Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Screw for Opel lights

Options
  • 21-09-2014 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

What is the name of this type screw in photos attached as thread is gone and rear lights on zafira not tightening properly as a result. The white securing nuts are fine, just trying to figure out what these are called

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd say they're part of the cluster and not a seperate part.

Try putting some epoxy glue on the big threads and bolt it into the cluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Only problem is screw wont tighten lights as small thread is damaged. I can sort big thread easy enough

It wouldn't be any harm to clean up and lubricate the fine threads, if unscrewing the plastic nut ended up in the screw detaching from the cluster, its probably having a hard time turning freely.

Putting the screw into a vice or using a pliers, will the plastic screw turn?

I'm guessing the whole thing just spins in the light cluster when you tighten it?

Get some wire wool/sandpaper in your hand, grip it round the threads and unscrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

The plastic nut ends up stopping rigid about halfway in. Access to top nut an absolute c**t and can only tighten blind by hand.

Can you get another nut with the same thread to clean it up with? A wingnut and washer may do the trick instead of the plastic one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

sounds like a good swap...now what will I do with the Opel lights?

Advertisement