Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40" Wood Turning Lathe in Aldi on Sept 8th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Yes direct conversion is less, but when you take into account higher running costs for a business here and higher wage bills.....I don't think that is a bad conversion.

I wouldn't be buying the lathe though or any other tools from these sort of supermakets, but that is my personal opinion, if I can't afford good quality I would rather go without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Sorry but its more likely to put someone off wood turning if they buy it thinking of wood turning as a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 liamofT

Looks similar to Sealey model here:
    http://www.joemckenna.ie/machines/lathes/sealey-wood-lathe-1000mm-39-1-2hp-375watt

Was initially tempted myself but I dont like the what looks like painted square tubes bolted to head stock.
    Your worst enemy in turning is chatter and this design worrys me especially for long work like chair legs
    Does not mention if it is induction motor, at that price I doubt it

If Aldi had gone for the midi type lathe with cast iron bed like this one I might have bitten:
    http://www.joemckenna.ie/machines/lathes/charnwood-lathe-vari-speed-12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I wouldn't be buying the lathe though or any other tools from these sort of supermakets, but that is my personal opinion, if I can't afford good quality I would rather go without.

That is a point, serious tool users stay away. But for learning, maybe, like the plunge router and box of bits for €40 ~ I now had a good idea as to what router I should buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 johnonthehill

Hi
    I bought an Aldi lathe and I am delighted with it.
    For sure there are many short comings when compared with a serious lathe at a serious price. The pieces I have turned look very well and have surprised my missus no end. I have given family members turned egg cups, candlesticks and boxes which would not have been any better had they been turned on a lathe costing €000's. Better to buy a basic entry level system and see if it is for you.
    Already I am looking at upgrading to a JET 1221VS which I would not have bought as a first machine. The Aldi lathe is a value for money education tool.
    Buying an expensive lathe does not make you a good turner out of the box.
    It's more likely to set you up for disappointment.

Johnonthehill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

Ach who needs a lathe, use your table saw :eek:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EHRhh11rWs

Advertisement