Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alcoholic ginger beer - recipe suggestions for first batch

• 05-07-2012 9:05pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I´m hoping to make some alcoholic ginger beer in about two weeks time and need a definitive recipe that I can use for the first run.

I want to make about 20 litres and achieve an ABV of about 4%, without using a kit.

It seems relatively easy to make it from first principles of brewing, not to mention much cheaper, but I´d like some tips on how to make it.

Is yeast the best way to achieve this level of fermentation? I´ve been reading about ginger beer plants and kefir water grain versions but these seem to be only mildly alcoholic.

Should I go with spray malt? Can anyone recommend any more ingredients to give it more flavour?

What has worked for you?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Easy Peasy.

The recipie i would use is as follows:

2kg of fresh ginger root

2kilos of sugar or malt extract

10 lemons

Champagne yeast

Chop and boil the ginger in 2 litres of water.

Dissolve the sugar in your fermentor in boiling water

Add your lemons

Add the ginger and boiling water

Top up to 20 litres untill the mixture is "blood temperature"

Pitch your yeast

Cover.

Leave it two weeks to ferment then strain it into a secondary vessel(preferably with a tap)...prime the mixture with sugar,leave it to settle a few days then decant it into bottles.

Simples!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

do you add the lemon juice or the 10 lemons choped whole

do you add the lemon juice or the 10 lemons choped whole

You can do either..some people report that the lemon skins give it too much "zest" whereas other people like it like that.

I personally like the skins as the juice from even 20 lemons doesnt look like much in a 20 litre brew.

A recipie like this is all about experimenting..you could make say 10 litres with the skins and the other 10 without and see which your prefer.

Likewise you could make some with sugar and some with spraymalt,some people like to add cinamon or cloves..the posibilities are endless and it costs peanuts to make.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Fantastic, this is exactly wat I was looking for.

How much dextrose should I add for bottle conditioning?

Ravelleman wrote: »

Batch prime it in your secondary..i'd say 100g of sugar mixed with warm water chucked into the brew should do it...again is all about experimenting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to this now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Degsy wrote: »
    You can do either..some people report that the lemon skins give it too much "zest" whereas other people like it like that.

I personally like the skins as the juice from even 20 lemons doesnt look like much in a 20 litre brew.

A recipie like this is all about experimenting..you could make say 10 litres with the skins and the other 10 without and see which your prefer.

Likewise you could make some with sugar and some with spraymalt,some people like to add cinamon or cloves..the posibilities are endless and it costs peanuts to make.

I'm going to make this in the next week or so. Thanks for the info

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That's similar enough to the recipe I used for mine. There was a call for some powdered ginger in mine too. Ended up a bit spicy for my liking. My own rule is 10g of sugar / dextrose at priming time per litre for a nice fizzy drink. Adjust downwards according to your taste (I like very fizzy).

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

I used this today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jul/11/nigel-slater-classic-ginger-beer-recipe

pretty simple and doubled ingredients for a 5 litre plastic water bottle size fermenter. I boiled everything and added molasses sugar and will let cool for 24 hours till tomorrow and then will sieve into the fermenter and pitch yeast. leave for 2 weeks and bottle condition depending on size of bottle for a small batch like this 5 litres. Ill prob use 500ml bottles with half teaspoon in each.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

The same as for any beer, a level teaspoon for every 500ml bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I´m hoping to make some alcoholic ginger beer in about two weeks time and need a definitive recipe that I can use for the first run.

Is yeast the best way to achieve this level of fermentation? I´ve been reading about ginger beer plants and kefir water grain versions but these seem to be only mildly alcoholic.

Should I go with spray malt? Can anyone recommend any more ingredients to give it more flavour?

I make a lot of alcoholic ginger beer, and I have also made it at very high strength (over 10% with unrefined cane sugar and spraymalt) and made it into wines (still and sparkling) with honey. Its a fun platform for experimenting.

You can make it as cheap as can be with plain sugar (~€1-1.50 per 5L) but it responds very well to using better fermentables. I like my ginger beer to have a beer consistency so I favour using spraymalt in it. Its the priciest way to make it, but it is good and full of flavour. However I tend to make it around 5-5.5% ABV, in future I will make it weaker as it is normally drank chez moi after the pub. This also makes it a bit cheaper to make.

I have good success with mixing spraymalt and unrefined cane sugar with it, this is another way to keep the costs down or bulk it up cheaply.

I use a potato/vegetable peeler to zest the lemons, I don't add the pith. I use a food processor to blend the ginger into a pulp and then boil that. I strain the result into the fermenter and bag the pulp and lemon peel into a closed muslin bag and add it to the fermenter (you dont want ginger pulp clogging up your siphon or bottling tap).

