Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Engineer 2016

• 01-01-2013 9:55pm

So, anyone else looking to submit their Chartership Report this year for Engineers Ireland? I've drafted my report and essays and am awaiting feedback on them from my supporters.

Does anyone have any advice for what to do/what not to do when seeking Chartership?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The one piece of advice I would give is that if you get to the interview stage you are sorted. It isnt a job interview you are going for. There isnt 500 candidates going for one job. If 500 candidates are at CEng standard 500 candidates will be awarded CEng status. So prepare for the interview like it was a job interview but on the day relax and realize that it is just a review of your report.

PM me your email address and I'll sort you out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭EngIreland

Spoke with Roseanne in our membership department who deals with Chartered Engineer applications and she had a few tips (which you may already be aware of )

Hope they help and do not be afraid to give her a bell on 01 665 1300 if you have any further questions.

• Make sure you read all the information thoroughly in the Regulations and Guidance Notes. Ensure your report contains every element required. If you are thinking of doing something different to the regulations, please contact her asap.
    • Give your supporters enough time to read the report and allow them enough time to originally sign it. One copy of the report needs to be originally signed.
    • Application needs be submitted on or before the 25 January at 5pm.
    • Get a fresh pair of eyes on your application by getting someone else to check spelling, grammar and syntax. The assessors are very strict on it. They need to ensure that the report is written using the first person singular and that you provide examples of your significant engineering work.

• Do not submit a report over the word count or not signed by your supporters as it will be returned to you immediately.
    • If your report contains pictures or drawings, they need to go into the appendix at the back and the appendix should not exceed six pages.

I received an e-mail from Engineers Ireland yesterday on this. Thought this info might be good for any people looking at chartership this year:
    You may be interested in applying for the Registered Professional Title of Chartered Engineer. If you are interested in applying, the 2013 deadlines for applications under the current regulations are 25 January 2013, and 28 June 2013.

For further information on how to apply please visit:

http://www.engineersireland.ie/membership/registered-titles/chartered.aspx

So, everyone set to apply by tomorrow? Have everything sorted but just need the reports bound (and the cheque!).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Nothing like the last minute panic!

Are they allowing soft copy submissions? they did last year but it was a fiasco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dónal wrote: »
    So, everyone set to apply by tomorrow?

1180820892TNuDRl.jpg

Ask me in a few hours :D
    EPR over 3500 words, check.
    Essay 1, check.
    Essay 2, nyaaaaaaa but I'll have it done.

Binding. There's a machine around here someplace....

Cheque... waitaminute, cheque??? Feck's sake, I've never even had a chequebook. They'd better be okay with cash or visa :D

Credit cards will be accepted as payment when you submit your application.
    We can take your details over the phone also.

Alas we are not accepting soft copies of applications, hard copy only please.

EngIreland wrote: »

Why not? Surely its not a complicated thing to do?

Excellent!

@godtabh - We are looking at our IT Infrastructure following our system failing last year and it will be put in place for future applications but it wasn't possible to have it ready for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

How many on average apply at each deadline? Just curious really.

I intend applying soon, possibly for the summer deadline.

Oh right, so I don't have to send a soft copy of it at all? That's a bit disappointing, I've spend ages putting together different scanned pages!

budhabob wrote: »
    How many on average apply at each deadline? Just curious really.

I intend applying soon, possibly for the summer deadline.

At the last CEng briefing I went to they mentioned roughly 250 per session ie Jan and July. It sky rocketed for a couple of years

@Donal - apologies for any confusion. I meant to infer that no soft copies on their own can be accepted. It has to be a hard copy application with soft copy included as back up.

@Donal - apologies for any confusion. I meant to infer that no soft copies on their own can be accepted. It has to be a hard copy application with soft copy included as back up.

Excellent, thanks for the clarification. Final question - what email address do I send it to?

To answer my own question for anyone else reading this - I rang Engineers Ireland and they advised that I should keep it handy (and backed up!) and to submit it electronically only if they request it.

Done!
    /legs it to the print office to bind up and the car for clyde road....

...and made it with 28 whole minutes to spare and I think I was the last one in before the deadline :D

Sparks wrote: »
    ...and made it with 28 whole minutes to spare and I think I was the last one in before the deadline :D

I was chatting to the lady taking the reports, she said every year they have panicked people calling near five saying they are stuck on the M50.

Congrats on getting it in by the way!

• Advertisement

Yeah, they thought they'd have a few stuck in the rain and traffic today allright. Somewhere around 80 submissions today though according to the ladies manning the desk taking the applications in.

Yeah, they thought they'd have a few stuck in the rain and traffic today allright. Somewhere around 80 submissions today though according to the ladies manning the desk taking the applications in.

That seems low. I did mine in 2009 and there was over 200 applications. Took me ages to get my interview (i also had to turn down the first 2 for college exames/holidays which didnt help!)

Pre bust times I think the average was 60-80 applications for session. Then people had time on their hand and that figure soared

godtabh wrote: »
    That seems low. I did mine in 2009 and there was over 200 applications. Took me ages to get my interview (i also had to turn down the first 2 for college exames/holidays which didnt help!)

Pre bust times I think the average was 60-80 applications for session. Then people had time on their hand and that figure soared

I'm wondering if they have reached a stable figure now - I'm 5 and a bit years out and I applied this year, so I started work in 2007 basically at the peak of it all. As chartership is seen as more a Civil thing (rightly or wrongly) and given the reduced numbers working in this country in construction, maybe 80 is the normal figure again for a post Celtic Tiger Ireland.

godtabh wrote: »
    That seems low. I did mine in 2009 and there was over 200 applications.
    I thought, from the way she said it, that she meant they'd had 80 applications just that day alone. Could have been wrong though...

I thought, from the way she said it, that she meant they'd had 80 applications just that day alone. Could have been wrong though...

Could be. I think the peak for one year was close to 300 but maybe now they are at 160 now

Dear Applicant,

I refer to your application for a professional title with Engineers Ireland.

Your Engineering Practice Report has now been assessed and we are pleased to inform you that you have been approved to progress to the Professional Interview stage of the Review.

Cool.

Dónal wrote: »
    Cool.

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lolly2345

Hi there,

I also submitted my report in January this year and got notification that I will be called for interview.

I'm wondering does anyone have any tips or guidance (I have read the regulations and guidance notes numerous times) on the type of questions that might be asked at interview? I know they will be specific to the particular field (I'm in highways / project management), but even an indication would be great. And I understand they ask about industry developments, ethics and things like that, does anyone have any idea of the type of slant these questions would take?

Do people generally bring something in to talk through during their 10 minute presentation? I was thinking about doing Powerpoint slides and printing them out, would this be advised?

A lot of people say once you get through to interview you are sure to pass unless you mess it up....but I would rather not be in that small minority!! :)

Any advice gratefully accepted! Cheers

You arent sure to pass once you've been asked to interview. If you can demonstrate that what you have written in your report is actually your experience and you can verbalise it you should be fine.

I'm doing interview prep with a few clients and something that has come up with nearly all of them. They are getting cocky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hi All,

I plan on submitting my submission in January 2014 as I have too much on this year, so giving myself a decent run in to the submission date.

Can someone give a rough indication of timelines from submission date, to call for interview, to interview, to response?

Its more so just to plan out my timings.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Advertisement