer your question.

At peak times its 45 minutes+ from ucd to cabinteely. Will rarely be over an hour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, I can see that you're not getting the feedback you're looking for but in a nutshell, the Dublin Bus service on the N11 is superb, especially from Foxrock Church where you can get the 46A or 145.

The volume of traffic on the N11 from Cabinteeley to Donnybrook during school term is chronic, major bottlenecks you would encounter would be Foxrock Church, White's Cross, Brewery Road, Stillorgan Cross, Mt Merrion and Foster's Ave.

A fair number of cars turn left at White's Cross heading for the M50 and Sandyford Industrial Estate but more traffic joins than leaves at the next few junctions, especially at Oatlands College and Mt Merrion Ave. You really would be mad to drive it with the bus service that's there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, I can see that you're not getting the feedback you're looking for but in a nutshell, the Dublin Bus service on the N11 is superb, especially from Foxrock Church where you can get the 46A or 145.

The volume of traffic on the N11 from Cabinteeley to Donnybrook during school term is chronic, major bottlenecks you would encounter would be Foxrock Church, White's Cross, Brewery Road, Stillorgan Cross, Mt Merrion and Foster's Ave.

A fair number of cars turn left at White's Cross heading for the M50 and Sandyford Industrial Estate but more traffic joins than leaves at the next few junctions, especially at Oatlands College and Mt Merrion Ave. You really would be mad to drive it with the bus service that's there.

In fairness the 145 is crap at peak times. I get it everyday and on average two go straight past my stop because they are totally full. Then when I do eventually get on I rarely get a seat and have to stand for the whole journey. If I could drive I certainly would. If op is going from cabinteely to ucd you wouldnt take the n11 either. You can go through Blackrock and through some estates and it is far quicker and traffic isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SeaDaily wrote: »
    In fairness the 145 is crap at peak times. I get it everyday and on average two go straight past my stop because they are totally full. Then when I do eventually get on I rarely get a seat and have to stand for the whole journey. If I could drive I certainly would. If op is going from cabinteely to ucd you wouldnt take the n11 either. You can go through Blackrock and through some estates and it is far quicker and traffic isn't bad.

You are saying this: https://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Bray+Road&daddr=53.3001422,-6.1788678+to:53.3099792,-6.1984895+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=53.29272,-6.169167&spn=0.085163,0.244446&sll=53.292105,-6.173458&sspn=0.042582,0.122223&geocode=FRXBLAMd7wSi_w%3BFa5LLQMdzbeh_ylfbTw9wQhnSDEzxt7UpbS9yQ%3BFRtyLQMdJ2uh_ynB39K51ghnSDFgMdO-2_Giyg%3BFXtnLQMd3Rih_w&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=13&via=1,2&t=m&z=12 is quicker than this: https://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Bray+Road&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=53.295388,-6.169853&spn=0.085158,0.244446&sll=53.264597,-6.157494&sspn=0.021305,0.061111&geocode=FRXBLAMd7wSi_w%3BFXtnLQMd3Rih_w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=14&t=m&z=12 ? :confused:

Never mind all the people telling you not to drive on this thread. They need to mind their own business and only comment if they're going to answer your question.

At peak times its 45 minutes+ from ucd to cabinteely. Will rarely be over an hour though.

Mmmmm....For my own part I'm not TELLING the OP anything,I am however suggesting an alternative POV ;)

I would equally suggest reviewing some of the advice offered also,as it may verge on the anti-social,particularly if you happen to live in a Blackrock "Estate" Rat-Run...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Foxrock church is normally the start of the traffic on the n11 in the morning. It's usually 25 minutes from there to clear mount merrion. It can go up to an hour some mornings, and others you can drive straight through.

Coming home it wouldn't normally be that bad. Fosters avenue junction is the first bottle neck - from whatever direction you're coming from. On the n11 its normally back before the flyover, can't be good coming down fosters ave either. It's normally stop start until past whites cross, but normally a full flow gets through all the lights (i.e. you aren't stopped looking at a green light). Brewery Road junction the next bottle neck.

If you have any flexibility/ understanding boss, you could try experimenting leaving closer to 9 - you might miss the traffic that way.

Going as far as ucd isn't as bad on the n11 as being faced with getting into town. However, stillorgan is the main headwreacker on that route. I try to park up in cabinteely a few times a week to cycle in as it happens. I don't have the children with me so its not an issue, but most mornings i am quicker than i would be in the car! A lot park up to get the 46a at foxrock too.

thanks for all the helpful responses, sounds quite difficult alright (especially compared to our current location: walking distance to work/childminder). We will probably have to revise plans a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

thanks for all the helpful responses, sounds quite difficult alright (especially compared to our current location: walking distance to work/childminder). We will probably have to revise plans a bit.
    You are not going to beat that convenience, however cabinteely isn't a bad location. Any route towards ucd has issues in the morning - at least there are other options from cabinteely - the childminding issue won't be there once there's schools in the equation (assuming you'd be going to a local school if you move). I'd take the n11 over the rock road or from dundrum direction anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 14 Fodo

Yeah you can't rely in buses here. Driving is the way to go. Can be a bit slow at peak times but infinitely better that sitting next to some smelly individual emitting noxious odours on a clapped out bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I travel along this corridor every morning (on a Bus Éireann service as opposed to DB, but still gives me a bit of an insight into traffic), and would agree about the congestion in the Stillorgan/UCD bit. From looking down at the traffic I can't understand why more don't switch to public transport and the bus lanes. Personally I'd put up with standing on a bus over being behind a wheel. The 145 has a decent service frequency too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Perhaps the OP could do a dry run? Anytime I've moved I've always done that first, as other peoples experience is usually subjective to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Perhaps the OP could do a dry run? Anytime I've moved I've always done that first, as other peoples experience is usually subjective to them.

OP intends doing so...
    We will test ride before moving but would be grateful for commuters' input on this. Thanks a million

For the record there are extra buses on the 145 that operate at the following times that should reduce the pressure on getting onto a bus:

St Brendan's College (between Bray and Shankill): 07:45, 08:00, 08:15 and 08:30
    Loughlinstown Hospital: 07:40, 07:50, 08:00 and 08:10

Fodo wrote: »
    Yeah you can't rely in buses here. Driving is the way to go. Can be a bit slow at peak times but infinitely better that sitting next to some smelly individual emitting noxious odours on a clapped out bus

What clapped out buses are these?

The oldest buses in Donnybrook are 12 years old.

Hi
    We are thinking of moving to Cabinteely. We both work in UCD 9-5 (well longer but officially that's the working hours) and would be driving mostly. Is the N11 a total nightmare to get there and back around these times? I know if we left the house at 7.30am we would be grand but that doesn't make much sense for work (no flexitime etc). We will test ride before moving but would be grateful for commuters' input on this. Thanks a million

Ps sorry if this has been discussed to death, did a few searches on boards before posting

I wonder if the OP would have been better placed in the Motoring forum...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

In the car vs bus issue, alot would depend on how exactly how close to the N11 you are, and whether childcare would be available in Cabinteely, or at the UCD end.

On a cost basis, the taxsaver tickets are great value, even with recent increases would be under €600 pp for the year (assuming a 41% marginal tax rate), you'd easily spend that 1,200ish a year just on petrol.

Hi Mods,
    My original query has now been answered, would it bepossible the lock the thread? Thanks a mill

Advertisement