Also consider making beer with pure honey, especially those really interesting strong flavoured honeys.

Completely forgot about my latest batch of this stuff with the result that it was almost 4 weeks in the primary..i have to say i never tasted anythinng like it,absolutely delicious.

The colour is deep brown and there's a lovely taste of ginger and not just an overriding lemon flavour.

My conclusion from this batch is the longer you leave in the fermentor the better it will be(by a long shot!).

I'm gonna make another batch this week using spraymalt instead of sugar,it cant help but make it even better imo.:)

Hmmm, where can I get champagne yeast?

Also, where can I get 2kg of ginger without remortgaging the house?

Hmmm, where can I get champagne yeast?

The yeast you can get online from homebrewcompany.ie...buy loads coz you're paying a fiver for delivery.

Ginger is available in all larger tescos and its really not very expensive,mine cost about a fiver for a few big chunks of it.

Asian shops are the best spot for a large amount like that. Lidl have recently started selling ginger at around half the price that tesco charge.

Khannie wrote: »
    Asian shops are the best spot for a large amount like that. Lidl have recently started selling ginger at around half the price that tesco charge.

Izzat so?

Interesting..must check that out!

Yeah, I thought tesco were a rip for the oul' ginger.

That's what I figured. There's a Lidl near my house so I'll check it out there. I'll get the champagne yeast in the home brew shop in Rathmines. I imagine they have it there.

Pretty sure that shop in Rathmines has closed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Khannie wrote: »
    Pretty sure that shop in Rathmines has closed. :(

It has.
    That's what I figured. There's a Lidl near my house so I'll check it out there. I'll get the champagne yeast in the home brew shop in Rathmines. I imagine they have it there.

Ebay!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Lalvin-Champagne-Yeast-EC-1118-Homebrew-/180821641837?pt=Home_Brew&hash=item2a19cf4a6d

The fiver per delivery on homebrewwest is a killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

The Beer Club HQ
    Next Door Off Licence
    Sundrive
    Dublin 12
    they sell homebrew stuff online or over the counter

engrish? wrote: »
    The fiver per delivery on homebrewwest is a killer.

Use teh delivery charge to get a few other things..if you're making ginger beer get some spraymalt instead of sugar,a hydrometer or some kit or other.

Use teh delivery charge to get a few other things..if you're making ginger beer get some spraymalt instead of sugar,a hydrometer or some kit or other.

Yeah usually try to do that alright but I'm sometimes missing just one thing then I have to do a whole new order!

What kind of OG should I be looking for here?

Managed to get the last sachet of this in Next Door Off Licence as Ratsathome mentioned. Cheaper too! But thanks for the tip.

For anyone that's interested, they also had Cooper's kits but they seemed quite pricey.

Also, any kind of Asian market is the best bet for buying ginger. Aldi was €6.60/kg, Superquinn €4.50/kg and the Asian shop I tried was €3.30/kg. I also bought noodles while I was there. A good call.

Easy Peasy.

The recipie i would use is as follows:

2kg of fresh ginger root

2kilos of sugar or malt extract

10 lemons

Champagne yeast

Hey - I am going to make this at the weekend. I am going to make it in a 1 Gallon carboy. Shound I divide everything by 5 to get 4 litres? That would give me .5l space for the head etc. Do I still use an entire sachet of yeast?

So:

0.5kg Fresh Ginger Root

0.4kg Muntons Spraymalt (Medium is all I have) or 0.4kg Dextrose?

2.5 Lemons

1 Sachet of Champagne Yeast

Would that work or should I make a change?

Hey - I am going to make this at the weekend. I am going to make it in a 1 Gallon carboy. Shound I divide everything by 5 to get 4 litres? That would give me .5l space for the head etc. Do I still use an entire sachet of yeast?

So:

0.5kg Fresh Ginger Root

0.4kg Muntons Spraymalt (Medium is all I have) or 0.4kg Dextrose?

2.5 Lemons

1 Sachet of Champagne Yeast

Would that work or should I make a change?

Can anyone help me out here? Hoping to buy the supplies today!

Can anyone help me out here? Hoping to buy the supplies today!

That looks fine..you should get a nice strong brew from that!

If anything you could make up to 10 litres with those ingredients,i would say chuck in a kilo extra of sugar and another 4 lemons though.

That looks fine..you should get a nice strong brew from that!

If anything you could make up to 10 litres with those ingredients,i would say chuck in a kilo extra of sugar and another 4 lemons though.

Deadly - thanks!

• Advertisement

Deadly - thanks!

Get going then and let us know how you get on!:)

Advertisement